ZMF Verite Open
Apr 20, 2024 at 10:45 AM Post #9,511 of 9,521
Apr 30, 2024 at 9:24 PM Post #9,512 of 9,521
My Verite is officially team Caldera Suede Ultra-Perf. I've been using Universe suede & occasionally BE2 suedes, but after some back and forth with the Universe today, these strike me as tonally very similar but just much more open sounding. They've also become my preferred pad on the Atrium and Aelous and have similar effects on those. On all 3 going back to the Universe suede everything is just slightly muffled in comparison. I love how I can get better sound out of headphones I've had for years! I see why Zach has said Caldera pad variants are what he plans to use on future models.
IMG_1530.jpeg

Apr 30, 2024 at 10:13 PM Post #9,513 of 9,521
My Verite is officially team Caldera Suede Ultra-Perf. I've been using Universe suede & occasionally BE2 suedes, but after some back and forth with the Universe today, these strike me as tonally very similar but just much more open sounding. They've also become my preferred pad on the Atrium and Aelous and have similar effects on those. On all 3 going back to the Universe suede everything is just slightly muffled in comparison. I love how I can get better sound out of headphones I've had for years! I see why Zach has said Caldera pad variants are what he plans to use on future models. IMG_1530.jpeg
Ma' man. I swap between the caldera ultra perf variants with my VO and AO and I have ended my research on Suedes on VO and Lambskin on the AO.

May 1, 2024 at 3:12 AM Post #9,514 of 9,521
My Verite is officially team Caldera Suede Ultra-Perf. I've been using Universe suede & occasionally BE2 suedes, but after some back and forth with the Universe today, these strike me as tonally very similar but just much more open sounding. They've also become my preferred pad on the Atrium and Aelous and have similar effects on those. On all 3 going back to the Universe suede everything is just slightly muffled in comparison. I love how I can get better sound out of headphones I've had for years! I see why Zach has said Caldera pad variants are what he plans to use on future models. IMG_1530.jpeg
Seems like this is the pad to try next. Thanks for sharing your experience.

I have been using Uni Suede pads on both my VO and Aeolus in past years. I have the Caldera Suede pads but didn’t really like them much as it takes away some degree of clarity, resolution esp. on the VO although there was an enhanced boost in the mid and sub-bass. Since the Ultra perf suede has holes in the inner lining, it may sound totally different with more air and staging.

May 1, 2024 at 4:22 PM Post #9,515 of 9,521
Seems like this is the pad to try next. Thanks for sharing your experience.

I have been using Uni Suede pads on both my VO and Aeolus in past years. I have the Caldera Suede pads but didn’t really like them much as it takes away some degree of clarity, resolution esp. on the VO although there was an enhanced boost in the mid and sub-bass. Since the Ultra perf suede has holes in the inner lining, it may sound totally different with more air and staging.
That's how I felt about the regular Caldera suede too--liked them at first but it just took away too much of the VO magic. The ultra-perf are really what I'd hoped they would be!

May 1, 2024 at 9:40 PM Post #9,516 of 9,521
That's how I felt about the regular Caldera suede too--liked them at first but it just took away too much of the VO magic. The ultra-perf are really what I'd hoped they would be!
@robo24 @shafat777
Good nudging from your sharing guys. Order placed for the caldera suede fully perforated pads for my VO. :)

May 1, 2024 at 10:35 PM Post #9,517 of 9,521
@robo24 @shafat777
Good nudging from your sharing guys. Order placed for the caldera suede fully perforated pads for my VO. :)
I think you ll appreciate the openness of these pads without having to compromise any aspect of the sound.

May 2, 2024 at 2:09 AM Post #9,518 of 9,521
Such bad influences. I’ve been delaying buying the new pad even though I know I want it. Maybe I can rationalize getting a new pad (and maybe a Pro cable as well) because I showed such restraint by not buying a stabilized set. The lamb ultra perf is almost permanently on my VO. I don’t think I’ve really given the other pads much of a chance. They just aren’t even close. I should probably pick up a few pad bags as well.

May 2, 2024 at 6:29 PM Post #9,520 of 9,521
Such bad influences. I’ve been delaying buying the new pad even though I know I want it. Maybe I can rationalize getting a new pad (and maybe a Pro cable as well) because I showed such restraint by not buying a stabilized set. The lamb ultra perf is almost permanently on my VO. I don’t think I’ve really given the other pads much of a chance. They just aren’t even close. I should probably pick up a few pad bags as well.
Swapped to the Caldera Ultra Perf lambs on my VO recently. There's just something so right about this combo, especially for classical / soundtracks.

I have been so happy with the lamb Be2 pads on my VO, I have had no desire to swap. Now y'all got me wanting to try the Caldera Ultra perf lamb and suede for myself. I have the lamb (currently on my AO). Will try it on the VO. No suedes have hit me just right on any open ZMFs yet. If more of you think the Caldera Ultra Perf suedes are great on the VO, I'll have to buy some.

May 2, 2024 at 7:06 PM Post #9,521 of 9,521
I have been so happy with the lamb Be2 pads on my VO, I have had no desire to swap. Now y'all got me wanting to try the Caldera Ultra perf lamb and suede for myself. I have the lamb (currently on my AO). Will try it on the VO. No suedes have hit me just right on any open ZMFs yet. If more of you think the Caldera Ultra Perf suedes are great on the VO, I'll have to buy some.
The Caldera Ultra Perfs are really good on the VO, but due to their design, they do change things up more than going from BE2/Universe/Auteur pads.

BE2 lambskin is still my favorite, but I could easily see some people preferring the Caldera Ultra Perfs. I'll be trying the Suede Caldera Ultra Perfs soon, ears permitting.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back