Why the Beats Hate?
Jan 30, 2017 at 7:10 AM Post #1,621 of 2,037
Pulled the trigger on the Solo 3 for the wife's workouts. She's a big fan of bass for working out and loves the sound of Beats.

Jan 30, 2017 at 8:06 PM Post #1,623 of 2,037
Jan 30, 2017 at 8:13 PM Post #1,624 of 2,037
Anyone wanting a real alternative to that classic (sic) Beats sound might want to check out the new Sony MDR-XB950N1[COLOR=FF00AA][COLOR=FF00AA][COLOR=FF00AA][COLOR=FF00AA][COLOR=FF00AA] 'Hear nothing but the bass' [/COLOR][/COLOR][/COLOR][/COLOR][/COLOR]in the words of Sony?!? Headphones

https://www.sony.co.uk/electronics/headband-headphones/mdr-xb950n1

Lovely!

Jan 31, 2017 at 10:02 AM Post #1,626 of 2,037
I use W60, 846 among others. I also use Beats in ears for work/outside/general use. Are they as good as the two I mentioned?. No way, but then again if I break/lose them, I would not be too worried.The one thing that Beats, and W60 have in common for me, is comfort. Both can be used for hours at a time, with no discomfort, where as the 846, I could never keep in for more than one hour, due I think to the angle of the nozzle, but then thats the way my ears are.

Feb 3, 2017 at 3:35 AM Post #1,627 of 2,037
  I use W60, 846 among others. I also use Beats in ears for work/outside/general use. Are they as good as the two I mentioned?. No way, but then again if I break/lose them, I would not be too worried.The one thing that Beats, and W60 have in common for me, is comfort. Both can be used for hours at a time, with no discomfort, where as the 846, I could never keep in for more than one hour, due I think to the angle of the nozzle, but then thats the way my ears are.

Which Beats in-ears? Powerbeats?

Feb 3, 2017 at 3:36 AM Post #1,628 of 2,037
I put a return request on my Solo3 just because I feel they're overpriced and not due to any other reason frankly (besides the ear pads not being replaceable -- am a bit concerned about gym use but they should've known a lot of people use them there while designing it), but haven't been able to make it to UPS the past few days.

Played around my Mac's Bluetooth settings, increasing them to their max value and increasing the AAC bitrate to over 256kbps just to ensure no data is lost in transmission with my 256kbps Apple Music files (the iPhone also transmits at 264kbps), and wow the Solo3 flat-out rock. I'm most likely going to end up keeping them. On one hand I think the price is high for Beats headphones, then I put them back on and I'm surprised by the quality every single time. Switching off between the Momentum 2.0 over-ear in wired mode and the Solo3 with these new Bluetooth settings, and there really isn't a noticeable amount of detail lost even though it has a punchier sound signature, obvious soundstage difference notwithstanding. The improved quality even brings back some subtlety in the treble.

I think a lot of Head-Fi members simply hate Beats because they're Beats, because every time I put the Solo3 on I'm expecting the new headphone excitement to wear off and for them to sound terrible but they don't at all in wireless mode. For some songs I even prefer them to all the other headphones in my collection. Apple's done a really good job here.

Feb 3, 2017 at 7:21 AM Post #1,630 of 2,037
Powerbeats 3

Maybe the BeatsX will offer audio more comparable to higher-end IEMs. They're the first major Beats product designed completely under Apple (Pb3/Solo3 were based off their predecessors), and based on the description it seems like Apple's paid attention to the critics:

"BeatsX features authentic, clear sound with optimized noise isolation for an immersive listening experience. An innovative acoustic design delivers a clean treble response and distortion-free bass for the most natural tonality across a broad range of genres."

Note the "clean treble response" and "distortion-free bass," which have been the main criticisms remaining with Beats.

Especially if BeatsX gets positive reviews I'm excited to see the future of the lineup under Apple.

Feb 3, 2017 at 8:03 AM Post #1,631 of 2,037
Solo 3 crushes Momentum 1 & 2, Sony MDR 1A, and V-Moda M100

Feb 3, 2017 at 8:35 AM Post #1,632 of 2,037

How does the Solo 2 Wireless fare against the Solo 3, besides the Apple W1 benefits? I've yet to demo them but I'm assuming the sound is largely the same.

Feb 3, 2017 at 8:45 AM Post #1,634 of 2,037

That's a big statement coming from an afficiando with a headphone collection like yours. They're all very different headphones though the Solo3 does have the punchiest sound and the most upfront mids. Which is your overall favorite headphone btw?

Feb 3, 2017 at 8:50 AM Post #1,635 of 2,037

Just leaving these here

I'm a bit amused that everyone says Beats are overpriced, but that chart lists headphones that are only $100-$150 (though I've seen the mediocre Mixrs for $120 two years ago, they didn't sell at $250 in the market) less at the most compared to Beats' ****ty past headphones; $100 isn't a huge premium to buy a brand. It's tough to admit it but the Solo3 are worth what I paid at $219. Only $60 more than the AirPods with the same technology and much better sound.

One of my considerations is I don't want to be seen as a Beats sheep wearing them but I don't care as much now that Apple owns them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back