WORST headphone you ever heard?
Apr 10, 2014 at 8:11 AM Post #1,441 of 1,786

How can you tell that the Beats are fake?

What the zx300 needed was proper cushions, acoustic barriers and more cushion.

Depends on the beats model, but all of them have this cleaning cloth, it shouldn't be folded, but the plastic where its in should be folded. That works for every model to see if they're real. Of course, some fakes do have this, so you need to dig deeper.
With a beats pro/beats pro detox for example, the carrying pouch has a metal cliplike thingy on it, with the fake's this is plastic.
A real beats pro/pro detox has this cable with a coil, and the coil to the 3.5mm L-jack is exactly 7 centimeters. With fakes this ranges from 15 cm up to about 40 cm.
Here are way, way more ways to see it, they're really bad at faking beats, especially the pro and detox.

Edit: The most common way to see if a Solo HD is fake, is look at the plug that goes inside the headphone, a lot of fakes (not all, but a lot of them) are plain red, but the jack should be black, with a ring of red and a ring of white, with the text "monster" or "beats" on it.

Apr 10, 2014 at 9:56 AM Post #1,442 of 1,786
The easier way to detect fake Beats (I see lots of them everyday too) it´s first, to look at the cable, some of the fakes have dual cables, or thin cheap cables, and things like that. Also, you can look if they have the little led of the ANC.

Apr 10, 2014 at 10:01 AM Post #1,443 of 1,786
  The easier way to detect fake Beats (I see lots of them everyday too) it´s first, to look at the cable, some of the fakes have dual cables, or thin cheap cables, and things like that. Also, you can look if they have the little led of the ANC.

Yeah, some also have dual/thin cables, but that are the really cheap fakes (the 5 bucks one you buy when you are bored in Turkey), and is mostly with the Solo and Solo HD
The little led is only on the beats studio's, and MAYBE on the executive's (I've never seen anyone in real life with the executive's, and when I wanted to try a pair at my local shop, it was broken) so I can't judge on that.

The mostly being faked one's are the beats solo HD for sure, and the beats pro detox is also a very much faked one (But that's because it was only here for a very limited time, and here weren't many made, don't know how many exactly)

Apr 10, 2014 at 10:03 AM Post #1,444 of 1,786

How could you tell that the Beats were fake?

What the zx300 needed was proper cushions, acoustic barriers and more cushion.

None of this leaky schiit:

Which cushions did you use? I might recommend them to someone to replace the cushions.
Do they also change the sound?

Apr 10, 2014 at 10:10 AM Post #1,445 of 1,786
  Yeah, some also have dual/thin cables, but that are the really cheap fakes (the 5 bucks one you buy when you are bored in Turkey), and is mostly with the Solo and Solo HD
The little led is only on the beats studio's, and MAYBE on the executive's (I've never seen anyone in real life with the executive's, and when I wanted to try a pair at my local shop, it was broken) so I can't judge on that.

The mostly being faked one's are the beats solo HD for sure, and the beats pro detox is also a very much faked one (But that's because it was only here for a very limited time, and here weren't many made, don't know how many exactly)

There are some other ways of telling, such as disproportionate/missing logos, non stainless steel components, non-existent colors, the list goes on. 

The Studios surely do have the LED, and the Executives definitely has the LED too. The Executive's circuit board is just the studio's flipped upside down, so the power switch is on the top of the earcup. Th LED is green when sufficiently powered, and red when low on battery.

I used to own a pair (I still have it actually), and yes they do break easily. 

Which cushions did you use? I might recommend them to someone to replace the cushions.
Do they also change the sound?

The cushions are actually from a pair of $10 fake Urbanears Plattan (same headphone used to resurrect the Executives), and the top headband cushion is from a pair of $24 Bluetooth headphones that somewhat resemble the Beats Solo (Bluetooth circuit is now inside a pair of Beats Studio).

The sound does change; it makes it sound much more closed and isolates external noise better, too.

Apr 10, 2014 at 11:59 AM Post #1,446 of 1,786
  There are some other ways of telling, such as disproportionate/missing logos, non stainless steel components, non-existent colors, the list goes on. 

The Studios surely do have the LED, and the Executives definitely has the LED too. The Executive's circuit board is just the studio's flipped upside down, so the power switch is on the top of the earcup. Th LED is green when sufficiently powered, and red when low on battery.

I used to own a pair (I still have it actually), and yes they do break easily. 

The cushions are actually from a pair of $10 fake Urbanears Plattan (same headphone used to resurrect the Executives), and the top headband cushion is from a pair of $24 Bluetooth headphones that somewhat resemble the Beats Solo (Bluetooth circuit is now inside a pair of Beats Studio).

The sound does change; it makes it sound much more closed and isolates external noise better, too.

Oh yeah I remember, you're the one that modded a broken studio and broken executive, and also owned a slightly modded detox, right? I love your work :)
Well, I'll tell the zx300 owner that she should get these earpads, and I'll replace them for her. She'll probably say no though.

Apr 10, 2014 at 12:13 PM Post #1,447 of 1,786
  They should be the Monster Beats Pro, due to the excessive reverb, superpowered bass, nonexisting mids and trash-like trebel, though the aluminium and leather construction was pretty good. They are seconded by Audio Technica ATH-A900, which is one of the worst headphones I've ever tried and then the supercongested Sennheiser HD25-I, the awfully dark AIAIAI TMA-1, and the unbalanced B&W P5.

That is my Top 5 list for supposedly "good" headphones that people like, but I do not. I´m skipping all the crap of Skullcandy, Urban Ears, etc..

Those are indeed some headphones a lot of people like.
Why do you dislike the (sound of) Audio Technica ATH-A900?
I'm just curious.

Apr 11, 2014 at 4:43 AM Post #1,449 of 1,786
Originally Posted by ibob4tacoz /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Quote:

Or they don't even have the B.

Speaking of cables, the fake ones aren't as red as the real ones are. I bought a replacement cable from eBay, and it isn't as red as my Executive's cable.

The one which is a bit cut up is the fake cable:

It may be a bit hard to see in this picture, but in real life it's quite noticeable. 

Apr 11, 2014 at 4:43 AM Post #1,450 of 1,786
Or they don't even have the B.

I don't call them fake beats if they don't have a B.
Friends of mine have the solo with a star on it instead of a B, but no-one will buy it "because it's beats". Everyone looks at the B and knows its Beats, so buying one with a star or something on it and say it's a Beats, is like saying you bought anything with wood in it and call it an Audeze.

Apr 11, 2014 at 4:45 AM Post #1,451 of 1,786
  Speaking of cables, the fake ones aren't as red as the real ones are. I bought a replacement cable from eBay, and it isn't as red as my Executive's cable.

The one which is a bit cut up is the fake cable:

It may be a bit hard to see in this picture, but in real life it's quite noticeable. 

Ah yeah, I see it.
They're really bad with faking the cables.
I also bought a fake cable for my beats pro detox, because my original one broke. The fake cable is pretty shiny, but the real one isn't shiny at all, the real one also feels more tough, maybe even a bit rugged.
And also the thing I told you guys before, the coil to jack is 7CM with my real cable, about 16CM with my fake cable. I don't really notice any change in audio quality, though. 

Apr 11, 2014 at 5:15 AM Post #1,452 of 1,786
  Ah yeah, I see it.
They're really bad with faking the cables.
I also bought a fake cable for my beats pro detox, because my original one broke. The fake cable is pretty shiny, but the real one isn't shiny at all, the real one also feels more tough, maybe even a bit rugged.
And also the thing I told you guys before, the coil to jack is 7CM with my real cable, about 16CM with my fake cable. I don't really notice any change in audio quality, though. 

Yeah, the fakes are shinier, and on the Pro Detox cable's B logo where the L jack is is probably not the right way up, either.

Apr 11, 2014 at 8:12 AM Post #1,453 of 1,786

Yeah, the fakes are shinier, and on the Pro Detox cable's B logo where the L jack is is probably not the right way up, either.

Here, the fake one (left) and the real one (right)

Another picture, the light one is real and the dark one is fake. Which is weird, the photo switches them up. In real life the real one looks darker, and the fake one looks more light.

Another picture of them, the real one looks way lighter than the fake one on the photo for some odd reason.

Sorry for the bad quality, used my built in webcam from my laptop.

Apr 11, 2014 at 8:26 AM Post #1,454 of 1,786

Here, the fake one (left) and the real one (right)

Another picture, the light one is real and the dark one is fake. Which is weird, the photo switches them up. In real life the real one looks darker, and the fake one looks more light.

Another picture of them, the real one looks way lighter than the fake one on the photo for some odd reason.

Sorry for the bad quality, used my built in webcam from my laptop.
lol. Can't see anything.

Apr 11, 2014 at 8:28 AM Post #1,455 of 1,786
Hmm... My friend needed his 3.5-3.5mm jack back that I borrowed for my amp, so I'm just going to go buy some braided cable... Know any good cheap 3.5mm male-3.5mm male braided cables that cost 10-20$?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back