Why the Beats Hate?
Jan 19, 2017 at 3:40 AM Post #1,591 of 2,037
If Apple/Beats can capture the frequency response of the Solo3 with a more defined treble in a new Studio model then that could be one of the best headphones on the market. A bit unfair to other headphone manufacturers that don't have the same marketing, but an over-ear Beats model with great design, comfort, perfect wireless, and a punchy defined sound could honestly be one of the best on the market. I've heard all the best consumer headphones including the Sennheiser Momentum (which the Solo3 have a clarity advantage over Bluetooth with AAC files, with the Solo3 sounding absolutely uncompressed relative to the filetype and the Momentum sounding noticeabley compressed -- which will be the case until they adopt AAC in about a year), and Beats is coming a long way. The current Studio model that was released in 2013 I believe does feel a bit cheap and sound a bit lacking if not comfortable and good-looking from a distance.

Hopefully Studio 3.0 radically upgrades the build and sound. Apple could just stick a W1 chip in it as a refresh and save a true redesign for Studio 4.0 to capture consumer's money twice, but I hope they don't go almost four years with only a minimal upgrade.

I'm gonna say it: if Apple/Beats focus the same amount of attention into improving the Studio's sound as they did with the Solo line, then a refreshed Studio model could compete very favorably with the Sennheiser Momentum. Within a decade Beats could overtake Sennheiser in audio quality for critics that prefer a non-neutral sound. Could, if they invest proper R&D.

As far as I can find practically everybody agrees the on-ear Solo2/3 is superior to the on-ear Momentum, so this isn't as unlikely as it sounds.

Jan 19, 2017 at 6:24 AM Post #1,593 of 2,037
I don't want more sparkly treble though, there are brands that do just that for those that enjoy it

The momentums are said to have less bass which I also would not want when others already have that covered

I don't want a sparkly treble either. I prefer it to be laid-back, but the higher frequencies are missing detail on the Solo3.

Jan 19, 2017 at 6:28 AM Post #1,595 of 2,037
I will have to demo themm the solo 2 sounded just right to me

The treble is more present while wired, but I find they sound much better wirelessly due to the lack of separation wired and it's also harsher at high volumes when used wired due to this. I did the A/B comparison a few weeks ago,

Wired - more detail in treble, but all the instruments sound like they're on top of each other.
Wireless - bigger bass, better instrument separation.

I'm assuming the Solo2 was wired. Still not audiophile-quality highs but pretty good.

Jan 25, 2017 at 9:54 AM Post #1,597 of 2,037
A friend of mine used to have a pair of Beats ( not sure which ones exactly ). I gave them a listen one time - comparing them to the Senn HD650s that I had then, difference was night and day, at least to my ears. No point in hating the Beats, but I do consider them inferior to the hi-end Senns by orders of magnitude. 

If you're after superior sound quality, there are far better options to consider, in my opinion.

Jan 26, 2017 at 2:11 AM Post #1,600 of 2,037
This is going to sound crazy, but I might even state that mids/voices sound more upfront and natural on the Solo3 than they do on the Momentum 2.0 or the M-100. In fact I find the Momentum 2.0 over-ears to suffer from bass leaking into the mids more than the Solo3. Though the mids on the Momentum are incredibly detailed, just too recessed for my taste.

Jan 26, 2017 at 2:15 AM Post #1,601 of 2,037
This is going to sound crazy, but I might even state that mids/voices sound more upfront and natural on the Solo3 than they do on the Momentum 2.0 or the M-100. In fact I find the Momentum 2.0 over-ears to suffer from bass leaking into the mids more than the Solo3. Though the mids on the Momentum are incredibly detailed, just too recessed for my taste.

Don't put your head above the parapet bro.

Jan 26, 2017 at 2:21 AM Post #1,602 of 2,037
Don't put your head above the parapet bro.

Disclaimer: The Momentum has better imaging, separation, and dynamics. The Momentum and M-100 are both incredible headphones. 

I still stand by my claims that Beats could give Sennheiser a run for the money in the future since the Solo3 is also excellent and I prefer it in some ways.

Jan 26, 2017 at 4:59 AM Post #1,603 of 2,037
in my opinion Beats are hated because they are overpriced. But worse, is that they have-in general-a poor sound quality. The bass may be deep and shaking, but that's it. Nothing much of any significance, certainly not to justify its bloated price.
But that's just my opinion. Although I once tried Beats Pro, and it actually sounded better than the ATH-WS1100. Although not in sound clarity, but both are equally comfortable though. Weird.

Jan 26, 2017 at 5:09 AM Post #1,604 of 2,037
in my opinion Beats are hated because they are overpriced. But worse, is that they have-in general-a poor sound quality. The bass may be deep and shaking, but that's it. Nothing much of any significance, certainly not to justify its bloated price.

But that's just my opinion. Although I once tried Beats Pro, and it actually sounded better than the ATH-WS1100. Although not in sound clarity, but both are equally comfortable though. Weird.

Beats is about big bass, which is what the general consumer likes. Over time they're figuring out how to have big bass as well as clear mids and a decent albeit rolled-off treble.

I think one day Beats can be an audiophile brand for bass accentuation. The Solo3 is close to audiophile-grade.

Jan 28, 2017 at 12:47 PM Post #1,605 of 2,037

Co-workers have the exact opposite experience; not sure if they have the Beats Pro (there's so many Beats in the office that I can't tell you who has what) but they all liked my WS1100 more.  Granted that was through a Modi2/Vali2 stack so that might have made a difference.

Another thing that bothers me about Beats is that their construction, to me, feels frail.  I was always scared to take the off of my head after one of my mates asked me audition a totally dope headphone.  Conversely it took my son using my M70X as a prybar to break them...still don't know what he was thinking putting them in-between the slats of the chair and pushing until he heard a crack...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back