ZMF Verite Open
Feb 29, 2024 at 9:52 PM Post #9,466 of 9,511
Whoever own a Verite should purchase a tube amplifier . I know this comment came out of nowhere. I missed a lot from my Verite by not purchasing tube amp for Verite. Bought affordable OTL tube ta26s and i didnt expect Verite to evolve this much in sound. It is as if the driver now is energized with life and everything sound more realistic and holographic with longer decay, smooth, liquid like sound. Man i didnt know it make a lot of different.
I second this recommendation. As great as my silkwood VO sounds on my best SS amps, it really goes higher when I plug into either of my tube amps. One is a transformer-coupled design, compact but very powerful (Icon Audio HP8), and the other is a compact but nice-sounding OTL (Woo WA3).

The VO is one of the headphones that never sounds bad (I don't think that's possible) but scales like mad with different and/or better amps.

Feb 29, 2024 at 10:07 PM Post #9,467 of 9,511
I second this recommendation. As great as my silkwood VO sounds on my best SS amps, it really goes higher when I plug into either of my tube amps. One is a transformer-coupled design, compact but very powerful (Icon Audio HP8), and the other is a compact but nice-sounding OTL (Woo WA3).

The VO is one of the headphones that never sounds bad (I don't think that's possible) but scales like mad with different and/or better amps.
Absolutely agree - VO sounds great on SS but on Eufonika OTC sounds wondeful and on Crackatwoa, it's magic!!!!!!

Mar 2, 2024 at 9:25 AM Post #9,468 of 9,511
Verite saves the day. Sold my Auteur Classic because I was finding I preferred my Verite for jazz and classical, and my Atrium for rock and blues. The one exception was the Grateful Dead/Dead & Co. The Auteur Classic was the perfect “Deadphone,” as coined by Lucky Leo, I think. But I couldn’t see keeping another expensive headphone around just for that (silly me). So this morning, I was in a Dead mood (having just bought tickets to see them with my son at the Sphere in Vegas this summer) and put on the Atrium, but it wasn’t sounding right - just dull. Switched over to the Verite and found it made the music come alive in comparison. Hard to explain why most rock sounds better to me on the Atrium, but not this. Must be the band’s tonal balance and live recording mix. Auteur Classic would be better still, and maybe someday I’ll have to buy another one, but until then, Verite saves the day.

Mar 4, 2024 at 7:07 AM Post #9,469 of 9,511

From reading a few threads, I know the hp8 is a bit better than the wa3. But wondering how the wa2 fair against the hp8 , knowing that it bested the wa3? Can’t decide between wa2 and hp8, I only use VO as my headphone.

Mar 4, 2024 at 7:24 AM Post #9,470 of 9,511
IMG_3983.jpeg

Wanted to share some Haitian art with ZMF art and also a great track AND a comment on pads.
IMG_4003.jpeg

The live from union chapel.

I’ve seen so much love for the Be2 pads for the VO and I do like the warmth and macro dynamics but the stage collapses too much for me. When I switched to the universe suede and using that song, the stage opens up so much, I have a hard time going back to Be2s. Only downside is the lost of bass with the suede. That’s the only problem with pad rolling, they each do something special but none give you the warmth plus the bass plus the wide and deep staging. If the uni suede was just a tad thinner ( bringing closer to ears) it would be perfect!

Mar 4, 2024 at 7:56 AM Post #9,471 of 9,511
IMG_3983.jpeg

Wanted to share some Haitian art with ZMF art and also a great track AND a comment on pads.
IMG_4003.jpeg

I’ve seen so much love for the Be2 pads for the VO and I do like the warmth and macro dynamics but the stage collapses too much for me. When I switched to the universe suede and using that song, the stage opens up so much, I have a hard time going back to Be2s. Only downside is the lost of bass with the suede. That’s the only problem with pad rolling, they each do something special but none give you the warmth plus the bass plus the wide and deep staging. If the uni suede was just a tad thinner ( bringing closer to ears) it would be perfect!
Beautiful picture!

PS. I also have that track in my usual playlist and sounds great with the VO. That guitar...

Edit: Check this track from Stevie Ray Vaughan (next track in my playlist to the one you mentioned). Love the guitars with the VO...

1709557688368.png

Last edited:
Mar 4, 2024 at 4:08 PM Post #9,472 of 9,511
IMG_3983.jpeg
IMG_4003.jpeg

Re pad rolling the VO, I must be simple-minded (or -eared) -- because after I bought my new VO in late '20, the sound with those stock pads was (still is) so wonderful that I would never pad roll this headphone. Honestly, the thought has never occurred to me.

There are very few things in my audio collection I won't tweak in this or that way, but pads on the VO are one of them.

Mar 14, 2024 at 12:43 PM Post #9,473 of 9,511
Selling my VO if anyone is interested, i really like it, but i am interested in other stuff right now and don't want to hoard too many headphones. I might get the Caldera Closed.
Cheers!

Mar 14, 2024 at 2:28 PM Post #9,474 of 9,511
From reading a few threads, I know the hp8 is a bit better than the wa3. But wondering how the wa2 fair against the hp8 , knowing that it bested the wa3? Can’t decide between wa2 and hp8, I only use VO as my headphone.
Hopefully somebody here has heard both. I have never heard the WA2 but do have the utmost respect for Woo Audio in general. That said, my HP8 is a fantastic mate for my VO. Love the combo. The only advantage (on paper) is the impedance switch, which provides more versatility for different types of headphones. If the VO is your one and only (and always will be), that advantage will not matter to you. It's probably a win-win situation.

Mar 16, 2024 at 5:06 PM Post #9,475 of 9,511
These headphones are so fawking addicting.

I doubt there've been any silent revisions to the VO since my first pair back in 2021, which was Desert Ironwood. Still, I swear my pair of Blackwoods are punching harder than that Ironwood, and even more than I recall either pair of Atriums (Cherry / Stab. Resin). Such a great combination of finesse, dynamics, and fun.

Mar 17, 2024 at 9:52 AM Post #9,476 of 9,511
These headphones are so fawking addicting.

I doubt there've been any silent revisions to the VO since my first pair back in 2021, which was Desert Ironwood. Still, I swear my pair of Blackwoods are punching harder than that Ironwood, and even more than I recall either pair of Atriums (Cherry / Stab. Resin). Such a great combination of finesse, dynamics, and fun.
You see when i first owned VO Blackwood i thought the bass was pretty shy but oh man once i know VO pair so well with OTL i just bought affordable TA26s and swap the tube with the latest Apos Ray Select after that... i am in heaven everything is so thick , tight, controlled, spacious, romantic, smooth, the bass was thumping the side of my head, i dont know what else to say. Compared to other gear non-ZMF in my collection VO was very hard to let go from my head once i listen to music with it. Very very addicting. Problem is i didnt have this experience when using SS amps. Once the chain is right , VO is a beast for sure. Definitely TOTL gear with the right chain.

Pssst i was planning to sell my VO for other gear but after i add OTL i cancel the plan to sell this masterpiece of a gear. Right now it is my favorite headphone (I also waiting for my AO. Addicted to ZMF sound.)

Last edited:
Mar 17, 2024 at 7:11 PM Post #9,478 of 9,511
Yeah, lately I've been giving the AC more time, since it's my new toy, but every time I go back to the Verite it always blows me away.

A few days ago I discovered this blues album and I've been listening to it with the AC. It sounded very good, I would even say great. Today I thought I'd switch to the Verite to see how it sounded, and man, how delicious, with that holographic and detailed, yet lush and euphonic sound. Just perfect and absolutely engaging.

If you like blues, this is a fun album to enjoy with Verite

1710716905107.png

Mar 17, 2024 at 7:30 PM Post #9,479 of 9,511
Yeah, lately I've been giving the AC more time, since it's my new toy, but every time I go back to the Verite it always blows me away.

A few days ago I discovered this blues album and I've been listening to it with the AC. It sounded very good, I would even say great. Today I thought I'd switch to the Verite to see how it sounded, and man, how delicious, with that holographic and detailed, yet lush and euphonic sound. Just perfect and absolutely engaging.

1710716905107.png
Thank you for the album recommendation. It really does sound amazing on the VO :thumbsup:

Mar 18, 2024 at 5:12 PM Post #9,480 of 9,511

I've been listening to Taj my entire adult life. He was "roots" before people even used the word. I'm pretty sure I saw him live once, but memories from those days tend to be ... uhm, fragmentary.

The first of his albums I heard--and IMHO the best--was "The Natch'l Blues" (link below). And yes, it sounds wonderful on the VO. I wish they'd mixed the bass a bit higher; then again, there's the amazing guitar of Jesse Ed Davis to balance out any flaws.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back