Campfire Audio Trifecta
Dec 1, 2023 at 4:16 PM Post #617 of 874
Still getting to know my Trifecta.

Would agree that these are not a one-and-done for all styles, but these are a keeper for sure. I am glad the sale price at ATA pushed me over the edge 🙂

I really enjoy them with epic doom, atmospheric goth, modern classical and seventies rock to name a few.

Some faster pace tracks can be hit and miss. Although, having said that this set continually suprises and throws curve balls to keep you on your toes.

I would encourage any owner to give Dead Can Dance a spin, e.g. Children Of The Sun off the Anastasis album.

One thing that did amaze me is the stage width. Awesome to my ears.

Happy listening friends.

Attachments

• 20231202_080236.jpg
    20231202_080236.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 0
Dec 3, 2023 at 11:56 AM Post #618 of 874
This week I joined the Trifecta club with buying the Trifecta Midnight Sky :L3000:
It's my first TOTL IEM and I'm very impressed by the soundstage and the air it is moving around. To me it really sounds life like back in the 90s on concerts with big speakers :heart_eyes:
Thanks for all your comments and assessments here. It showed me the way to buy it :relaxed:

IMG_20231130_141748-02.jpeg

Currently I'm in (bass-driven) audio heaven!

Dec 6, 2023 at 4:10 AM Post #619 of 874
After a week of owning the Trifecta, I wanted to share my thoughts.

I don't often make significant audio purchases, perhaps indulging once a year or two. My previous addition to the IEM stable was the Monarch MK II a year and a half ago to compliment the Z1Rs which I've owned since 2019. Only recently have been starting to feel that itch again but for something with a warm signature and some hard hitting, impactful bass. My heart was very much set on the FIR XE6 or 64audio Volur as the sets that would fuel my appetite for the years to come, both of which I have auditioned previously and was very much fond of. There was also the Fatfreq range which I had some curiosity towards, although my preference at this price point is very much to audition first before buying which wasn't a possibility here. Feeling the time was right and ready to take advantage of some sweet black Friday deals, I headed to my local dealer and was going back and forth, trying to decide between the Volur and XE6, until I was unexpectedly thrown a set of Trifectas to try.

As someone who ocasionally struggles to enjoy music without distracting myself someway or another, the second I popped the Trifectas in and hit play, I felt like I was melting into my chair truly encompassed by music. It created an experience like a relaxing evening with a glass of wine, without needing the wine. The sweet and thick bass, unique analog presentation, and expansive stage overwhelmed me, transporting me into the music in a way I haven't felt before. Make no mistake, this is no Harman-type IEM or something that will appeal to audio purists, but that's definitely not what is trying to be achieved here. That was quickly obvious to me. The abolsute 'wow' moment for me was teeing up The War On Drugs live album, having recently seen them in concert while on holiday and having a strong fondness of that moment in time. Nothing has taken me back to that concert as much as the Trifectas did.

The disclaimer here, I guess if you can call it that, is that I truly believe in diminishing returns in this hobby and haven't really heard much better than the Z1R or Monarch MK II for what they offer, therefore I was glad to part with my hard earned on something which offers a completely unique and different experience to those sets rather than trying to replace them. Having said that, if I was to go for a one-and-done, would I have chosen the XE6 or Volur, or even stuck with the Z1R or Monarch MK II over the Trifectas? I'm not so sure.

20231204_183153.jpg

Dec 6, 2023 at 6:33 AM Post #620 of 874

I don't often make significant audio purchases, perhaps indulging once a year or two. My previous addition to the IEM stable was the Monarch MK II a year and a half ago to compliment the Z1Rs which I've owned since 2019. Only recently have been starting to feel that itch again but for something with a warm signature and some hard hitting, impactful bass. My heart was very much set on the FIR XE6 or 64audio Volur as the sets that would fuel my appetite for the years to come, both of which I have auditioned previously and was very much fond of. There was also the Fatfreq range which I had some curiosity towards, although my preference at this price point is very much to audition first before buying which wasn't a possibility here. Feeling the time was right and ready to take advantage of some sweet black Friday deals, I headed to my local dealer and was going back and forth, trying to decide between the Volur and XE6, until I was unexpectedly thrown a set of Trifectas to try.

As someone who ocasionally struggles to enjoy music without distracting myself someway or another, the second I popped the Trifectas in and hit play, I felt like I was melting into my chair truly encompassed by music. It created an experience like a relaxing evening with a glass of wine, without needing the wine. The sweet and thick bass, unique analog presentation, and expansive stage overwhelmed me, transporting me into the music in a way I haven't felt before. Make no mistake, this is no Harman-type IEM or something that will appeal to audio purists, but that's definitely not what is trying to be achieved here. That was quickly obvious to me. The abolsute 'wow' moment for me was teeing up The War On Drugs live album, having recently seen them in concert while on holiday and having a strong fondness of that moment in time. Nothing has taken me back to that concert as much as the Trifectas did.

The disclaimer here, I guess if you can call it that, is that I truly believe in diminishing returns in this hobby and haven't really heard much better than the Z1R or Monarch MK II for what they offer, therefore I was glad to part with my hard earned on something which offers a completely unique and different experience to those sets rather than trying to replace them. Having said that, if I was to go for a one-and-done, would I have chosen the XE6 or Volur, or even stuck with the Z1R or Monarch MK II over the Trifectas? I'm not so sure.

20231204_183153.jpg
Great review and gorgeous shot. As a Z1R purist myself, I completely concur with your experience.

Dec 6, 2023 at 7:12 AM Post #621 of 874
am wondering if anyone has had any negative experiences with the Trifecta, as in, they tried it, with multiple DAPs (like an SP3000 and RS8 and an M17) and though it was total **** (not good at all!) I sold mine, and am since wondering if the problem is little old me. Can it really be that an IEM gets such high praise from so many quarters, even if it is a little divisive in opinion, and yet to me it sounded awful and tinny? I sold mine, no complaints from the new buyer for example that it was malfunctioning in any way, so I am thinking now somehow I missed a trick and should try to source one some day again. So, just wondering is anyone else has had a similar experience? Cheers.

Dec 6, 2023 at 8:31 AM Post #622 of 874
I bought a pair and it arrived!
It's the most dramatic box opening that i've ever had!

PXL_20231206_102819010.PORTRAIT.jpg

PXL_20231206_114701313.PORTRAIT.jpg

Where do i start... With the bad things i guess:
They are tip sensitive in that with my normal favourites, the Moondrop Springtips, are a weird choice. I think it has something to do with the pressure and because there is no pressure vent other than forward. Thankfully i have a ton of tips to try. The Springtips do require a perfect insertion (way?) or you lose like 80-100% of volume and bass, everything gets super muddy, it's weird, it's like the pressure of the IEM is pressed backwards into them when you try to insert them more and messing it up. Maybe it has to do something with the driver flex they have, that only appears when i'm inserting them, not when i'm moving my head, so i could not care less about the driver flex. Currently i'm switching between Sedna Crystals and Spinfit W1 and they seem to not have that problem that the Springtips have. Thankfully that will be sorted out in a day or so, because (and that was it with the negatives):
They are super comfortable. WITH ALMOST EVERY TIPS. I had them in for 2 3 hours and they just fit perfectly. I don't know why so many manufactures can't get the fit right, but these are a 10/10, the same as the Supermoon, they completely vanish.
I also like the cable, it's not a chonky one like the one from my Anni.

Now the most important thing: The sound.
Oh boy. OH BOY. It's not like listening to live music, it is live music. I got emotional like with no other IEM i've had yet, and only the Susvara (and to a lesser degree the 1266) on a 10k amp awoke these feelings.
It's not an unresolving IEM, but you can get more details for the price. The thing is, i don't even want to A/B the Trifecta with the Annihilator, it's exactly on the opposite side of the spectrum. I originally was shocked when i looked at the abomination of the frequency response graph of the Trifecta, but i have to say, it absolutely does not sound like it graphs. For me there is no shout in the midrange, no treble sharpness, no bass bleed that make the mids extremely uneven etc. Yes, these sound very unconventional but oh god, these sound fantastic. Soundstage is not only the largest in an IEM, it's also very tall. It's impressively big. You are in a concert hall listening to your favourite rock music and just don't care about any technicalities anymore that another IEM could have for the price. The speed feels real, the decay feels real, the not that extremely seperating ability feels real. When you are sitting (or standing) in any concert hall it's not possible to dissect every single instrument. My father was in a band and i visited his performances a lot and the Trifecta just warps me back to the time, same with big concerts like when i saw Iron Maiden or Nightwish. I close my eyes and i'm there again. The Trifecta makes the music just wash over you, engulfing you in it until the track, no, the whole album is over. I don't want to skip tracks with this thing, at the same time i want to listen to the next metal / rock song because i want to know how it sounds on the Trifecta. The bass is just a monster that has immense power when needed and leaves you just shocked at times. The timbre is... perfectly real.

This thing does want to play a bit louder than other IEM's, like being at a rock concert. Thankfully there is a sweet spot so i don't get blasted until i'm deaf. I actually did not visit a lot of concerts because of that reason, only the ones where i really wanted to experience the performance and knew that the band can actually sound good live.
These are hyper sensitive. I'm very happy that i have my RME ADI-2 DAC FS, this thing has an IEM output with an impedance of 0 ohms, so there is absolutely no noise floor or any interference. I can imagine that on a warm amp, or an amp that has a higher output impedance, this thing will get too muddy / warm with an audible noisefloor.

The Trifecta is the least IEM of all IEM's, like the 1266 is the least headphone of all headphones.

Yeah, this thing is a total banger. I'm so happy that i bought it. Thanks @Sajid Amit and @Rockwell75 .
I have to try to not tear up.

:gs1000smile::gs1000smile::gs1000smile::gs1000smile::gs1000smile::gs1000smile::gs1000smile::gs1000smile::gs1000smile::gs1000smile::gs1000smile::gs1000smile::gs1000smile::gs1000smile::gs1000smile::gs1000smile::gs1000smile::gs1000smile::gs1000smile::gs1000smile::gs1000smile::gs1000smile::gs1000smile::gs1000smile:

Edit: HA! FOUND ANOTHER NEGATIVE THING! The cable does not have a slider to prevent it from tangling! Absolut trash IEM, 2/10!

Last edited:
Dec 6, 2023 at 8:38 AM Post #623 of 874

PXL_20231206_102819010.PORTRAIT.jpg
PXL_20231206_114701313.PORTRAIT.jpg

They are tip sensitive in that with my normal favourites, the Moondrop Springtips, are a weird choice. I think it has something to do with the pressure and because there is no pressure vent other than forward. Thankfully i have a ton of tips to try. The Springtips do require a perfect insertion (way?) or you lose like 80-100% of volume and bass, everything gets super muddy, it's weird, it's like the pressure of the IEM is pressed backwards into them when you try to insert them more and messing it up. Maybe it has to do something with the driver flex they have, that only appears when i'm inserting them, not when i'm moving my head, so i could not care less about the driver flex. Currently i'm switching between Sedna Crystals and Spinfit W1 and they seem to not have that problem that the Springtips have. Thankfully that will be sorted out in a day or so, because (and that was it with the negatives):
They are super comfortable. WITH ALMOST EVERY TIPS. I had them in for 2 3 hours and they just fit perfectly. I don't know why so many manufactures can't get the fit right, but these are a 10/10, the same as the Supermoon, they completely vanish.

Oh boy. OH BOY. It's not like listening to live music, it is live music. I got emotional like with no other IEM i've had yet, and only the Susvara (and to a lesser degree the 1266) on a 10k amp awoke these feelings.
It's not an unresolving IEM, but you can get more details for the price. The thing is, i don't even want to A/B the Trifecta with the Annihilator, it's exactly on the opposite side of the spectrum. I originally was shocked when i looked at the abomination of the frequency response graph of the Trifecta, but i have to say, it absolutely does not sound like it graphs. For me there is no shout in the midrange, no treble sharpness, no bass bleed that make the mids extremely uneven etc. Yes, these sound very unconventional but oh god, these sound fantastic. Soundstage is not only the largest in an IEM, it's also very tall. It's impressively big. You are in a concert hall listening to your favourite rock music and just don't care about any technicalities anymore that another IEM could have for the price. The speed feels real, the decay feels real, the not that extremely seperating ability feels real. When you are sitting (or standing) in any concert hall it's not possible to dissect every single instrument. My father was in a band and i visited his performances a lot and the Trifecta just warps me back to the time, same with big concerts like when i saw Iron Maiden or Nightwish. I close my eyes and i'm there again. The Trifecta makes the music just wash over you, engulfing you in it until the track, no, the whole album is over. I don't want to skip tracks with this thing, at the same time i want to listen to the next metal / rock song because i want to know how it sounds on the Trifecta. The bass is just a monster that has immense power when needed and leaves you just shocked at times. The timbre is... perfectly real.

This thing does want to play a bit louder than other IEM's, like being at a rock concert. Thankfully there is a sweet spot so i don't get blasted until i'm deaf. I actually did not visit a lot of concerts because of that reason, only the ones where i really wanted to experience the performance and knew that the band can actually sound good live.
These are hyper sensitive. I'm very happy that i have my RME ADI-2 DAC FS, this thing has an IEM output with an impedance of 0 ohms, so there is absolutely no noise floor or any interference. I can imagine that on a warm amp, or an amp that has a higher output impedance, this thing will get too muddy / warm with a audible noisefloor.

The Trifecta is the least IEM of all IEM's, like the 1266 is the least headphone of all headphones.

Yeah, this thing is a total banger. I'm so happy that i bought it. Thanks @Sajid Amit and @Rockwell75 .

:gs1000smile::gs1000smile::gs1000smile::gs1000smile::gs1000smile::gs1000smile::gs1000smile::gs1000smile::gs1000smile::gs1000smile::gs1000smile::gs1000smile::gs1000smile::gs1000smile::gs1000smile::gs1000smile::gs1000smile::gs1000smile::gs1000smile::gs1000smile::gs1000smile::gs1000smile::gs1000smile::gs1000smile:

Edit: HA! FOUND ANOTHER NEGATIVE THING! The cable does not have a slider to prevent it from tangling! Absolut trash IEM, 2/10!
The cable does have a slider, its right above the gold, its a small white plastic thingy.

But good to read you like it. Love mine!

Dec 6, 2023 at 8:45 AM Post #625 of 874
As expected, the problem lies within! for the life of me I cannot understand what went wrong (perhaps the wring tips played SOME part), but a write-up like that can only emanate from a great experience, so off I go searching then for a Trifecta, thanks for sharing.

Dec 6, 2023 at 8:49 AM Post #626 of 874
I don't know, i'm just sharing my experience. For me this thing is mind blowing. Of course, not everyone is the same. If you tried it and didn't like it that's ok.

Dec 6, 2023 at 9:16 AM Post #627 of 874
Yes, normally I accept we have different tastes, but something about your review, also Sajid's (who you thank), and a few others leads me to believe that something was amiss. Plus the adjectives you use are precisely the ones I look for in an IEM. I am feeling I should give it another go.

Dec 6, 2023 at 9:35 AM Post #628 of 874

What a beautiful image! And great impressions-- thank-you for sharing.

These are hyper sensitive. I'm very happy that i have my RME ADI-2 DAC FS, this thing has an IEM output with an impedance of 0 ohms, so there is absolutely no noise floor or any interference. I can imagine that on a warm amp, or an amp that has a higher output impedance, this thing will get too muddy / warm with a audible noisefloor.

Awesome! It's really nice to see this most unique and captivating of IEMs continue to find its audience.

am wondering if anyone has had any negative experiences with the Trifecta, as in, they tried it, with multiple DAPs (like an SP3000 and RS8 and an M17) and though it was total **** (not good at all!) I sold mine, and am since wondering if the problem is little old me. Can it really be that an IEM gets such high praise from so many quarters, even if it is a little divisive in opinion, and yet to me it sounded awful and tinny? I sold mine, no complaints from the new buyer for example that it was malfunctioning in any way, so I am thinking now somehow I missed a trick and should try to source one some day again. So, just wondering is anyone else has had a similar experience? Cheers.

I appreciate your humility. Many folks who can't see beyond the horizon of their own tastes and preferences don't get on with the Trifecta and act like they have a moral imperative to trumpet their dissatisfaction as broadly and loudly as possible. For an IEM as audacious as this there will most certainly be people who don't get on with it no matter what combination of tips, sources and tweaks they use. I don't know any IEM that tries anything unique, especially in the high end bracket, that doesn't wind up turning a few people right off. All of this to say, the problem might not be you. In addition to everyone having their own personal tastes and quirks there is also the fact that all of us have a unique ear geometry that can alter the FR of any IEM once it enters our ears. This is one of the reasons that getting true and objective IEM measurements has proven to be so difficult and why one should under no circumstances dismiss or embrace an IEM based on FR alone without hearing it first. I'd be curious to hear how it goes for you if you wind up getting your hands on another one, but in the event that it still doesn't work for you it might not be that you missed something-- it could just be that this particular IEM is not within the range of your preferences and tolerances.

Last edited:
Dec 6, 2023 at 10:10 AM Post #629 of 874
Thanks for taking the time to write that, I think you have nailed the relevant summary with "one should under no circumstances dismiss or embrace an IEM based on FR alone without hearing it first" - time to call in a favour or else make a long trip to another country, as here in Greece ain't no way to demo one! Many thanks. Roll on Christmas.

Dec 7, 2023 at 11:45 AM Post #630 of 874
I love my kennerton heartland, is the trifecta the equivalent of IEM heartland? How's resolution compared to other totl? Do they stack up to the jewel or tiarilii? And does the "astral plane" version have any differences?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back