What does everyone want for christmas?
Dec 23, 2011 at 8:11 PM Post #362 of 504

Quote:

THIS STUFF IS GREAT, BUT I WANT MOAR!

Ah. Very nice, I can't imagine the high your headphones must be feeling right now from the Crack. 
wink.gif

Dec 23, 2011 at 11:13 PM Post #364 of 504

Quote:
i bet the crack would work well for me

if it didn't only support hi-impedance headphones,

I've always wanted to build a Crack, but I'd never had enough time for DIY projects. Too much schoolwork.

Dec 23, 2011 at 11:21 PM Post #365 of 504
I really want to get a pair of Beats Solos. Everyone knows Beats by Dr. Dre are the very best, otherwise why would everyone be wearing them? :cool:

Dec 24, 2011 at 5:23 AM Post #368 of 504

Quote:
Listening to my newly finished crack now. Feels like a Xmas gift to myself
biggrin.gif

Did you build the Crack -plain -  or with the Speedball constant-current stuff?  I built mine with Speedball, and never heard the "un-speedball" Crack. I wonder what it sounds like, what the differences are between Speedball and Plain.

I  used 100 uF film capacitors from Parts Express for the output DC blocking caps, instead of the stock electrolytics.  In fact, I have BOTH in the Crack, with a switch to toggle back and forth, so I could A/B the difference between a film cap and an electrolytic. The difference was audible, I wondered if it would be.  I mean everyone says, oh film caps sound so much better.  Well, I had to see for myself- or rather, hear for myself. It's not a night-and-day difference, but I could hear a difference. The film cap had a slightly smoother sound to cymbals and other high frequency stuff. More of like a 'sheen' of highs and less "crunch" or "edginess" in the highs.  Midrange and bass sounded the same.  Like I said it wasn't  huge difference, but there was a difference.  I preferred the film cap sound.

I liked the Crack so much I also built an Eros phono stage.  The Eros is a great phono stage, just like the Crack is a wonderful little headphone amp.  And the Bottlehead kits are fun to build.

Crack, white lacquer color scheme

Eros, also in white

Dec 24, 2011 at 1:51 PM Post #369 of 504

Quote:
Did you build the Crack -plain -  or with the Speedball constant-current stuff?  I built mine with Speedball, and never heard the "un-speedball" Crack. I wonder what it sounds like, what the differences are between Speedball and Plain.

I  used 100 uF film capacitors from Parts Express for the output DC blocking caps, instead of the stock electrolytics.  In fact, I have BOTH in the Crack, with a switch to toggle back and forth, so I could A/B the difference between a film cap and an electrolytic. The difference was audible, I wondered if it would be.  I mean everyone says, oh film caps sound so much better.  Well, I had to see for myself- or rather, hear for myself. It's not a night-and-day difference, but I could hear a difference. The film cap had a slightly smoother sound to cymbals and other high frequency stuff. More of like a 'sheen' of highs and less "crunch" or "edginess" in the highs.  Midrange and bass sounded the same.  Like I said it wasn't  huge difference, but there was a difference.  I preferred the film cap sound.

I liked the Crack so much I also built an Eros phono stage.  The Eros is a great phono stage, just like the Crack is a wonderful little headphone amp.  And the Bottlehead kits are fun to build.

Eros, also in white

That kind of crack could give you such a musical high it's not even funny. I've never understood why the headphone jack is on the top and not placed on one of the sides of the amp instead.

Dec 24, 2011 at 2:54 PM Post #370 of 504
Did you build the Crack -plain -  or with the Speedball constant-current stuff?

Great looking kits milosz. The white looks very nice with the painted transformer. Thanks for the film cap info, that switch was a good idea.
I'm building the speedball unit now and will install it after listening to the basic unit for a week. I'm curious what the difference will be.

I've never understood why the headphone jack is on the top and not placed on one of the sides of the amp instead.

The top plate is resting on the wood base. It can be flipped upside down for modding. Having the connections on the top simplifies things and gives it a neat look. Some people have modded their cracks for front and rear connections.

Dec 24, 2011 at 4:03 PM Post #371 of 504
Now I want a HiFiMan HE-400 to go with my HD650 and Q701.

Dec 24, 2011 at 10:17 PM Post #372 of 504
Quote:

Eros, also in white

Where did you get your case from milosz? Very nice, high quality case it looks like.

** People who quote pictures remember to delete the pictures**

Dec 30, 2011 at 12:54 AM Post #373 of 504
I got my wish.

I borrowed far too much money for the last available flight from Maine to Florida.  After eight hundred and eighty dollars, eleven hours and three first class flights I saw my sister.  I spent Christmas with her. I told her that I love her, and I cried with her.  I gave her away at her wedding. I started making one thousand paper cranes with her, and I said goodbye.  I'm back home now.  It was the last time that I will see her, and it was the toughest thing I will have ever had, or will ever have to do in my lifetime.  She raised me, and means more to me than anyone ever will.

She majored in micro biology and immunology, She specifically did everything possible to avoid having cancer.  She ate only unprocessed, organic, health foods.  She drank only sugar free tea, fruit juices, and filtered water.  She is an incredibly sanitary person, a germaphobe, and never smoked anything in her life.  She has exercised more than most people will in their lives, loved walking through town, and hiking, and she has terminal cancer at thirty three years old.

Dec 30, 2011 at 12:57 AM Post #374 of 504
Cancer is a bitch. 

I am glad you got a chance to see your sister. My thoughts are with you both. 

Dec 30, 2011 at 12:58 AM Post #375 of 504
All I know is that I got a pair of Beats Studios...which I sold...at least they aren't the Solos...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back