Which full sized headphone for this iem fan?
Jun 7, 2011 at 3:22 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 20

h1a8

500+ Head-Fier
I'm more of an iem man as I have or had the ie8, se530, fx-500, fx-700, sm3, hippo vb, sound magic pl50 (and 30), ie7, and monster pro gold. I want to listen to a good full sized can in the house though as they trump iems on average (price for price).

As far as full sized headphones I have the hfi-780 and sony v6. I had the bass monster bt770 80ohm pro (didn't like the recessed midrange though).

What I like the most are (not in order yet):

1. Decent bass (not too little but slightly above average. More on the sm3 level or above)
2. Great mids (very clear and not recessed but slightly forward)
3. Low or average treble (I don't like harsh or edgy upper mids or high treble)
4. Decent soundstage (above average if possible and average for a full sized can at minimum).

I think the sm3 has the right amount of bass, but a very little more wouldn't hurt. It has the right amount of forwardness to its midrange, but it could be a little clearer though. It has the right amount of treble for me (I don't like a lot of that treble stuff). Lastly, it has the right amount of soundstage for me (although more wouldn't hurt either). The se530 midrange is a touch too forward for me and has slightly less bass than I want. The fx-700 has a clear midrange but slightly recessed for my taste and on the borderline of too much bass and treble. The monster gold was nearly perfect except for the soundstage (slightly not big enough), and that it could have used an ever so slightly more forward midrange instead of being neutral. The ie7 is nearly perfect as well but the midrange is too pointy in its forwardness. What I mean is that only a narrow part of the midrange seems boosted forward (like a sharp peak) and not a wider mound like the sm3. This makes the ie7 sound a little thin in the midrange sometimes. The ie8 has a slightly veiled midrange (textured as some call it). I would be satisfied with the hfi-780 if it wasn't for the not so good comfort (I can't wear them for hours without paying for it) and the slight treble edginess (although I can eq it a little down). The sony v6 is also a little too bright for me.

What I want is a full sized headphone that has at least the bass quantity as the sm3 or more and no less than the hfi-780. I also want it too be very comfortable or at least more comfortable than average. I want the mids to shine and be clear and present (lush is a plus too). I don't care for treble or upper mids, so they can have rolled off treble or just average treble (but not more than that) for all I care. Soundstage has to be at least average too. I will listen to some rock (like old school hall and oates), some jazz (sade), some hip-hop, the type of r&b and pop with good vocals and decent bass, and some techno music (old school kraftwerk). I will use ipod touch 4g or sansa clip+ or galaxy s phone (whichever drives the best) with fiio e11 amp or fiio e7 amp. I will use only in the house and in my room since I will only use iems on the go. I prefer them to be under $300 but will consider nothing more than $350. I'll buy them used if I have to.

In order of preference I want

1. Adequate bass (too much isn't a bad thing if #2 below is met)
2. Good mids (clear and not veiled and neutral at min and slightly forward at best)
3. Good comfort (plan to wear about 1 hour min and up to 2 hours max per session)
4. Decent soundstage (not too narrow or small, large isn't a bad thing either)
5. Not too difficult to drive (I will be using portable amps like the fiio e11 with probably the ipod touch 4g)

What are the full sized headphones that you guys recommend that fit what I'm looking for? Note: I don't mind equing just a little if there would be no distortion whatsoever and the headphones respond well to the eq.

Thanks!

Jun 7, 2011 at 3:50 AM Post #2 of 20
Seems like the HD600 fit almost perfectly with your criteria, except for the part about driving them.  You should be able to drive them fine but maybe not to their full full potential but probably close.

Another good alternative is the FA-003 or FA-002 which cost less, easier to drive, but slight less comfortable (HD600s are very comfy cans).

Jun 7, 2011 at 7:54 AM Post #3 of 20
I'm more of an iem man as I have or had the ie8, se530, fx-500, fx-700, sm3, hippo vb, sound magic pl50 (and 30), ie7, and monster pro gold. I want to listen to a good full sized can in the house though as they trump iems on average (price for price).

As far as full sized headphones I have the hfi-780 and sony v6. I had the bass monster bt770 80ohm pro (didn't like the recessed midrange though).

What I like the most are (not in order yet):

1. Decent bass (not too little but slightly above average. More on the sm3 level or above)
2. Great mids (very clear and not recessed but slightly forward)
3. Low or average treble (I don't like harsh or edgy upper mids or high treble)
4. Decent soundstage (above average if possible and average for a full sized can at minimum).

I think the sm3 has the right amount of bass, but a very little more wouldn't hurt. It has the right amount of forwardness to its midrange, but it could be a little clearer though. It has the right amount of treble for me (I don't like a lot of that treble stuff). Lastly, it has the right amount of soundstage for me (although more wouldn't hurt either). The se530 midrange is a touch too forward for me and has slightly less bass than I want. The fx-700 has a clear midrange but slightly recessed for my taste and on the borderline of too much bass and treble. The monster gold was nearly perfect except for the soundstage (slightly not big enough), and that it could have used an ever so slightly more forward midrange instead of being neutral. The ie7 is nearly perfect as well but the midrange is too pointy in its forwardness. What I mean is that only a narrow part of the midrange seems boosted forward (like a sharp peak) and not a wider mound like the sm3. This makes the ie7 sound a little thin in the midrange sometimes. The ie8 has a slightly veiled midrange (textured as some call it). I would be satisfied with the hfi-780 if it wasn't for the not so good comfort (I can't wear them for hours without paying for it) and the slight treble edginess (although I can eq it a little down). The sony v6 is also a little too bright for me.

What I want is a full sized headphone that has at least the bass quantity as the sm3 or more and no less than the hfi-780. I also want it too be very comfortable or at least more comfortable than average. I want the mids to shine and be clear and present (lush is a plus too). I don't care for treble or upper mids, so they can have rolled off treble or just average treble (but not more than that) for all I care. Soundstage has to be at least average too. I will listen to some rock (like old school hall and oates), some jazz (sade), some hip-hop, the type of r&b and pop with good vocals and decent bass, and some techno music (old school kraftwerk). I will use ipod touch 4g or sansa clip+ or galaxy s phone (whichever drives the best) with fiio e11 amp or fiio e7 amp. I will use only in the house and in my room since I will only use iems on the go. I prefer them to be under $300 but will consider nothing more than $350. I'll buy them used if I have to.

In order of preference I want

1. Adequate bass (too much isn't a bad thing if #2 below is met)
2. Good mids (clear and not veiled and neutral at min and slightly forward at best)
3. Good comfort (plan to wear about 1 hour min and up to 2 hours max per session)
4. Decent soundstage (not too narrow or small, large isn't a bad thing either)
5. Not too difficult to drive (I will be using portable amps like the fiio e11 with probably the ipod touch 4g)

What are the full sized headphones that you guys recommend that fit what I'm looking for? Note: I don't mind equing just a little if there would be no distortion whatsoever and the headphones respond well to the eq.

Thanks!

Being a basshead myself I had to make this difficult decision just as you did. I listen to a ton of hardstyle, dubstep, techo, electronica, trance, etc. So bass was obviously a huge factor in the next set of headphones I would buy. I am replacing the senn 448 powered by a asus stx (I do most of my listening on my computer and the headphone amp on this thing is very underrated). After long hours of research, I found that there were really only 4 pairs of cans for people on my sort of budget that had the same needs as you and I. The headphones I came up with were the Beyerdynamic DT 770 or 770 pro, the Shure SRH750 DJ, the Audio-Technica ATHM50. I ended up going for the athm50 because pretty much everyone in the world raves about how amazing they are and I got an excellent deal on them I actually remember when it was easy to find them for under 100, but nowadays I was lucky to get them for 120 shipped/insured. I think the m50s represent such good value for money as you now have 200 extra dollars to spend on a better amp.

Jun 7, 2011 at 9:28 AM Post #4 of 20

Quote:
Being a basshead myself I had to make this difficult decision just as you did. I listen to a ton of hardstyle, dubstep, techo, electronica, trance, etc. So bass was obviously a huge factor in the next set of headphones I would buy. I am replacing the senn 448 powered by a asus stx (I do most of my listening on my computer and the headphone amp on this thing is very underrated). After long hours of research, I found that there were really only 4 pairs of cans for people on my sort of budget that had the same needs as you and I. The headphones I came up with were the Beyerdynamic DT 770 or 770 pro, the Shure SRH750 DJ, the Audio-Technica ATHM50. I ended up going for the athm50 because pretty much everyone in the world raves about how amazing they are and I got an excellent deal on them I actually remember when it was easy to find them for under 100, but nowadays I was lucky to get them for 120 shipped/insured. I think the m50s represent such good value for money as you now have 200 extra dollars to spend on a better amp.

Did you even bother to read the OP's post?  He already has a pair of DT770s WHICH HE DOESN'T LIKE!  Plus M50s have recessed mids too!!!

As for my recommendations, I stick with my original ones.  Possibly add the HD650 if he wants a bit more bass.

Jun 8, 2011 at 12:24 AM Post #7 of 20

Quote:
What full sized cans have you researched that are on your short list and what about that particular head phone piqued your curiosity?

In order of preference (I never heard any of them though).

1. Fischer Audio fa-003 (im more concerned about comfort for these)
2. Senn hd-25-1 (im concerned whether the slight midbass hump veils the midrange a little)
3. xone xd-53 (don't know about these except that I heard they sound good)
4. senn hd650 (concerned about affording them and driving them with the fiio e11)
5. xb700m (concerned about the mid clarity and does the mids sound recessed)

Jun 8, 2011 at 4:47 PM Post #9 of 20

Quote:
sennheiser hd 25-1 ii:D

He is asking for full sized ones and not on-ears..

and btw it is funny wonderful easy to recommend in 6 different threads the hd25..

Jun 8, 2011 at 4:59 PM Post #10 of 20
Pretty much this. 

The Fa-003 are quite comfortable though after you stretch em out a little, but if not stretched out they kinda squeeze your head.
Just use a couple books to stretch em out and then they're perfect.
Quote:
Seems like the HD600 fit almost perfectly with your criteria, except for the part about driving them.  You should be able to drive them fine but maybe not to their full full potential but probably close.

Another good alternative is the FA-003 or FA-002 which cost less, easier to drive, but slight less comfortable (HD600s are very comfy cans).

Jun 8, 2011 at 7:09 PM Post #11 of 20
I've never hearrd nary a one of those headphones and I havent even heard of a couple of them. The 650 is outside the budget parameters you mentioned plus there is the drivability issue. If your only objection to the fa 003 is related to the comfort and not any possible concerns with the sound, check it out. If you dont like it sell it.

BTW I have a silver cabled Porta Pro for sale that is uber comfortable and sounds great. It's not full size but it's well within your stated budget
biggrin.gif

Jun 8, 2011 at 10:13 PM Post #12 of 20
Looking at the graphs I think the fa-003 doesn't have enough bass for me so my new list in order of preference is:

1. denon ah-d1100
2. hd-25-1 II
3. xb700

How is the midrange with these phones (as far as clearness and forwardness)?
How is the bass (as far as quantity and depth)?

Jun 10, 2011 at 5:52 AM Post #14 of 20
Did you even bother to read the OP's post?  He already has a pair of DT770s WHICH HE DOESN'T LIKE!  Plus M50s have recessed mids too!!!

As for my recommendations, I stick with my original ones.  Possibly add the HD650 if he wants a bit more bass.

Did you even read my post? Why do you think I went with the m50? If you aren't going to post anything constructive don't post at all.

Jun 10, 2011 at 6:03 AM Post #15 of 20

Quote:
Quote:

Did you even read my post? Why do you think I went with the m50? If you aren't going to post anything constructive don't post at all.

Like the OP mentioned, he does NOT want a recessed midrange.  BOTH the DT770s and the M50s have a recessed midrange.  My post was at worst unconstructive but your post is straight up misleading!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back