What amps have you got your eye on?
Jul 17, 2012 at 8:29 PM Post #61 of 155

Everything else is just a placeholder for this bad boy. Of course, if you are really serious, the dual-monos are the only way to go - 

Jul 17, 2012 at 8:37 PM Post #62 of 155
Keep dreaming 
tongue.gif

Jul 18, 2012 at 8:10 AM Post #65 of 155
While, I am not in any need for a new headphone amp, if I had a spare room that allowed a stereo system, I would probably get a vintage Dynaco amp or a modern day clone of the amp. 

For those who are looking for a new headphone amp, whether it's tube or solid state, make sure that it has a good quality power supply. Usually, the heavier in weight, the better.

Jul 18, 2012 at 8:35 AM Post #66 of 155
Its on wheels so it could be considered portable. Just need a quality LOD now... :p

Jul 18, 2012 at 5:42 PM Post #68 of 155
Quote:

For those who are looking for a new headphone amp, whether it's tube or solid state, make sure that it has a good quality power supply. Usually, the heavier in weight, the better.

I love massive power supplies. 

Jul 18, 2012 at 6:42 PM Post #70 of 155
Violectric V200 or Audio-GD NFB-6 to go balanced combined with my NFB-17.2 
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 18, 2012 at 7:43 PM Post #71 of 155
I got my Valhalla today.  I've only had it a few hours, so it has a lot of burning in to do with the tubes, caps, etc.  However, I can post a few generalities.

I've only been listening with it and my DT990/600.  I've been driving my DT990s with my Asgard for quite some time because surprisingly it does a better job with them than my Trafomatic.  The Trafomatic beats the Asgard with my HD600s, but the Asgard wins the DT990 battle.  So, for this mini comparison we're only going to talk about the DT990s, Asgard and Valhalla.

The "new" Valhalla (that is now rollable) definitely has the Schiit house sound.  It is voiced very similarly to the Asgard.  But, I can pick out a few differences.

The soundstage on the Valhalla is a little smaller.  This may open up with burn in, but many reviewers have concluded the Asgard is wider, so no surprise or disappointment there for me.

The bass on the Valhalla goes a little deeper and is a little more controlled.

The level of micro-detail between both amps is about the same.

The Valhalla has a little more pronounced top end.  Many people have said that the "old" Valhalla was bright, and brighter than the Asgard.  I would not call the "new" Valhalla bright in any stretch of the imagination.  It is pretty relaxed and has tube magic in the mids.  But, the highs are more pronounced on the Valhalla.  This might relax a bit after burn in, but it's not bad at all and certainly still very pleasant.

Overall, I think the Valhalla has more "control" over the DT990s than the Asgard does.  I don't have the vocabulary to fully describe it, but it's just a more cohesive and focused tapestry of sound.  Not that the Asgard was bad in any way....it drove the DT990s very well...it's just that the Valhalla is better.

These are my very brief thoughts.  More to come in the future.

Oh, I'm also surprised by how cool the amp runs and how much the tubes really don't glow all that much.  It sounds great and has power reserves deep in reserve, so I'm assuming it is working correctly.
Quote:

I'd love to be able to try a Valhalla next to my Asgard. The Valhalla, although geared more towards higher impedance phones, is something I really want to try, especially now that I'm dabbling with high impedances.

Jul 18, 2012 at 7:53 PM Post #72 of 155
Yes tubes aren't light bulbs. I think we all go, "Ohhh" when you get your first tube amp :).

Don't worry about your vocab. There is nothing more eye rolling when a reviewer seems to make the gap between product A and product B a novel. tl;dr. Short and sweet is the best.

Jul 18, 2012 at 9:59 PM Post #73 of 155
I've had the little country 3 for a little over a year. That amp, "Ohhh" doesn't even begin to describe. 

Then again, I did get my Music Streamer II in the mail that same day and those two power my DT990's much better than my phone or laptop xD.

Jul 18, 2012 at 10:06 PM Post #74 of 155
Quote:
I got my Valhalla today.  I've only had it a few hours, so it has a lot of burning in to do with the tubes, caps, etc.  However, I can post a few generalities.

I've only been listening with it and my DT990/600.  I've been driving my DT990s with my Asgard for quite some time because surprisingly it does a better job with them than my Trafomatic.  The Trafomatic beats the Asgard with my HD600s, but the Asgard wins the DT990 battle.  So, for this mini comparison we're only going to talk about the DT990s, Asgard and Valhalla.

The "new" Valhalla (that is now rollable) definitely has the Schiit house sound.  It is voiced very similarly to the Asgard.  But, I can pick out a few differences.

The soundstage on the Valhalla is a little smaller.  This may open up with burn in, but many reviewers have concluded the Asgard is wider, so no surprise or disappointment there for me.

The bass on the Valhalla goes a little deeper and is a little more controlled.

The level of micro-detail between both amps is about the same.

The Valhalla has a little more pronounced top end.  Many people have said that the "old" Valhalla was bright, and brighter than the Asgard.  I would not call the "new" Valhalla bright in any stretch of the imagination.  It is pretty relaxed and has tube magic in the mids.  But, the highs are more pronounced on the Valhalla.  This might relax a bit after burn in, but it's not bad at all and certainly still very pleasant.

Overall, I think the Valhalla has more "control" over the DT990s than the Asgard does.  I don't have the vocabulary to fully describe it, but it's just a more cohesive and focused tapestry of sound.  Not that the Asgard was bad in any way....it drove the DT990s very well...it's just that the Valhalla is better.

These are my very brief thoughts.  More to come in the future.

Oh, I'm also surprised by how cool the amp runs and how much the tubes really don't glow all that much.  It sounds great and has power reserves deep in reserve, so I'm assuming it is working correctly.

hodgjy, thanks very much for this overview here. Very informative. The Valhalla sounds very interesting.

Jul 18, 2012 at 11:21 PM Post #75 of 155
You're welcome.  The Valhalla is a very nice amp.  I've got about 5 hours on it now, and it's really starting to open up and smooth out a bit.  Fully broken in, this is going to be spectacular.

Quote:
hodgjy, thanks very much for this overview here. Very informative. The Valhalla sounds very interesting.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back