WORST headphone you ever heard?
Sep 9, 2012 at 12:38 AM Post #301 of 1,786
All time worst headphone I've owned would probably be the Chateau dollar store stuff.. Sound is so bad the headphone tries to kill itself within a few used. The worst I've heard this year would be the Marley on-ear collection @ Futureshop. I was browsing around the headphone section listening to some Sennheisers when the sales associate suggested those. Maybe they aren't made to be used with country music but it made the guitar sound terrible. The only thing worse than the sound was the $100+ price tag and the horid colours.

Sep 9, 2012 at 2:15 AM Post #302 of 1,786
I just found my JVC Stereo Headphones I bought about a year ago at Walmart when my Sennheiser HD205 failed due to the cable....for the third time -___-

My God they're horrible.  I'm going back 'n forth between these and my Ultrasone DJ1's and the JVC sound like they're trying too hard to be good headphones.  Too much bass to sound good (and that came from a basshead), and the highs screeched.  

Sep 9, 2012 at 3:13 AM Post #304 of 1,786
Let me take back what I said earlier about the iFrogz cs40s being the worst pair of headphones I've heard.

I've always suspected that the terribly muffled sound was due to their thick foam ear cushions. So today I got my friend's pair and tore the earpads off (he okay'd it)... and just as I thought, the muffled-ness was gone. In fact, it sounded pretty decent for a $20 pair of headphones. I might get some round replacement pads and glue them on, just for fun.

Sep 9, 2012 at 3:15 AM Post #305 of 1,786
hmmm... the solo hd and those beats tours,, I mean when you use them it's like your head is wrapped around a plastic under water 
biggrin.gif

and one pioneer ear-hook, (forgot the model) sounded soo cling clang for me

Oct 2, 2012 at 10:40 PM Post #308 of 1,786
My friend lent me his Razer Carcharias headset. They were awful..

Oct 2, 2012 at 11:01 PM Post #309 of 1,786
Quote:
My friend lent me his Razer Carcharias headset. They were awful..

I have these, yes they are not for music, but as a cheaper headset I can't find too much fault with them, very comfy and the mic is great, just the drivers feel like that can't handle much power.

Oct 2, 2012 at 11:07 PM Post #310 of 1,786
Quote:
I have these, yes they are not for music, but as a cheaper headset I can't find too much fault with them, very comfy and the mic is great, just the drivers feel like that can't handle much power.

Indeed some head-fier's like them. They were not my cup of tea. 
tongue.gif

Oct 3, 2012 at 2:19 AM Post #311 of 1,786
Beats "heart Beatz" Oh god, it was like DR.dre him self was flatulating into my ear and screaming "THIS IS WHY I'M FILTHY RICH, BUY MY PRODUCTS!!!!" I think if I buy IEM's baring the UE600-900 I will just stick with my 20$ JVC marshmallows.

Oct 3, 2012 at 5:23 AM Post #313 of 1,786
In the audiophile realms (excluding the earbuds, beats and other obvious candidates)...I would say the Focal Spirit One....no matter what I tried with it, I just couldn't enjoy them.

Oct 3, 2012 at 8:32 AM Post #314 of 1,786
Beside the really bad cases of cheap earbuds the worst ones i ever heard are the one that came in my Sony MW600. It sounded like i was hearing a mono speaker that was in another room with the door closed.

Oct 3, 2012 at 11:14 AM Post #315 of 1,786
When discussing the "worst" headphones I've heard, I have to take this to mean "for the price" or "given expectations I had before listening."  Otherwise I could list any number of boring cheap earbuds that sound like garbage.  In any case, here's my list (controversial, no doubt):

1.  Ultrasone Edition 8
I've never had much luck with Ultrasones, and these were no exception.  People usually would consider these to be Ultrasone's best, and I would agree -- but to me, they still sounded like a glorified Bose Triport.  Sure, the bass was tighter, and the treble was clearer, but ultimately the sound signature was very similar.  Moreover, the Bose headphones were much more comfortable.  For the price of the Edition 8, it was a big disappointment.

2.  Audio Technica ATH-W1000X
These were reviewed positively by many people, and several seemed to prefer these to the Denon Dx000 headphones.  To me, they just sounded extremely unnatural.  Mids had a nasal quality, midbass was somewhat bloated and obscured the mids.  Another disappointment.

3.  Audez'e LCD-2 (Rev. 1)
I think that these may have been the most hyped headphones in Head-Fi history.  In the early stages, when only a few people had these headphones and they were in short supply, they were getting extremely rave reviews -- so many were calling them the best headphones they'd ever heard.  The measurements were also very impressive.  Because of all the hype, it made these even more disappointing when I got them.  To me, it sounded like listening to an orchestra that was crammed into a closet -- absolutely no soundstage, with no sense of air or space.  Tonal balance was overly warm for my taste too, with bass overwhelming the other parts of the spectrum.  Since I had these, I've heard the LCD-2 Rev. 2 and the LCD-3 in meet conditions, and to my ears the same problems still prevail.  Not my cup of tea.

4.  Ultrasone Edition 10
I only heard these in meet conditions, but 15 seconds of listening was enough to tell me that I wanted no part of these headphones.  They sounded very poor and unnatural, especially considering the exorbitant price tag.  Based on the sound I heard, I might pay $100 for these, at most -- though I prefer the sound of my Grado SR-60i.

On the flip side, headphones that I thought sounded good for the price, or met expectations, included the Sennheiser HD800, Beyerdynamic T1, Beyerdynamic DT880/600, and the Sony MDR-R10.  I also liked the AKG K701 -- though they don't quite sound natural, their sound signature lends itself very well to acoustic guitar.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back