You know you're an audiophile when...
Status
Not open for further replies.
Nov 11, 2012 at 10:47 PM Post #4,336 of 6,356
Quote:

when you blast the two 12 inch subs in your car and are afraid it damaged your hearing that night while listening to your headphones so you contemplate selling your bass system.  That really happened to me, I need to get like a db measuring app for my phone so I can see how loud it actually is...

Amen on that.

I have my sub just for accentuating the bass (just a little over-emphasized to compensate for the road noise), but from time to time I like to turn that s**t loud... and it can get really loud, I think the "best" measurement I got was 136dB @ 60hz, which means near-instant ear damage, so yeah it's dangerous.

And thats only out of a single propperly amplified 500rms Alpine Type R, don't know how much power you have, but assuming you have 1000rms that would be approximately +3dB over my mark.

I know it's bad, it's just that it's so awesome to actually feel the power of the woofers from time to time...

By the way, JL Audio has an iPhone / iPod app for basic SPL measurement. I'm not sure if it supports an external mic or just the iPhones, but it can give you a rough estimate if you don't want to spend on a calibrated mic.

Nov 11, 2012 at 11:22 PM Post #4,337 of 6,356
Quote:
Quote:
when a common cold screws with your hearing and it's epically annoying.  

when you blast the two 12 inch subs in your car and are afraid it damaged your hearing that night while listening to your headphones so you contemplate selling your bass system.  That really happened to me, I need to get like a db measuring app for my phone so I can see how loud it actually is...

I don't get the point of stupidly huge speakers in cars. The acoustics can never be proper to get a good experience. Just buy a good headphone instead.

You know you're an audiophile when you critique your car's sonic performance. My dad's truck (Ford F150) has no bass and the midrange honks like a goose.

Nov 11, 2012 at 11:23 PM Post #4,338 of 6,356
Quote:
Quote:
"An amp won't make your headphones sound less boring... it will make them sound louder."

You know you're an audiophile when this statement makes you facepalm.

yup

The worst part is... it was said by a user on this forum.

Nov 11, 2012 at 11:49 PM Post #4,340 of 6,356
Quote:
I don't get the point of stupidly huge speakers in cars. The acoustics can never be proper to get a good experience. Just buy a good headphone instead.

You know you're an audiophile when you critique your car's sonic performance. My dad's truck (Ford F150) has no bass and the midrange honks like a goose.

While getting good sound inside a car is really difficult, it can be done.

I know because I've done it :) so "never" may be just too hard of an statement. But it sure takes a lot of learning, time and $$.

"Huge speakers" (AKA sub-woofers) are really needed to get a propper sub-bass response. And the bigger they are, the easier they'll play the lower frequencies, so it's not all that uncommon to see a 15" sub providing excelent sound quality. Of course if you crank it up, it'll be loud as hell.

And if you spend a lot of time inside a car (like me) and really like listening to music, then you'll also need good sound inside your car, so "just buying a good headphone" doesn't cut it. Different needs call for different solutions.

And yeah, most car's stock sound systems suck big time!! 

Nov 11, 2012 at 11:52 PM Post #4,341 of 6,356
if your in need of a Headband, you use your Headphones instead.

^for me not really...

Nov 12, 2012 at 1:02 AM Post #4,343 of 6,356
When your favorite car (Dodge Challenger) has Beats Audio as "premium sound system" option and you're like:

Nov 12, 2012 at 1:16 AM Post #4,345 of 6,356
When other, hardcore audiophiles are impressed by the sound out of your rig.

Quote:
When you have a 6TB of lossless music on your HDD

Not bad going. 
wink_face.gif

Nov 12, 2012 at 1:19 AM Post #4,346 of 6,356
Quote:
When your favorite car (Dodge Challenger) has Beats Audio as "premium sound system" option and you're like:

That hurts my brain i can't 

Nov 12, 2012 at 3:20 AM Post #4,347 of 6,356
when you get pissed off when a youtube video claims to be HQ and it sounds like ****

when you take off your ear piercings (anti-tragus) permanently because they cant coexist with your new iems.

Nov 12, 2012 at 12:47 PM Post #4,349 of 6,356
Quote:
When your tube amp is turned on 12 hours a day.

...just to 'keep it warm' for the hour it's used. (Not that I own a tube, but if it didn't wear on it too much, I think I'd simply leave it on because I like the smell of warm electronics, and I like the look of glowing tubes.)

Nov 12, 2012 at 2:34 PM Post #4,350 of 6,356
When you freak out that theres a place called AudioHigh close to you where you can audition many hi-fi headphones!
biggrin.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back