ZMF Verite Open
Mar 28, 2024 at 3:06 PM Post #9,496 of 9,511
Really impressed how well VO scales. Got a Feliks Envy with Western Electric 300b tubes. It simply sounds like a better version of Caldera with Bliss. Very curious to try Caldera on 300b amp now. But VO is just insanely beautiful with that chain.

Last edited:
Mar 29, 2024 at 9:03 AM Post #9,497 of 9,511
It simply sounds like a better version of Caldera with Bliss.
Wow! That's very interesting. I always thought the Verite is a little underrated, and overshadowed by the newer models.

I think it has its own character and deserves a place among the TOTL headphones

Mar 29, 2024 at 10:43 AM Post #9,498 of 9,511
Bit of a cross-post from the Pietus Maximus thread but I thought this might be a better place to ask:

Has anyone had ears on both the Pietus Maximus and Cayin iHA-6 with the VO? Would love to hear any comparisons. iHA-6 has the higher output impedance from the SE outputs which seems beneficial for something with a ton of mid-bass like the Atticus, but I'm not sure if it's really as crucial when it comes to synergizing with Verite
I haven't tried the iHA6 or the Pietus Maximus, but here's my experience with a high impedance output amp and I hope it helps (long story short): I tried a few amps for my Verite, including some Violectrics and Feliks Euforia. Although the VO sounded great with all of them, the one that sounded best to my ears was the Euforia, but I didn't want to get into tubes yet, so I decided to go with a Vio V222

In the meantime, I discovered the small and inexpensive Beyerdynamic A20 due to some positive comments in the “amplifiers for ZMFs” thread and bought it just out of curiosity. I had read before about the benefits of high impedance output for ZMF dynamics and it really clicked when I first heard the A20/VO combo. The Beyer is a simple amplifier without any technicalities, but its 100ohm output brings a “tactility” to the music that is wonderful. Everything sounds fuller, meatier and there is a more natural resonance, without loosing control or detail. Guitar plucks sound bold and vivid, the decay of piano notes is a bit longer and more natural, violins sound fuller....

My theory is that less damping factor allows the driver to move more freely (it can “breathe” more easily) and that's something good for a driver as stiff, fast and detailed as the Verite's.

In any case, maybe it's just me and of course it's not night and day, but I think it's noticeable and, if possible, worth a try. Just to mention that all the SS amplifiers that ZMF sells on their website usually include an output impedance switch, so...maybe I'm wrong, but it says something.

Mar 29, 2024 at 11:14 AM Post #9,499 of 9,511
I haven't tried the iHA6 or the Pietus Maximus, but here's my experience with a high impedance output amp and I hope it helps (long story short): I tried a few amps for my Verite, including some Violectrics and Feliks Euforia. Although the VO sounded great with all of them, the one that sounded best to my ears was the Euforia, but I didn't want to get into tubes yet, so I decided to go with a Vio V222

In the meantime, I discovered the small and inexpensive Beyerdynamic A20 due to some positive comments in the “amplifiers for ZMFs” thread and bought it just out of curiosity. I had read before about the benefits of high impedance output for ZMF dynamics and it really clicked when I first heard the A20/VO combo. The Beyer is a simple amplifier without any technicalities, but its 100ohm output brings a “tactility” to the music that is wonderful. Everything sounds fuller, meatier and there is a more natural resonance, without loosing control or detail. Guitar plucks sound bold and vivid, the decay of piano notes is a bit longer and more natural, violins sound fuller....

My theory is that less damping factor allows the driver to move more freely (it can “breathe” more easily) and that's something good for a driver as stiff, fast and detailed as the Verite's.

In any case, maybe it's just me and of course it's not night and day, but I think it's noticeable and, if possible, worth a try. Just to mention that all the SS amplifiers that ZMF sells on their website usually include an output impedance switch, so...maybe I'm wrong, but it says something.

I think there's definitely something to the impedance matching. At least with the Atrium it sounds a lot more constrained and overdamped from a too low impedance output, while from a high output impedance the sound is a bit more unleashed so to speak. I'm sure the Verite is the same way. A higher damping factor can sound great too though. Some people definitely prefer the more controlled sound out of a SS.

Mar 31, 2024 at 4:09 AM Post #9,500 of 9,511
I may be coming around on this high Z source for the VO idea. Maybe it was just getting used to it, or it was something specific to the VO with the Beyerdynamic A20. I like the Aeolus just fine with the A20. I recently got a Hagerman Tuba (one of the last before it was discontinued, lucky me). I haven’t even tried it with the Aeolus yet. I know I listened to the low Z out with some suitable headphones for a few minutes to test it, but the rest of the time has been high Z with the VO. I meant to compare high to low the other night, but just kept playing album after album until the wee hours instead. Just like I’m on my way to doing tonight.

This hobby is rough. I don’t get much sleep.

Mar 31, 2024 at 12:07 PM Post #9,501 of 9,511
I think I'll rule out Pietus Maximus since I do like having the options of either 10 or 100 ohm OI on the iHA-6. With that said, has anyone ever compared iHA-6 to A20?

Apr 1, 2024 at 3:40 PM Post #9,502 of 9,511
Caldera suede ultra perf pads are in the house. Gonna do a direct comparison with universe perf lambskin pass as those are my go to pads with my Ironwood VO. Also just gonna throw in the caldera ultra perf lambskin pads in the mix just for the hell of it. Will report back soon

Apr 12, 2024 at 7:02 PM Post #9,504 of 9,511
Wow! That's very interesting. I always thought the Verite is a little underrated, and overshadowed by the newer models.

I think it has its own character and deserves a place among the TOTL headphones
These are my 2 favorite headphones: IMO the TOTL dynamic vs the TOTL planar. They are very different, but go together like hand in glove.

I wouldn't want to do without either one...

Apr 13, 2024 at 3:53 PM Post #9,505 of 9,511
To be frankly honest I find them very similar in many things, with powerful amplification and right tube setup Verite might sound very simialar to Caldera maintaining larger stage and more analog natural dynamic driver timbre. Caldera has slightly more body to the instruments, slightly better imaging and overall timbre is a tad bit more neutral. Will be comparing both next days on Feliks Envy with WE300b tubes.

Last edited:
Apr 18, 2024 at 8:40 PM Post #9,506 of 9,511
Really impressed how well VO scales. Got a Feliks Envy with Western Electric 300b tubes. It simply sounds like a better version of Caldera with Bliss. Very curious to try Caldera on 300b amp now. But VO is just insanely beautiful with that chain.
I had the caldera on loan for a week and loved them but wouldn’t personally pay that money for them (everyone different I know). I bought the vos without hearing them after a recommendation from someone I trust very much, and prefer them to the calderas. They are the perfect compliment to my hek stealths and get equal listening time!

Apr 19, 2024 at 6:48 PM Post #9,507 of 9,511
Caldera suede ultra perf pads are in the house. Gonna do a direct comparison with universe perf lambskin pass as those are my go to pads with my Ironwood VO. Also just gonna throw in the caldera ultra perf lambskin pads in the mix just for the hell of it. Will report back soon
Any thoughts on the caldera suede ultra perf on VO?

Apr 19, 2024 at 7:26 PM Post #9,508 of 9,511
Any thoughts on the caldera suede ultra perf on VO?
This is strictly my opinion but Im gonna say it anyways.

I have been using zmf headphones and zmf pads since 2018. Back then, I remember from my own experience that zmf lambskin pads, solid or perforated, enhance the low end, add slight midbass, "tame the treble" and so on, while the suede pads enhance the vocals and top end by adding more air and depth to the sound. It smoothed out the low end and thinned the sound.

Thats no longer the case i suspect. I think it started with the caldera pads. When i used the suede caldera ultra perf pads with my VO, i immediately noticed a slight reduction of treble spikes in certain music. The vocals seem thicker with a hint more of weight. The sub bass is ever so bloomy but the midrange does rein in the low end without sounding too overpowering. The lambskin ultra perf pad adds some mid range sparkle to the sound where the low end is more tightly controlled over the suede but it does give the top end a kick of energy. the soundstage gets a bit narrow but the dynamics are bumped up ever so slightly. The suede pads add width to the sound and has better instrument seperation, IMO.

(All these were felt/measured by using my VO w/ a Feliks audio Euforia Evo.

Hope this helps....

Apr 19, 2024 at 9:54 PM Post #9,509 of 9,511
This is strictly my opinion AND Im gonna say it anyways.
FTFY....[Reg. TM; © bcowen: 2021.] Don't discount yourself with 'but'; you have a good ear! 👍

Apr 19, 2024 at 10:34 PM Post #9,510 of 9,511
IMG_7856.jpeg
[Stabilised Green]

Users who are viewing this thread

Back