Which Mid-Fi phones pair well with a Fiio E10?
Dec 18, 2011 at 5:35 AM Post #16 of 18

Quote:
Looks like we had the same setup; Squeezebox > Corda Headfive > HD580. I also had a Singlepower PPX3 tube amp at the same time which didn't do anything extra for them, I think the Headfive must of been a pretty decent amp. I've since heard the HD600 (which is the same headphone as the HD580) on a few different setups where they also aren't engaging. The sennheiser sound, save for the HD800, is just very relaxed; colored with a layer of warmth.

Appreciate all your help in this thread :)

I ended up giving up the Sennheisers for a pair of Grados which worked out great for me. I love the sound from Grados but I did give up quite a bit on comfort. The Sennheisers were a little tight on my head but MUCH more comfortable for longer listening sessions.

After reading through some reviews, I think I'm going to revisit the AKG K701's.  They blew me away with how they handled female vocals and I get the general impression that the E10 will handle them alright. For now.

I've never tried a tube amp and am curious how they pair together. Anyone with recommendations on a $300-400 tube amp that'll make the 701's sing?

Dec 18, 2011 at 5:43 AM Post #17 of 18
Honestly consider the HD598 to be a slightly smoother, baby K701. The Sennheiser equivalent. So I wouldn't consider them warm. They're fairly neutral to slightly bright in its inherent signature. Bass neutral to slightly bass shy, rich forward mids, slight treble boost.

Dec 18, 2011 at 5:50 AM Post #18 of 18

Quote:
Appreciate all your help in this thread :)

I ended up giving up the Sennheisers for a pair of Grados which worked out great for me. I love the sound from Grados but I did give up quite a bit on comfort. The Sennheisers were a little tight on my head but MUCH more comfortable for longer listening sessions.

After reading through some reviews, I think I'm going to revisit the AKG K701's.  They blew me away with how they handled female vocals and I get the general impression that the E10 will handle them alright. For now.

I've never tried a tube amp and am curious how they pair together. Anyone with recommendations on a $300-400 tube amp that'll make the 701's sing?

Save up and get a Woo Audio 6 for $620USD brand new ~ it's a blissful marriage, full point to point wiring
 no cheap PCB's ~ all quality and made in New York by loving audiophiles.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back