Yamaha EPH-100
Feb 11, 2012 at 3:48 PM Post #931 of 4,690

Quote:
@Dubbed,

Build quality is great in my book. The metal housing is solid. A couple of weeks into having it, and the housing has not scratched nor has the lettering faded. Isolation is amazing. The only iems I remember that isolates as well are of the Shure family. Microphonics are there, but nonexistent when music is playing.

interesting, and do you guys ever try them over-the-ear at all?

Or straight down only?

As I mentioned before I thought they looked rather heavy - ie. like the Denon 751's were.
But I was told that they have an aluminium body and thus aren't as heavy as one might perceive them to be.

Feb 11, 2012 at 3:49 PM Post #932 of 4,690

Quote:
 Totally Dubbed - PM received. Advices well taken my friend.
beerchug.gif

Good to hear it bro :)

Feb 11, 2012 at 4:01 PM Post #933 of 4,690

Quote:

interesting, and do you guys ever try them over-the-ear at all?

Or straight down only?

As I mentioned before I thought they looked rather heavy - ie. like the Denon 751's were.
But I was told that they have an aluminium body and thus aren't as heavy as one might perceive them to be.

They are aluminium construction so pretty much on the light side.

I wear them down comfortably without any issues.

Over the ear is a bit of a challenge with lack of memory wire or arms. I have to use the chin slider to keep them in & find it not worth the effort with over ears.

Feb 11, 2012 at 4:20 PM Post #934 of 4,690
Over the ear is OK as well, I wear them like this.

Build quality is excellent, and not inferior to EX600 for the record.
wink.gif

- high precision aluminium body (check the crappy casings of expensive UM3X for comparison, I take aluminium over plastic any day of the week).
- lettering shouldn't fade for a while since it is printed below the transparent hardcoat protecting aluminium from scratches. Damage can only occur if the IEM casings are banging against each other or with other metallic items (keys...). This kind of event will damage any IEM...
- strain reliefs are long and souple, so they actually do their job (as opposed to 2-3mm long strain reliefs).
- cable is solid but a bit "springy", which can cause some light microphonics. But do not worry, it is nothing like the microphonics caused by a cloth-covered cable or a stiff quad-braided custom cable.
- connector is L-shaped. Somehow on the thin side, it could take a few brutal disconnections without harm, so all is well.
- no detachable cable for it's very uncommon in this price range. SE215 comes to mind but the provided cable is stiff and earguides are the worst ever.

Isolation is among the best out there. Slightly inferior to Westone/Shure equipped with triple flange tips, better than Westone/Shure equipped with single flange tips.
Seal is VERY easy to achieve due to the very small casings and the 5 sizes of tips. I have no IEMs that I can insert and remove faster than these (less than 5s).
And since the bore diameter is the diameter of the microdriver, sound is not affected at all by insertion angle, which is excellent for people having different left/right ear canals (like me).

That's it.
I have to start copy-pasting more, it's expected with a 60-pages thread, people can't read the whole beast.
biggrin.gif

Feb 11, 2012 at 4:56 PM Post #935 of 4,690
Could you guys, report how EPH drives this 3 tracks in terms of soundstage and presentation? 

would be grateful
beerchug.gif

i'm in pain. (35 hours missing, i hope)
frown.gif

Track A

Track B

Track C

Feb 11, 2012 at 4:58 PM Post #936 of 4,690
Agreed. I think it is definitely a great sounding IEM, well worth the $150 it goes for on Amazon at the moment, and has a relatively inoffensive signature. I can see why some people would make it into an end-all-be-all IEM, but it's not for me.

Quote:
Agreed.

But I would not want anyone new reading to see this as the only main difference in sound signature.
The key difference lies in excellent separation (lending to 3d like albeit smaller sound stage) of EPH100 which I believe to be its outstanding strength.
Without this the EPH100 is not so special.

Feb 11, 2012 at 6:03 PM Post #937 of 4,690

Quote:
Could you guys, report how EPH drives this 3 tracks in terms of soundstage and presentation? 

would be grateful
beerchug.gif

i'm in pain. (35 hours missing, i hope)
frown.gif

Track A

Track B

Track C

Oh man, you're going to love the EPH w/ these tracks pack21. I can't wait till you get them!

Feb 11, 2012 at 6:30 PM Post #938 of 4,690

Quote:

Oh man, you're going to love the EPH w/ these tracks pack21. I can't wait till you get them!

Really? Cant wait.
biggrin.gif

Isurus drives them very well in a analytical way. (only use Isurus for this kind of tracks, acoustic vocals)...is my benckmark to choice a iem.

I hope EPH do even better (in warmth way) with a width and depth soundstage.

thx.

Feb 11, 2012 at 6:31 PM Post #939 of 4,690
The EPH is less forward than the Isurus, but I think if you like the TTs then you will also like the EPHs overall, especially if you want something ever so slightly warmer and with a bit more bass.

Quote:
Really? Cant wait.
biggrin.gif

Isurus drives them very well in a analytical way.

I hope EPH do even better (in warmth way) with a width and depth soundstage.

thx.

Feb 11, 2012 at 6:41 PM Post #940 of 4,690

Quote:
I can see why some people would make it into an end-all-be-all IEM, but it's not for me.

Same here. I'm still on the elusive hunt for that IEM too.

An IEM around  £300 that can do everything well as EPH100 & better. Bigger sound stage, better timbre, even deeper sub bass with texture. One can dream...

Pack21 thanks for those beautiful tracks. I won't try to be too technical as i don't have the vocabulary for it. I just know what gets my foot tapping & smiling is good.
I will have a go knowing you have been suffering too long.

Considering they are Youtube vids with probably 128kbps mp3 quality & i listened using laptops sound card I was quite surprised at how well the tracks sounded - more like 320Kbps.
Not sure whether this is wholly due to EPH100 or the vids actually do have high quality audio. I have found EPH100 to be quite forgiving with low quality tracks.

Track A : Foremost the performance felt very up close & intimate. Vocals were forward & sibilant free.  I found them emotionally pulling. Guitars are brilliant. Could make each one out with its individual signature & position. The trumpet gives good sense of depth & transparency as it feels its coming from further behind the vocals & guitars.

Track B: Little harder to describe for me. Vocals again are in forefront. Well formed & clear. Drums are fast pacey, Bass guitar (?) is punchy. Backing chorus is  strong, upfront & clear. There are smaller sound details that can be heard such as cymbals/snare & clapping which are not very prominent. At no point does this busy track become congested with all that's happening. Again the experience felt quite close up but enveloping at the same time. Got my foot tapping.

Track C: Right from the start you can feel the depth with distant cheering & clapping (0.28). You sense the live performance with crowd in distance. Sound stage feels bigger as a result. Vocals are at forefront & close up. Individual guitar plucking is superb. I found the vocals had more appreciable texture in the voice than other two tracks

Hope that helps.

Feb 11, 2012 at 7:13 PM Post #941 of 4,690
It seems we are on a similar search :) Allow me to point you to my current objet petit a: http://www.head-fi.org/t/589520/aurisonics-impressions-and-reviews/135#post_8128748

Also definitely agreed on the EPH100 being extremely forgiving of low bitrate material, I mentioned this in my review a few pages back. Definitely a positive.

Quote:

An IEM around  £300 that can do everything well as EPH100 & better. Bigger sound stage, better timbre, even deeper sub bass with texture. One can dream...

Pack21 thanks for those beautiful tracks. I won't try to be too technical as i don't have the vocabulary for it. I just know what gets my foot tapping & smiling is good.
I will have a go knowing you have been suffering too long.

Considering they are Youtube vids with probably 128kbps mp3 quality & i listened using laptops sound card I was quite surprised at how well the tracks sounded - more like 320Kbps.
Not sure whether this is wholly due to EPH100 or the vids actually do have high quality audio. I have found EPH100 to be quite forgiving with low quality tracks.

Track A : Foremost the performance felt very up close & intimate. Vocals were forward & sibilant free.  I found them emotionally pulling. Guitars are brilliant. Could make each one out with its individual signature & position. The trumpet gives good sense of depth & transparency as it feels its coming from further behind the vocals & guitars.

Track B: Little harder to describe for me. Vocals again are in forefront. Well formed & clear. Drums are fast pacey, Bass guitar (?) is punchy. Backing chorus is  strong, upfront & clear. There are smaller sound details that can be heard such as cymbals/snare & clapping which are not very prominent. At no point does this busy track become congested with all that's happening. Again the experience felt quite close up but enveloping at the same time. Got my foot tapping.

Track C: Right from the start you can feel the depth with distant cheering & clapping (0.28). You sense the live performance with crowd in distance. Sound stage feels bigger as a result. Vocals are at forefront & close up. Individual guitar plucking is superb. I found the vocals had more appreciable texture in the voice than other two tracks

Hope that helps.

Feb 11, 2012 at 7:15 PM Post #942 of 4,690
thanks Archy!:D

All are divine voices, but the 3rd  Caetano Veloso IS the male voice of Brazil.  The 3rd video is also better because was recorded for editing a commercial double CD.

Any iem that drive this concert divinely, pays the same with his ticket. If you want hear all the tracks of that divine concert for free, are in these page.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MOXTfMQHutQ&feature=relmfu

Feb 11, 2012 at 8:41 PM Post #943 of 4,690
Feb 11, 2012 at 9:53 PM Post #944 of 4,690
I just can't get over the SQ of these IEM's.  With my Fuze and FiiO E6 on EQ 2 they sound every bit as good as my TF10 though they both have a different sound signature.  Now theres over 30 hours on them the sound is very detailed and smooth with great bass extension.  With the instrument separation and 3D presentation along with the SQ these are one of the most enjoyable and fun IEM's I've heard at any price.  I think in the future we'll see a lot more manufactures using micro drivers because with there speed and dynamic sound its really the best of both worlds.

Feb 12, 2012 at 1:56 AM Post #945 of 4,690
Indeed. The most enjoyable and fun IEM's I've heard at any price, too. And I managed to get such bass/sub-bass punch and extension with my recent burn-in methods
basshead.gif
that I can't explain what is listening to jazz with them now (not to mention EDM. lol. It's crazy). This micro-driver is still changing after 200 hours, but I'm now working each part of the driver independently. For eg, sub-bass. And it works. ; ) 

Call me crazy, but I love these experiments, especially when I've just spent 90€
ksc75smile.gif

Reminds me the Monster Miles Davis (bass), but with better definition, separation, 3D presentation, soundstage, etc. Stunning! Even Soul Coughing is amazing to listen to now, such is the punch. Anything I throw at them now. Much more fun than what I've had with the UM3X, thats for sure.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back