What amps have you got your eye on?
Jul 19, 2012 at 2:06 AM Post #76 of 155
Just bought a Valhalla today. I already have an arsenal of over 100 different types of tubes, so it should be fun.

Jul 19, 2012 at 6:06 PM Post #79 of 155
I thought the Lyr was the (single-ended) Schiit all the cool kids were buying ? Valhalla seems sooooo 2010 ....... 

Jul 19, 2012 at 8:59 PM Post #82 of 155
Quote:
I'm so jealous of all you guys and your rollable Valhallas :frowning2:

The obsolete
biggrin.gif
 Valhalla is rollable! You just need to stick with the same type/model of tube. I have 6n1p tubes from four different factory's, different years and different grades.

There all going to sound a little different.

Jul 20, 2012 at 11:13 AM Post #84 of 155
You can roll in the same tube type from different manufacturers (but there is some debate if more than one manufacturer actually made the tube--they might just be rebadges).  You cannot roll in "equivalent" or alternate, "near", or "like" tubes into the old Valhalla.
Quote:
You rolled with the vintage Valhalla? 

Jul 20, 2012 at 12:31 PM Post #86 of 155
Quote:
You can roll in the same tube type from different manufacturers (but there is some debate if more than one manufacturer actually made the tube--they might just be rebadges).  You cannot roll in "equivalent" or alternate, "near", or "like" tubes into the old Valhalla.

But in the past, folks would roll tubes of brands, not types, as most tube gear was intended for one type/model of tube.

Jul 20, 2012 at 1:06 PM Post #87 of 155
Very true, but as the hobby grew, designers and users began to push the envelope and roll in "near" equivalent tubes.

Quote:
But in the past, folks would roll tubes of brands, not types, as most tube gear was intended for one type/model of tube.

Jul 20, 2012 at 2:48 PM Post #88 of 155
Been running the Valhalla for a couple hours now. One hour on the stock tubes and one on the two year old tubes from my X-CanV3. The 6h23n-vb are way more forward then the stockers.

Jul 20, 2012 at 3:14 PM Post #90 of 155
Quote:
So does rolling tubes take some of the edge of the highs on the Valhalla? I heard it was pretty sparkley/sharp. 

It all depends on the DAC and cans your using. For the short time I've had mine, I've noticed the stock tubes a pretty much flat, not bright at all. The tubes I just rolled in are way to forward, bright, alive or fast paced(take your pic)

They sound warm and smooth in my Xcanv3. 

So I'd say YES! you can shape the sound in many ways by rolling tubes.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back