Worst Headphone ever
Jan 31, 2006 at 2:41 PM Post #91 of 156
Quote:

Originally Posted by Canon
Well obviously i've used some of those cheezy buck store type headphones (some even came with some crappy walkman I had), they were probably the worst...

For more recent stuff that should have been half way decent... I got a Panasonic ShockWave PCDP a few years ago that has a radio etc. on it... Well the headphones that came with that thing were just terrible. They were the clip on style. They are extremely bright (unless you squish them against your ears, then you get a bit of bass response). They heart my ear drums the first time I tried them so I stopped using them right away but the other problem was that they actually hut my ear lobe... Terrible... Also on an unrelated note the "XBS" system on that PCDP is just utterly craptacular. I guess they were trying to compensate for the crappy headphones when they came up with that idea...

And as for headphones that I actually have purchased... Sennheiser MX400s... Man I was dissapointed with these things since day 1. I figured i'd ride it out but it never got any better and I was stuck with them until I could afford a new pair. I couldn't get these things to fit properly at all (I assume this is the problem). The bass sounds more like a ticking sound (unless you hold them up to your ears). I wish I didn't buy those...

Those are horrible if they don't fit well. Otherwise they're decent for the money.

Jan 31, 2006 at 2:58 PM Post #92 of 156
Quote:

Originally Posted by creyc
Someone was funny mentioning the PX100 and porta pros. I know i laughed. :|

But seriously, the "worst" headphones I've ever used, according to a mix of sound quality (specifically lack thereof) combined with value goes to the UE Super.fi 5EB. The most unbalanced, muffled, disgusting $200 sound I've heard. Maybe equalled by a few Coby's included with a CD player or two.
biggrin.gif

Well, I like the 5EB's, and so do a lot of other people.

But the Sony MDR-V150's -- They truly are the worst I have ever heard. I gave my pair away for free, and felt kinda sorry for the person I gave them to.

Jan 31, 2006 at 3:12 PM Post #93 of 156
The worst headphone I ever tried were the Bang & Olufsen Form 2 Headphones. No, not as bad as some freebie earbuds, but I literally could not believe that someone was charging $100 for them. The formfactor was absolutely ghastly... uncomfortable beyond measure. The sound... oh sweet baby Jesus... was totally unrecognizable as music. I'm pretty sure I got nearly identical headphones for $1 on a Jet Blue flight. Muddy as hell. Anyone wearing these in public should be caged immediately.

The most dissapointing headphone I ever owned was the HD280. The guy at the hi-fi shop assured me that THIS was what all "good" headphones sounded like (pre head-fi days). I had them for a week, didn't enjoy my music, and wanted to return them. The guy from the store told me I was being silly and that he was "trying to teach me to be a good listener" because these headphones had none of the coloration of a cheap Sony, etc. I went back home with them (unreturned) disheartened, thinking my ears were absolutely dumb. I spent nearly a year with those things.

Jan 31, 2006 at 3:20 PM Post #94 of 156
I honestly don't know what they were, but my friend claimed as 'decent, but not as good as your Grados'. They almost made me bang my head of the desk. Muddy, uncontrolled bass that seemed to have beaten the mids and treble so far into submission that they didn't even try to be heard anymore.

Feb 24, 2006 at 9:56 PM Post #96 of 156
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mercuttio
The most dissapointing headphone I ever owned was the HD280. The guy at the hi-fi shop assured me that THIS was what all "good" headphones sounded like (pre head-fi days). I had them for a week, didn't enjoy my music, and wanted to return them. The guy from the store told me I was being silly and that he was "trying to teach me to be a good listener" because these headphones had none of the coloration of a cheap Sony, etc.

He was right of course... however, they have no musicality either.
evil_smiley.gif
I agree, they're one of the worst headphones out there (my biggest disappointment as well).

I feel bad for the guy at the hi-fi shop if he believed you have to sacrifice the music in order to get (relative) neutrality. Unfortunately, I think this belief is not uncommon, even around here... probably one of the biggest myths of audiophilia.

Feb 24, 2006 at 10:09 PM Post #97 of 156
Quote:

Originally Posted by fewtch
He was right of course... however, they have no musicality either.
evil_smiley.gif
I agree, they're one of the worst headphones out there (my biggest disappointment as well).

I feel bad for the guy at the hi-fi shop if he believed you have to sacrifice the music in order to get (relative) neutrality. Unfortunately, I think this belief is not uncommon, even around here... probably one of the biggest myths of audiophilia.

They're a hell of a lot better than "one of the worst headphones out there," man. You didn't like them, and that's okay, but they've objectively still a good headphone at the price and are very useful in a lot of applications. I even happen to like how they sound, just not with music anymore after having been exposed to better headphones.

Feb 24, 2006 at 10:11 PM Post #98 of 156
Sony V150 by FAR are the worst. Especially since they came with the promise of full-sized can goodness. LIES! They creaked so much I thought the plastic was trying to give me tinnitus by mechanical friction alone - and the sound was truly truly horrendous. What is worse, they were SO bad that they actually made me STOP listening to headphones for 12 years - and 8 of those years they just taunted me from a drawer! I finally tossed those cans in the TRASH after getting the MS-1 - I didn't even want to wish them upon an eBayer for 1 cent!

Feb 24, 2006 at 10:15 PM Post #99 of 156
Quote:

Originally Posted by n00b
Haha, Rhydon is a pokemon. Anyway, I bought Sony MDR-v300s for 50 bucks because they looked to me aesthetically pleasing and DJ-esque, and at that sad time in my life I thought my image was important.. All that ended up happening was me noticing its terrible sound, selling it for 20 bucks, then upgrading to MD-33s, then from those to e3s, then I also bought some MS-1s, and I'm GONNA buy some Super.fi 5pros, etc.. all while my parents are telling me not to waste my money
tongue.gif
So yeah, just goes to show you that not everything with a popular brand name is the best..

MDR-v300s...
Yes. I feel much better knowing that I'm not alone...

Feb 24, 2006 at 10:38 PM Post #100 of 156
Quote:

Originally Posted by NotJeffBuckley
They're a hell of a lot better than "one of the worst headphones out there," man. You didn't like them, and that's okay, but they've objectively still a good headphone at the price and are very useful in a lot of applications. I even happen to like how they sound, just not with music anymore after having been exposed to better headphones.

They were really just the most dissapointing for me... I really thought they were going to be more engaging when I bought them!

Feb 24, 2006 at 10:42 PM Post #101 of 156
Quote:

Sony V150 by FAR are the worst

No Doubt. I see people wearing these, and I feel sorry for them. And then i get mad at Sony, because people who buy the V150 may get turned off to headphone sound forever.

It's not like you can;t make a decent $20 can -- Sennheiser does.

Feb 24, 2006 at 10:45 PM Post #102 of 156
i'm listening to my sony v300 just cuz everyone seems to hate em
haven't touched em in a year or two
and boy, do my shures blow em out of the water, everything is soo exaggerated

there should be a frowny face for these "cans"
etysmile.gif

Feb 24, 2006 at 11:19 PM Post #103 of 156
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jahn
Sony V150 by FAR are the worst. Especially since they came with the promise of full-sized can goodness. LIES! They creaked so much I thought the plastic was trying to give me tinnitus by mechanical friction alone - and the sound was truly truly horrendous. What is worse, they were SO bad that they actually made me STOP listening to headphones for 12 years - and 8 of those years they just taunted me from a drawer! I finally tossed those cans in the TRASH after getting the MS-1 - I didn't even want to wish them upon an eBayer for 1 cent!

I agree with you there. Pure mud city there - and without any extension at all whatsoever!
evil_smiley.gif

Feb 24, 2006 at 11:37 PM Post #104 of 156
Worst can I ever used was some Coby sealed can, called the CV-180. They came with the tin can and string earbuds. These sealed cans had so much bass that there was nothing else readily apparant, they just farted to everything, even piano sonatas! This technology was called "Super Bass". To some extent, this was true. Then the left driver fell off. I ordered my HD650's ten minutes later.

Feb 25, 2006 at 4:31 AM Post #105 of 156
Ah yes! Sony v150s are horrid! I also have a cheap set of sony wireless headphones that sound just as bad. Muddy!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back