You know you're an audiophile when...
Status
Not open for further replies.
Dec 6, 2012 at 10:00 PM Post #4,877 of 6,356
Quote:
...when you spend ~$85 on so-called "HD music". Why didn't I just buy the regular CD-quality albums.... T_T

Explain? What did you get for "HD music"? 256kbps? 

Dec 6, 2012 at 10:01 PM Post #4,878 of 6,356
When the TSA becomes curious about a business traveler with 3 laptops, several amps, a bunch of wires, several sets of headphones, and a few IEMs.  When you need two security bins for just your audio stuff.

Dec 6, 2012 at 10:03 PM Post #4,879 of 6,356
Quote:
When I'm start to worrying about how to sell my pile of headphones.

When "sell" and "headphones" have never occurred in the same thought for you.

Nah. I've thought of the headphones I could sell. Then came up with a reason for each of them not to.

Can't sell my M50s, they were a gift... my K/6X Plus was my first headphone, no way I'm giving that up... the SE-500 and SE-700 are far too rare to give up... my mom got me my K240 Studios so if I sell those, she'll kick my ass... etc.

Dec 6, 2012 at 11:10 PM Post #4,880 of 6,356
Quote:
Quote:
...when you spend ~$85 on so-called "HD music". Why didn't I just buy the regular CD-quality albums.... T_T

Explain? What did you get for "HD music"? 256kbps? 

Oh, I ordered a few albums from HD Tracks in better-than-CD quality (24/96), but my brain can't tell the difference between 24/96 and 16/44.1 and my current audio gear probably isn't even good enough. I call it "HD music" because to me it sounds the same as regular, non-"HD" music.

Dec 6, 2012 at 11:17 PM Post #4,881 of 6,356
When you want to give your closest friends audio-related toys for christmas.

Dec 6, 2012 at 11:23 PM Post #4,882 of 6,356
Quote:
When statements like this make you red-faced for a bit. "The beats Pros are more stylish, and definitely much more rugged than the no-frills Beyerdynamic DT 990 PRO" that was from Headphoneinfo.com

Um, yeah. Whatever. I've never had a PRO Beyer, but I could throw my DT880 at the wall and it would break the wall. Beats are well known for snapping in half at the headband. Beyers use mostly metal and tough, precision-fit plastic. They're about as rugged as something not purpose-built for durability above all else can be. My well-used two-and-a-quarter year-old pair looks brand new, without a scratch or nick on it. Even the pads are good. Just need a yearly bath in some mild dish soap and they're good to go. I'll bet the Beats' pads crack like all pleather does (not saying this is necessarily their fault, since my SRH440's pads are stale and cracking after two years).

I've always found Headphone Info somewhat suspect as a source. Their review scores are based on this bizarre objective measurement system, where a score out of ten is computed by what percentage the measurement deviates from an arbitrary "perfect" benchmark. That's all well and good, but it fails to differentiate between deviation that nobody will ever hear, deviation that might be intentional (e.g. an obviously colored headphone) and which sounds pleasant to the target market, and deviation that is genuinely bad. And it assumes that a "perfect" score will follow the trace perfectly, which is unreasonable.

You know you're an audiophile when you start reviewing audio review sites.

Dec 7, 2012 at 1:24 AM Post #4,883 of 6,356
the beats pro spinning earcup (spins up and down) are a real suspect of breakage as far as i can see. as the wires inside would have to be bent 180 degrees too

Dec 7, 2012 at 2:46 AM Post #4,884 of 6,356
Quote:
the beats pro spinning earcup (spins up and down) are a real suspect of breakage as far as i can see. as the wires inside would have to be bent 180 degrees too

This technique is used in other headphones as well including fold-up headphones. The only strong thing about the Beats Pro is metal frame and cup's which won't even snap if you sat on it and I've done it before lol.

Dec 7, 2012 at 3:36 AM Post #4,885 of 6,356
Quote:
Oh, I ordered a few albums from HD Tracks in better-than-CD quality (24/96), but my brain can't tell the difference between 24/96 and 16/44.1 and my current audio gear probably isn't even good enough. I call it "HD music" because to me it sounds the same as regular, non-"HD" music.

You can't hear any difference. The difference is not audible to our ears... Seriously, its not like flac vs mp3

Dec 7, 2012 at 5:01 AM Post #4,886 of 6,356
Quote:
You can't hear any difference. The difference is not audible to our ears... Seriously, its not like flac vs mp3

Correct. I posted about this somewhere in this thread, and I'll spare that long, meandering, technical language-laced discussion. Basically, 24/96 has nothing to do with fidelity and everything to do with mixing and mastering.

Dec 7, 2012 at 8:07 AM Post #4,887 of 6,356
Quote:
When the TSA becomes curious about a business traveler with 3 laptops, several amps, a bunch of wires, several sets of headphones, and a few IEMs.  When you need two security bins for just your audio stuff.

xD Nice, that's pretty awsome lol. BUt what is TSA [I assume it's your employer] 
Quote:

Correct. I posted about this somewhere in this thread, and I'll spare that long, meandering, technical language-laced discussion. Basically, 24/96 has nothing to do with fidelity and everything to do with mixing and mastering.

Yeap, that's pretty much it. You need the extra bit depth when you want to mix n master, there is a thread about it some where. It's still cool to have one or two 24 bit flacs on your DAP, just to make your friends give you the wide eyes

Dec 7, 2012 at 8:18 AM Post #4,888 of 6,356
Dec 7, 2012 at 9:25 AM Post #4,889 of 6,356
Totally did this as well. That's how I started the Aftermarket IEM cables thread, I had a worksheet on a second page that was all the options of cables and eventually it encompassed all cables and tons of information. 

I do this all the time. I'm very happy with what I ended up buying. Good luck with your adventure
Quote:
... when you start planning and budgeting out $1013 dollars worth of money to be spent over the course of three months, and make an excel sheet to budget out exactly how your going to pay for each item and the bills that you need to... and in case your curious I bought the first item today [mini dekstop Hybrid Tube], the next item is the iGrado,  so, this awesome little can is exactly what I need for work. Cheap, behind the ears, open air, and OMG made by Grado YAY... did I mention it's OMG cheap :D $50 :O totally getting this NEXT... after that there are some decsions to be made <3 

Quote:
 Phew, i thought i was crazy

Dec 7, 2012 at 10:31 AM Post #4,890 of 6,356
You know your an audiophile when you dream that there I got a Music Hall Headphone(Brain must be going crazy as I just received Music Hall speakers) and I didn't like them too much so I sent them back and got Sennheiser HD598's
biggrin.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back