Worst Headphone ever
Aug 16, 2005 at 4:31 PM Post #76 of 156
As for stock earbuds, the ones that Degen ships with things are actually quite usable. Mind you, they have not much more than mids, with a hump at the upper end at that (can be compensated with sufficient output impedance and a warm-sounding source like the infamous Sony radios I've mentioned a few times), but it could be worse. I'll nominate my Sony fakebuds for the title of "worst" (but then, what do you expect from cheap fakes?).

Aug 17, 2005 at 8:14 AM Post #77 of 156
Quote:

Originally Posted by blessingx
Sony V200s (though I haven't heard V100s or V150s). Sold a pair of V6s and was going to included them for free. Buyer said "thats okay". Free headphones rejected! Well I included them in the box anyway.
wink.gif

HAHAHAHA.....TOO FUNNY!!! I've been ROTF LMAO for a good minute or two.

Aug 17, 2005 at 8:17 AM Post #78 of 156
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jasonharkin
What did you dislike?

They sound dysfunctional.

Like there are five layers of cotton plugged in the drivers.

It's the only high-end headphone I've ever heard that sounded dysfunctional.

Maybe it was just this set, though.

-Matt

Aug 17, 2005 at 12:15 PM Post #79 of 156
Worst headphone? Ah well thats easy...the headphones that came with my Bush tape walkman....back in the day. It was one of those reallly rubbish px200 type phones (I forget the proper term, superaural?) but with a thin metal headband and reallll ****** foam covering over the puny drivers.

If you think sound gets worse then those, you are wrong.

As for a known headphone, the EX71...bwahahaha, hello, treble? I don't think anything exists which bl0ats the bass as much as they do aswell.

The V150s, well apart from being the worst plastic construction in existence, they are more than listenable if you eq them to the max.

Aug 17, 2005 at 5:33 PM Post #80 of 156
Quote:

Originally Posted by crazyfrenchman27
They sound dysfunctional.

Like there are five layers of cotton plugged in the drivers.

It's the only high-end headphone I've ever heard that sounded dysfunctional.

Maybe it was just this set, though.

-Matt

Yeah.. that pair probably had impacted drivers.

Jan 31, 2006 at 5:18 AM Post #82 of 156
I have to defend the Sony MDR-V150 as THE WORST headphone. Those things sound worse than the pack-ins that come with the $10 Durabrand PCDPs sold at Wal-Mart. As an added bonus, they give you a migraine-level headache from clamping after about 30 seconds, that is if the discomfort from the sound didn't cause you to remove them sooner. Based on SQ, they would be a rip-off at the dollar store.

I was actually surprised at how bad they were because Sony headphones were the first half-way decent headphones I ever owned. About 15 years ago, I had the V4 and V6. I no longer own either, but at that time I thought they sounded quite good.

Jan 31, 2006 at 5:49 AM Post #83 of 156
Quote:

Originally Posted by rick1970
I have to defend the Sony MDR-V150 as THE WORST headphone. Those things sound worse than the pack-ins that come with the $10 Durabrand PCDPs sold at Wal-Mart. As an added bonus, they give you a migraine-level headache from clamping after about 30 seconds, that is if the discomfort from the sound didn't cause you to remove them sooner. Based on SQ, they would be a rip-off at the dollar store.

I was actually surprised at how bad they were because Sony headphones were the first half-way decent headphones I ever owned. About 15 years ago, I had the V4 and V6. I no longer own either, but at that time I thought they sounded quite good.

I think if I had created this thread as a poll it would have been cool...I think the MDR-V150 would have more than a few votes (several replies about them).

Jan 31, 2006 at 6:19 AM Post #84 of 156
Quote:

Originally Posted by VR6ofpain
I think if I had created this thread as a poll it would have been cool...I think the MDR-V150 would have more than a few votes (several replies about them).

Yes, I agree that would have been cool. It was an interesting read in any case. Thanks for reviving this one since I apparently missed it the first time around.

Jan 31, 2006 at 7:45 AM Post #85 of 156
Luckily I've never bought a pair I didn't like at the time although some have since gone down in my estimation as I got better 'phones. The only ones I really hated were the cheap crap you get with DAP's and walkmans. Every set I've ever had for free were crap.

Jan 31, 2006 at 7:51 AM Post #86 of 156
Another vote for Koss "The Plug" (older version) ... couldn't believe these were actually headphones people pay for, IMO they sound no better than typical stock buds. I ended up sticking mine in a drawer, then eventually ripped them apart and tossed 'em out. Couldn't bring myself to sell anyone something that sounded that bad.

Jan 31, 2006 at 8:00 AM Post #87 of 156
I think the worst headphone I ever heard was the Sony V150. But the one I was most disappointed with was the HD500. I heard the HD600 and really liked them. I thought: Oh the 500-Series must be nearly as good. Couldn't listen to them for more than a few minutes - just bad.

Jan 31, 2006 at 8:25 AM Post #88 of 156
Well obviously i've used some of those cheezy buck store type headphones (some even came with some crappy walkman I had), they were probably the worst...

For more recent stuff that should have been half way decent... I got a Panasonic ShockWave PCDP a few years ago that has a radio etc. on it... Well the headphones that came with that thing were just terrible. They were the clip on style. They are extremely bright (unless you squish them against your ears, then you get a bit of bass response). They heart my ear drums the first time I tried them so I stopped using them right away but the other problem was that they actually hut my ear lobe... Terrible... Also on an unrelated note the "XBS" system on that PCDP is just utterly craptacular. I guess they were trying to compensate for the crappy headphones when they came up with that idea...

And as for headphones that I actually have purchased... Sennheiser MX400s... Man I was dissapointed with these things since day 1. I figured i'd ride it out but it never got any better and I was stuck with them until I could afford a new pair. I couldn't get these things to fit properly at all (I assume this is the problem). The bass sounds more like a ticking sound (unless you hold them up to your ears). I wish I didn't buy those...

Jan 31, 2006 at 9:17 AM Post #89 of 156
Someone was funny mentioning the PX100 and porta pros. I know i laughed. :|

But seriously, the "worst" headphones I've ever used, according to a mix of sound quality (specifically lack thereof) combined with value goes to the UE Super.fi 5EB. The most unbalanced, muffled, disgusting $200 sound I've heard. Maybe equalled by a few Coby's included with a CD player or two.
biggrin.gif

Jan 31, 2006 at 9:41 AM Post #90 of 156
Worst phone ever heard? Sennheiser HD 470, the shrill shrieker - pierces your ears within 10 seconds. I really wonder what Sennheiser thought, when they threw these on the market.

Greetings from Hannover!

Manfred / lini

Users who are viewing this thread

Back