Yamaha EPH-100
Feb 12, 2012 at 5:02 AM Post #946 of 4,690

Quote:
Indeed. The most enjoyable and fun IEM's I've heard at any price, too. And I managed to get such bass/sub-bass punch and extension with my recent burn-in methods
basshead.gif
that I can't explain what is listening to jazz with them now (not to mention EDM. lol. It's crazy). This micro-driver is still changing after 200 hours, but I'm now working each part of the driver independently. For eg, sub-bass. And it works. ; ) 

Call me crazy, but I love these experiments, especially when I've just spent 90€
ksc75smile.gif

Reminds me the Monster Miles Davis (bass), but with better definition, separation, 3D presentation, soundstage, etc. Stunning! Even Soul Coughing is amazing to listen to now, such is the punch. Anything I throw at them now. Much more fun than what I've had with the UM3X, thats for sure.

Hi Miow, how did you do that, and what are those methods?

Listen Jazz is too good? Cool!

Thx.

Feb 12, 2012 at 5:24 AM Post #947 of 4,690
Just take a graphical equalizer and look for a song that pushes the bass/sub-bass to the limits. The one on that pic is a good example (Defrost - Noisia). Let it play that song consecutively for about 5 hours or so and give them a 5-10 min. break after that to relax the driver, then let it repeat the process for a total of 100 hours. This is supposed to workout your driver's sub-bass. Of course this is all theory, but I've seen results. No guarantees though, might be placebo, but I really don't think so.

Feb 12, 2012 at 5:32 AM Post #948 of 4,690
Thanks Miow, will try that.

Feb 12, 2012 at 5:48 AM Post #949 of 4,690

Quote:
I just can't get over the SQ of these IEM's.  With my Fuze and FiiO E6 on EQ 2 they sound every bit as good as my TF10 though they both have a different sound signature.

I bought a pair of TF10's just before the EPH100's & hated them straight away.

I found the mids somewhat recessed, treble uncomfortable  high, smallish sound stage & hardly any separation ability at all.

I really couldn't keep them in for long. Lot of people do like the TF10's so i'm curious to what their ears are hearing compared to mine.

Can you please be kind enough to do a/b comparison of TF10 v EPH100  ?

Feb 12, 2012 at 6:08 AM Post #950 of 4,690

Quote:
I bought a pair of TF10's just before the EPH100's & hated them straight away.
I found the mids somewhat recessed, treble uncomfortable  high, smallish sound stage & hardly any separation ability at all.
I really couldn't keep them in for long. Lot of people do like the TF10's so i'm curious to what their ears are hearing compared to mine.

Same impression here, but given the massive TF10 thread here, they must have some qualities, but not the right ones for us.
biggrin.gif

Feb 12, 2012 at 6:39 AM Post #951 of 4,690

Quote:
Same impression here, but given the massive TF10 thread here, they must have some qualities, but not right ones for us.
biggrin.gif

Or is it simply that TF10 were good for there time & that same reputation is seeing them through today.

I have the feeling lot of late owners are jumping onto TF10's like i did because of their past reputation & the greatly discounted price - making them seem like a unmissable bargain compared to what they were originally priced years back.

I would really appreciate you A/B comparison jiff to help understand this. More detail the better.

I would do it myself but feel i will be too biased as i just don't like the TF10's sound from the offset.

Feb 12, 2012 at 6:44 AM Post #952 of 4,690
""but given the massive TF10 thread here, they must have some qualities, but not right ones for us.""

indeed,

I know someone who loves SM2\3 and dont want anything else, but i see  lot HF users, try SM's and didn't appreciate it, but agree they are a higher level technician iem (K2 same thing).

The only thing we can conclude from opinions, is whether it is good or not, even that is not our kind.

From what we've seen since the beginning, is EPH100 has its place in the audio scene.

Quote:
I have the feeling lot of new owners are jumping onto TF10's like i did because of the the greatly discounted price - making them seem like a unmissable bargain compared to what they were originally priced at years back.

That was for sure, I also almost did the same. When we see a big discount off we try never lose it.

Even EPH bought by having a very good price, initially cost was 250$.

Feb 12, 2012 at 7:33 AM Post #953 of 4,690
Okay, so I spent at least 2 hours looking at this whole thread! 

If anyone that wants to sell their EPH-100, I will be gladly to take it over

Feb 12, 2012 at 8:20 AM Post #954 of 4,690
Well its all subjective, but hype is hype...

-When I heard the W2's I was happy, but not how people said it had "good bass", if anything my EX500's, which i ALWAYS refer to had better bass quantity and extension than the W2's
-When i saw the LITERAL RAVE about IE8's I thought to myself, a winner - yet it was possibly the most disappointment of an IEM I've EVER heard.
-When I saw about the TF10's and people saying u MIGHT have fit issues but it didn't concern them, I had no idea for the life of me, 2 things: How they wore it, and how they even liked the sound sig, which to me sounded quite flat and boring.

When I saw there was literally no mention of the Denon AH-C710's I was SO surprised - they were my IEM's for a year, absolutely loved them.
When I loved the TFTA's other hated it, and found it "muddy"

Each to their own...there is one advice I can give, to anyone, trust yourself, no one else.
Reading helps, and I personally LOVE reading clieos and joker's reviews, but end of the day, when it comes down to it, I bit the bullet and make the decision myself, even though I might ask for advice (ie for my D2K's, and for a portable amp) I made the final decision, and trusted myself, even if I was told otherwise.
I also found that listening to my gut instinct is usually best
Which makes me think....probably should order that digizoid...

Will order the e11 & soundmagic from amazon first methinks - and return if I don't like them.

Feb 12, 2012 at 9:12 AM Post #955 of 4,690

Quote:
-When I saw about the TF10's and people saying u MIGHT have fit issues but it didn't concern them, I had no idea for the life of me, 2 things: How they wore it, and how they even liked the sound sig, which to me sounded quite flat and boring.

TF10, flat and boring in the same sentence, simply doesn't make sense. The only explanation is either a faulty pair, bad fit, or faulty ears :)

Feb 12, 2012 at 9:44 AM Post #958 of 4,690

Well I found them to be best described as 'Nauseating' - Just my opinion.

With Trance tracks it was like sound was being funnelled through thin straws in each ear. I had to pull them off fast.

Strange but true for me.
blink.gif

So Jiff if you can please do A/B for us. Include Trance, Rock & Classical in your listening list.

I'm genuinely curious to hear in what respect others perceive them positively.

Feb 12, 2012 at 9:58 AM Post #959 of 4,690

Quote:

I've read many descriptions of the TF10s both by those who like/love & dislike/hate them, but I have to say that I've never heard them being described as boring.

Now, I like my EX500s and, in fact, have been using them almost daily for 2.5 years, but I did prefer the TF10s by quite a margin. Basically the TF10s, to me, were a more refined sounding IEM along the whole spectrum. Luckily, I didn't have any fit issues, but I know many people who have. I did not like the stiff cable, though, and, while not uncomfortable, I much preferred Westone's ergonomics as well as Sony's, particularly the EX1000/EX600 & 7550.

Westone2/3  > TF10

That's what I felt, heard and was more comfortable with.

Definitely remember the TF10's being boring and just...all together disappointing, let alone fitting them, that....that my friend was a real damn pain.

I'll go to demo them again near the end of the year hopefully - maybe my opinions have changed.
Considering my opinions for the sennheiser IE series didn't change after 1 year...quite literally.
After hearing the ie8, being utterly disappointed, then hearing the ie7's after hearing about 20iem's beforehand - I can safely say, my opinion didn't change, and in fact, I will never be buying a sennheiser in-ear product ever again, unless the CX400II or 500 equivalent is dirt cheap. (which in this case, would be as a gift to someone) -> preferred the denon c260's over those 2.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back