WORST headphone you ever heard?
Apr 11, 2014 at 5:51 PM Post #1,472 of 1,786
So you owned (or at the very least heard) all of the mentioned to make that determination? What amp was used in the testing? What source? 

I would like to say before I start this post, that I don't think any of the named headphones are bad, and I am aware that I didn't get the maximum quality out of them.

The hd600 and hd650 were driven from some kind of CD-player, it looked expensive. They both had stock wires
The hd700 I wasn't really able to give a chance, I don't know if they were amped or anything, it was under very minimum circumstances.
The HD800 was driven from a source that I do not remember the name of, but it was €699. I played very low bitrate MP3's on it, since I didn't really plan on listening to it, so didn't bring anything but my android phone.

The way I listen to music, the Mad Dog is a better choice. The Sennheisers are extremely good, but are not forgiving at all, which is a very known fact as far as I am aware.

Before flaming me on anything (which I have a strange feeling you're willing to do), this is just my opinion, I'm totally fine if you don't agree with it.

Apr 11, 2014 at 6:03 PM Post #1,473 of 1,786
I would like to say before I start this post, that I don't think any of the named headphones are bad, and I am aware that I didn't get the maximum quality out of them.

The hd600 and hd650 were driven from some kind of CD-player, it looked expensive. They both had stock wires
The hd700 I wasn't really able to give a chance, I don't know if they were amped or anything, it was under very minimum circumstances.
The HD800 was driven from a source that I do not remember the name of, but it was €699. I played very low bitrate MP3's on it, since I didn't really plan on listening to it, so didn't bring anything but my android phone.

The way I listen to music, the Mad Dog is a better choice. The Sennheisers are extremely good, but are not forgiving at all, which is a very known fact as far as I am aware.

Before flaming me on anything (which I have a strange feeling you're willing to do), this is just my opinion, I'm totally fine if you don't agree with it.

There is no negativity behind my question. I love Dan's work, I own/owned two different versions of the MadDog. I was just simply stating that the HD600/650 and 800 are extremely amp and source dependent.  I hated the HD800 the first time I heard them, I had a multitude of amps/DAC's to choose from(between my friend's gear and mine and there was no synergy with any of the gear I owned. I found the right amp for them and they are absolutely the pinnacle of what I have experienced thus far in my journey.  The 650 and the MadDog actually have similar characteristics when the 650 is amped properly. 

I do not "flame" anyone, sound is subjective, but from your comments you lumped the whole brand together like they sound the same so I had doubts that you had experienced them, the 650/600 are close in nature, the 800 is a much different beast.

Apr 11, 2014 at 6:10 PM Post #1,474 of 1,786
the mad dogs are a bit open. They won't isolate like a decent closed headphone but they should be fine.

I hit the quote button but it doesn't always work on mobile.

Have you owned the mad dogs? They isolate really well IMO and are fully closed or act as though they are. I can't hear much of the outside with them on and hardly anything leaks when worn

Apr 11, 2014 at 6:33 PM Post #1,475 of 1,786
Have you owned the mad dogs? They isolate really well IMO and are fully closed or act as though they are. I can't hear much of the outside with them on and hardly anything leaks when worn

I agree with this...the MD isolates extremely well (and it sounds good too).

Apr 11, 2014 at 7:19 PM Post #1,476 of 1,786
I already tried them, and A/B'd them with the HE-300.
I think I might dislike my HE-300 and never use it again when I have the Mad Dogs.. They're really good, I liked them better than any Sennheiser (HD598, 600, 650, 700, 800) but that's probably because Sennheiser isn't my sound signature. I prefer a slight V-shape :)

The Mad Dogs may also still take a while, I got this guy saving up for my beats pro detox, and well, he doesn't have any work for income. :frowning2: I hope he gets some money from his parents or anything

The mad dogs don't have a v shaped signature. It's pretty neutral

Apr 11, 2014 at 7:30 PM Post #1,477 of 1,786
  There is no negativity behind my question. I love Dan's work, I own/owned two different versions of the MadDog. I was just simply stating that the HD600/650 and 800 are extremely amp and source dependent.  I hated the HD800 the first time I heard them, I had a multitude of amps/DAC's to choose from(between my friend's gear and mine and there was no synergy with any of the gear I owned. I found the right amp for them and they are absolutely the pinnacle of what I have experienced thus far in my journey.  The 650 and the MadDog actually have similar characteristics when the 650 is amped properly. 

I do not "flame" anyone, sound is subjective, but from your comments you lumped the whole brand together like they sound the same so I had doubts that you had experienced them, the 650/600 are close in nature, the 800 is a much different beast.

The worst headphones I ever heard are the ones that need "synergy" or "just the right DAC/amp" to sound good. Those are outright junk in my book regardless of price, and usually belong to people needing to justify their cash outlay for otherwise mediocre products. A headphone either sounds good or it doesn't, man.

Apr 11, 2014 at 7:38 PM Post #1,478 of 1,786

A headphone either sounds good or it doesn't, man.

Don't forget about the law of Your Mileage May Vary. A pairing can sound like absolute schiit to one person and heavenly to the another. A prime example is my DX50 > 627 MICRO > Aedle VK-1 rig. I love that combination to bits; yet my dad thinks that combination is far too dark for his tastes. I repeat: the law of YMMV is an integral part of this hobby. Never forget that 
redface.gif

Apr 11, 2014 at 8:18 PM Post #1,479 of 1,786
Don't forget about the law of Your Mileage May Vary. A pairing can sound like absolute schiit to one person and heavenly to the another. A prime example is my DX50 > 627 MICRO > Aedle VK-1 rig. I love that combination to bits; yet my dad thinks that combination is far too dark for his tastes. I repeat: the law of YMMV is an integral part of this hobby. Never forget that :xf_eek:  
+1

Apr 11, 2014 at 8:56 PM Post #1,480 of 1,786
the mad dogs are a bit open. They won't isolate like a decent closed headphone but they should be fine.

I hit the quote button but it doesn't always work on mobile.
it works just fine, but you have to tap quote, then tap the reply box right away. Otherwise it doesn't quote in the box, and just pastes the words into the web browser page data.

Apr 11, 2014 at 9:00 PM Post #1,481 of 1,786
I don't need a 3 foot cable, I need a small, straight plugged cable that connects phone to amp... And I want it braided with high quality materials... Plus I don't have time, skill, or want to make one myself. Length has to be like... 4"-8"??? Idk how long the cable should be, just short and high quality.

Apr 11, 2014 at 9:13 PM Post #1,482 of 1,786
Plus, I think sennheiser is slightly overrated. For the 1500$ price, hd800's are decent for classical from what I've heard, and I've tried some low end sennheisers(558,ear buds etc.) but the soundstage is just unrealistically large like its trying to replicate an auditorium feel. Not exactly the best for music production either. For 1500$, the akg k812 is a much more unforgiving, detailed, flat can. Just preferences. Either way, akg is multiple times better for producing music, or mastering. The soundstage is way more believable. Not blown way out of proportion. See, I listen to mainly edm and 70's-80's pop and rock so the akg k240's suit my interests well, along with akg's having such an addictive sound signature... All my opinion. I will end up buying an HD 600 or something eventually, but not before I buy an akg k712, or k812. In my opinion, akg is unmatched in dynamic drivers. All just from my headphone sound signature preferences, so don't be angry if you don't agree. :D

Apr 11, 2014 at 9:43 PM Post #1,483 of 1,786
Because you have heard so many higher end headphones as well right...

I get a kick out of these threads, many opinions from people who haven't heard jack. But their friend told them or they read somewhere...
:popcorn:

Apr 11, 2014 at 9:50 PM Post #1,484 of 1,786
.... I said I've compared the 558 and k240's, and read a somewhat believable review comparing HD 800's and k812's. I don't know for certain, but the 558's were definitely inferior compared to the k240's by my ears.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back