WORST headphone you ever heard?
Oct 3, 2012 at 6:01 PM Post #316 of 1,786
Oh you can definitely add the Philips Downtown to my list. Maybe they need a few days of burn in.
Right now they're too dark and very honky in the mids. Even an EQ can't save them for me. I'm shocked they're retailing at Best Buy for $100. I paid $30 and feel ripped off.

The Koss UR-20 sounded like I was listening to music while being under water. Strangely the UR-22v is impressive and just as cheap!

Oct 3, 2012 at 7:00 PM Post #317 of 1,786
Quote:
When discussing the "worst" headphones I've heard, I have to take this to mean "for the price" or "given expectations I had before listening."  Otherwise I could list any number of boring cheap earbuds that sound like garbage.  In any case, here's my list (controversial, no doubt):

1.  Ultrasone Edition 8
I've never had much luck with Ultrasones, and these were no exception.  People usually would consider these to be Ultrasone's best, and I would agree -- but to me, they still sounded like a glorified Bose Triport.  Sure, the bass was tighter, and the treble was clearer, but ultimately the sound signature was very similar.  Moreover, the Bose headphones were much more comfortable.  For the price of the Edition 8, it was a big disappointment.

2.  Audio Technica ATH-W1000X
These were reviewed positively by many people, and several seemed to prefer these to the Denon Dx000 headphones.  To me, they just sounded extremely unnatural.  Mids had a nasal quality, midbass was somewhat bloated and obscured the mids.  Another disappointment.

3.  Audez'e LCD-2 (Rev. 1)
I think that these may have been the most hyped headphones in Head-Fi history.  In the early stages, when only a few people had these headphones and they were in short supply, they were getting extremely rave reviews -- so many were calling them the best headphones they'd ever heard.  The measurements were also very impressive.  Because of all the hype, it made these even more disappointing when I got them.  To me, it sounded like listening to an orchestra that was crammed into a closet -- absolutely no soundstage, with no sense of air or space.  Tonal balance was overly warm for my taste too, with bass overwhelming the other parts of the spectrum.  Since I had these, I've heard the LCD-2 Rev. 2 and the LCD-3 in meet conditions, and to my ears the same problems still prevail.  Not my cup of tea.

4.  Ultrasone Edition 10
I only heard these in meet conditions, but 15 seconds of listening was enough to tell me that I wanted no part of these headphones.  They sounded very poor and unnatural, especially considering the exorbitant price tag.  Based on the sound I heard, I might pay $100 for these, at most -- though I prefer the sound of my Grado SR-60i.

On the flip side, headphones that I thought sounded good for the price, or met expectations, included the Sennheiser HD800, Beyerdynamic T1, Beyerdynamic DT880/600, and the Sony MDR-R10.  I also liked the AKG K701 -- though they don't quite sound natural, their sound signature lends itself very well to acoustic guitar.

This is so true!

When I had the chance to audition the Edition 8 I was really disappointed. I felt that it had strident high frequencies specially with the S sounds. Also they did not even fit on my ears, maybe they are to big for the headphone since I had to roll them to use the headphone around the ear.

Also I really disliked the ATH-1000X my notes on it were: Horrible bass quality and quantity, dull treble. Bad soundstage and no detail.

On the other hand I will have to disagree with you on the LCD-2, although this hobby is all a matter of taste and also pairings. The Audeze's with the wrong amplifier sound exactly as you say tho.

Oct 5, 2012 at 11:17 AM Post #319 of 1,786
Nike Vapor Sport earbuds

Hhaaha dammit! I knew I was gonna see this somewhere . The funny thing is I know they sound thin (ima be nice cuz I love mine). But damn they're the only comfortable headphone I can wear while running for a long distance and they stay on and give me music . And I've had just amazing luck with their durability for such a cheap pair. I even have 2 sets one stashed in my glove and one in my gym bag at all times.

Oct 14, 2012 at 1:17 PM Post #320 of 1,786
I remember in grammar school we had to wear these MASSIVE, uncomfortable, extremely tight headphones. I don't know what kind they were but they were the most uncomfortable horrible sounding thing I ever saw. I don't know what they were. We only used them when we were doing audio reading.

They were most likely these:

Califone headphones. I used these in my piano class in college. For what they are, the sound isn't bad, but they are EXTREMELY uncomfortable. Talk about a clamping force!
basshead.gif

Oct 14, 2012 at 2:30 PM Post #321 of 1,786
Quote:

This is so true!

When I had the chance to audition the Edition 8 I was really disappointed. I felt that it had strident high frequencies specially with the S sounds. Also they did not even fit on my ears, maybe they are to big for the headphone since I had to roll them to use the headphone around the ear.

Also I really disliked the ATH-1000X my notes on it were: Horrible bass quality and quantity, dull treble. Bad soundstage and no detail.

On the other hand I will have to disagree with you on the LCD-2, although this hobby is all a matter of taste and also pairings. The Audeze's with the wrong amplifier sound exactly as you say tho.

As a noob in this arena it is posts like this that drive me crazy. When soooo many people with a high post rating (like 3000+) say they like something, then another expert comes along and shoots them all down. I was all over getting DT990 but today I read others saying the DT880 are better and even put up some graphs show a freq curve similar to the $1200 Denon cans.

Where can I get objective reviews? or do they all sound good with some equalizer tweaking? Plz advise

Oct 14, 2012 at 4:00 PM Post #323 of 1,786
Quote:
There are no 100% objective reviews as we all hear things differently and like different things. 

Yeah, I don't think there is such a thing as an objective review.

Oct 14, 2012 at 5:12 PM Post #324 of 1,786
I'm not sure about 'worst headphone ever' because there's a long line of 'no-brand' nonsense that doesn't really stick in the memory, but my most recent "what the hell is this c**p?" moment was when I put on a Bowers & Wilkins P3 the other day in shop - they were massively underwhelming. (listened with my own music through PA2V2). They just lacked any detail and sparkle in the highs, and sounded somewhat muffled. 

Oct 15, 2012 at 7:18 PM Post #325 of 1,786

The worst earphones i have ever heard, are the etymotic hf5's (no ****) 
biggrin.gif

But i guess it is quite important to mension that i havn't owned any other set of earphones except the ibuds, and they dont count so...
Anyway the hf5's are very good!!! Love them 

Oct 15, 2012 at 10:23 PM Post #328 of 1,786
Quote:

They were most likely these:

Califone headphones. I used these in my piano class in college. For what they are, the sound isn't bad, but they are EXTREMELY uncomfortable. Talk about a clamping force!
basshead.gif

Yeah they looked a lot like that. I never actually heard any real sound out of them except spoken words. 

They clamped so freaking hard and got sweaty. You have to remember I was only like 6 at the time so you can only imagine what it would be like now. 

Too bad our school really didn't get any decent electronics until around 5th grade.

Wow, I did some research on them. I had a rosewill rebrand of one of their headsets. http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=&sku=379627&Q=&is=REG&A=details

Oct 16, 2012 at 2:08 AM Post #330 of 1,786
Really? I found the 201 very acceptable for the price, and I have the LCD-2. I'm not saying they're in any way equal, of course, just that I didn't recoil in horror when switching over. I did recoil. however, when I heard the stock Fostex 50RP. Eek! Give me the 201 any day.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back