WORST headphone you ever heard?
Aug 31, 2012 at 10:01 PM Post #287 of 1,786
The worst I've ever heard would have to be some cheap (<$5) Skullcandy headphones my mom bought from Big Lots. They were so bad that even she could hear it. I had a much worse time.

They had bloated, muddy bass, no mids, and extremely muffled highs.
frown.gif

Whenever anyone needed to borrow some headphones, she would offer those. EVERYONE in my family has refused that deal after hearing them.

Aug 31, 2012 at 10:09 PM Post #288 of 1,786
Quote:
The worst I've ever heard would have to be some cheap (<$5) Skullcandy headphones my mom bought from Big Lots. They were so bad that even she could hear it. I had a much worse time.

They had bloated, muddy bass, no mids, and extremely muffled highs.
frown.gif

Whenever anyone needed to borrow some headphones, she would offer those. EVERYONE in my family has refused that deal after hearing them.

THATS HILARIOUS LOL

Sep 1, 2012 at 7:28 AM Post #291 of 1,786
Quote:
A pair of these little guys. They cost something like the equivalent of $3 in the supermarket, and sound like pretty much any cheap earphone from the 80s, even though that's thirty years ago. Note the extra bass promise on the box. This is how they keep people from realising what bass actually is; some buyers on Amazon have written reviews where they keep coming back for more because of the amazing value. It's not very amazing when they sound like laptop speakers and evidentially don't last long.

I had a set of those once... I was truely amazed at the soundquality, they sounded like something worth at least 3 times their price, but then again, I did buy them for €0,50 from some bargain bin...

Quote:

Are my eyes deceiving me? Or is that really a set of earbuds that came with the original Gameboy??

Sep 1, 2012 at 9:52 AM Post #292 of 1,786
Quote:

I'd give these headphones the award for the most dangerous ones around (IME). The earbuds are so easily ripped from their wires that it's like they made them to be this way on purpose; a definite chocking hazard for kids and the sort. I think they come pre packed with ultra cheap mp3 players and sound devices. Oh yea, and you may be able to get electrocuted from the long thin bare wires on show once their heads are severed. 

Sep 1, 2012 at 8:53 PM Post #293 of 1,786
Quote:

Also, do you think the Aviators sound as fantastic as I do? I had the chance to listen to them some time ago, and was totally floored by what Skullcandy accomplished there.

Are they worth $150?  They're a bit too gaudy and uncomfortable.  But I too were surprised at how good they sound. 

Back on topic:  The worst?  Perhaps not the worst I've ever heard, but the most "disappointing" were definitely the Marshall Majors.  The sound, quality, and comfort were all equally a let-down.

Sep 1, 2012 at 9:30 PM Post #294 of 1,786
Quote:
I know we strive for the best in sound quality, but in looking for that alot of people around here must have come across some of the worst sounding equipment too.

iPod earbuds don't count, or the Dre Beats, they're too commercial, and that dead old horse has been flogged and turned into glue ages ago 
popcorn.gif

So spill the beans, what's the worst headphone you've ever had the displeasure of putting on/in/around your ears?

A pair of earbuds that came free on an American Airlines domestic flight. Actually looked like it was worth $2 that was charged to economy (first class gets it complimentary). Nearly useless on a flight since it needs to be turned up high to be able to hear anything and by then your ears will be bleeding from what sounded like screaming. Tossed them in the trash after without a second thought. 

Oh and the JVC Gummies that sell for $7 at Wal-mart. Those belong in the recycle bin, where they are better served as scrap materials. 

Sep 1, 2012 at 10:56 PM Post #295 of 1,786
I'd have to say that the Senn HD-202 is in the running. A bad value at $30. They sound exactly like what you would get if you built a closed, circumaural headphone around the drivers from the Apple earbuds.

Sep 1, 2012 at 10:59 PM Post #296 of 1,786
The worst ones I have ever heard where when I had to have a MRI done and they gave me headphones so I could watch a movie. There wasn't a single piece of metal on it! so of course it was going to sound horrible.

Sep 2, 2012 at 1:16 AM Post #297 of 1,786
Quote:
The worst ones I have ever heard where when I had to have a MRI done and they gave me headphones so I could watch a movie. There wasn't a single piece of metal on it! so of course it was going to sound horrible.

That sounds quite interesting to be honest...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back