What does everyone want for christmas?
Dec 22, 2011 at 7:09 AM Post #331 of 504

Quote:
I wish for world peace, and a cure for cancer.

Hmmm, the force is strong with this one. 
tongue.gif

Dec 22, 2011 at 7:13 AM Post #332 of 504

Quote:
I wish for world peace, and a cure for cancer.

The second can be prevented with good eating and drinking habits and avoiding anything which poses a risk. Most cancer can be avoided. Why cure what can be avoided when it can be prevented.

Dec 22, 2011 at 7:27 AM Post #333 of 504

Quote:
The second can be prevented with good eating and drinking habits and avoiding anything which poses a risk. Most cancer can be avoided. Why cure what can be avoided when it can be prevented.

The risks of skin cancer can be increased by tanning. Tanning is caused by sunlight.

http://www.darksideoftanning.com.au/get_facts/get_facts.aspx

We can't avoid sunlight can we ? 
wink.gif

Dec 22, 2011 at 8:01 AM Post #335 of 504

Quote:
The risks of skin cancer can be increased by tanning. Tanning is caused by sunlight.

http://www.darksideoftanning.com.au/get_facts/get_facts.aspx

We can't avoid sunlight can we

The reason why this happens is do to a hole in the ozone layer. People weren't made to be in sunlight 12 hours a day. And people weren't meant to burn their skin either.

Dec 22, 2011 at 10:26 AM Post #338 of 504

Quote:
The second can (sometimes) be prevented with good eating and drinking habits and avoiding anything which poses a risk (of course, we are only learning what all those things are, now... with new ones every day - even once "safe" things). (Some) cancer can be avoided. Why cure what can be avoided when it can be prevented.

Annotated, and answered with this:

Because there are very MANY cancers which are not avoidable or preventable - they are sometimes detectable and treatable earlier though. But you need to consider genetic factors, environmental factors outside of your control, and damn dumb luck - please don't blame the victims by trying to put all cancers as something that can just be avoided by eating right and changing a few behaviors. This is simply not the case.

Of course, curing malaria would be a bigger humanitarian coup, but cancer is a bitch - and doing our best to find a more effective way to treat them, would save a lot of unnecessary pain for a lot of people. 

Frank - as someone who has seen one family member and one friend go in for brain tumors, and come out the other side healthy - I have only the best wishes for you ... try to also have some faith in the miracles of modern medicine. There are some amazing neurosurgeons and oncologists at work now.

All the best. Happy holidays, everyone. 

Dec 22, 2011 at 1:25 PM Post #342 of 504

Quote:

It looks like the statement he's referring to has been removed. I saw it earlier... there was far too much irony (this being a Christmas thread and all)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back