1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.

Dismiss Notice

You know you're an audiophile when...

Discussion in 'Headphones (full-size)' started by ohhgourami, Mar 14, 2011.
First

Back
316 317 318 319 320 321 322 323 324 325
327 328 329 330 331 332 333 334 335 336
Next

Last
  1. tnt23
    When I'm start to worrying about how to sell my pile of headphones.

2. takato14
    Quote:
    Explain? What did you get for "HD music"? 256kbps? 

3. TLC
    When the TSA becomes curious about a business traveler with 3 laptops, several amps, a bunch of wires, several sets of headphones, and a few IEMs.  When you need two security bins for just your audio stuff.

Kaffeemann likes this.
  4. takato14
    Quote:
    When "sell" and "headphones" have never occurred in the same thought for you.

Nah. I've thought of the headphones I could sell. Then came up with a reason for each of them not to.

Can't sell my M50s, they were a gift... my K/6X Plus was my first headphone, no way I'm giving that up... the SE-500 and SE-700 are far too rare to give up... my mom got me my K240 Studios so if I sell those, she'll kick my ass... etc.

5. miceblue
    Quote:
    Oh, I ordered a few albums from HD Tracks in better-than-CD quality (24/96), but my brain can't tell the difference between 24/96 and 16/44.1 and my current audio gear probably isn't even good enough. I call it "HD music" because to me it sounds the same as regular, non-"HD" music.

6. PanamaHat
    When you want to give your closest friends audio-related toys for christmas.

7. Argyris Contributor
    Quote:

Um, yeah. Whatever. I've never had a PRO Beyer, but I could throw my DT880 at the wall and it would break the wall. Beats are well known for snapping in half at the headband. Beyers use mostly metal and tough, precision-fit plastic. They're about as rugged as something not purpose-built for durability above all else can be. My well-used two-and-a-quarter year-old pair looks brand new, without a scratch or nick on it. Even the pads are good. Just need a yearly bath in some mild dish soap and they're good to go. I'll bet the Beats' pads crack like all pleather does (not saying this is necessarily their fault, since my SRH440's pads are stale and cracking after two years).

I've always found Headphone Info somewhat suspect as a source. Their review scores are based on this bizarre objective measurement system, where a score out of ten is computed by what percentage the measurement deviates from an arbitrary "perfect" benchmark. That's all well and good, but it fails to differentiate between deviation that nobody will ever hear, deviation that might be intentional (e.g. an obviously colored headphone) and which sounds pleasant to the target market, and deviation that is genuinely bad. And it assumes that a "perfect" score will follow the trace perfectly, which is unreasonable.

You know you're an audiophile when you start reviewing audio review sites.

8. streetdragon
    the beats pro spinning earcup (spins up and down) are a real suspect of breakage as far as i can see. as the wires inside would have to be bent 180 degrees too

9. DefQon
    Quote:
    This technique is used in other headphones as well including fold-up headphones. The only strong thing about the Beats Pro is metal frame and cup's which won't even snap if you sat on it and I've done it before lol.

10. davidsh
    Quote:

You can't hear any difference. The difference is not audible to our ears... Seriously, its not like flac vs mp3

11. Argyris Contributor
    Quote:

Correct. I posted about this somewhere in this thread, and I'll spare that long, meandering, technical language-laced discussion. Basically, 24/96 has nothing to do with fidelity and everything to do with mixing and mastering.

12. Mshenay Contributor
    Quote:
    xD Nice, that's pretty awsome lol. BUt what is TSA [I assume it's your employer] 
    Quote:
    Yeap, that's pretty much it. You need the extra bit depth when you want to mix n master, there is a thread about it some where. It's still cool to have one or two 24 bit flacs on your DAP, just to make your friends give you the wide eyes

13. Achmedisdead
    Quote:
    TSA are the security folks at American airports, train stations, etc...
    http://www.tsa.gov/

14. kenman345
    Totally did this as well. That's how I started the Aftermarket IEM cables thread, I had a worksheet on a second page that was all the options of cables and eventually it encompassed all cables and tons of information. 

I do this all the time. I'm very happy with what I ended up buying. Good luck with your adventure
    Quote:
    Quote:

15. wolfetan44
    You know your an audiophile when you dream that there I got a Music Hall Headphone(Brain must be going crazy as I just received Music Hall speakers) and I didn't like them too much so I sent them back and got Sennheiser HD598's[​IMG]

First

Back
316 317 318 319 320 321 322 323 324 325
327 328 329 330 331 332 333 334 335 336
Next

Last