What amps have you got your eye on?
Jul 17, 2012 at 1:25 AM Post #46 of 155
A group buy for the Asgard? It's a $250 amp as it is - what would you have them drop it to? These are widely perceived as great bang-for-buck products. At $250, it's a safe price to sample the house sound and quality, IMHO.

Jul 17, 2012 at 1:35 AM Post #47 of 155
Quote:
I'm mildly interested in the Bellari HA540 or Little Dot MKIII as affordable first tube amps. The Schiit Asgard and Valhalla holds interest as well... If I someone buys my AHA-120, I'd probably try a Asgard, though I'd really like to try them side by side. 

I'm slightly more interested though in the Ibasso P4. I just really want to see what it can do with a HD650. I love the exchangeable opamp option... A budget portable that sounds as good as/near the AHA-120 would be really sweet. Seems unlikely but I've been looking for one! I'm close to as interested in a Neco Soundlab. 

Perhaps most of all right now, I want to try a Bottlehead Crack w/ my HD650. I really wish they didn't cost so much for Bottlehead to assemble. I'm just not a DIYer (nor do I have the tools/space) but would like to try one of these. If they were $300 or so shipped, I'd be all over this, especially with the reviews of how it pairs with the HD650. Close to $500 assembled and shipped puts me too close to the next option...

I am unashamedly intrigued by the Burson HD160. The open box Burson HD160 from soundeaphones for $570 is tempting... but not really. So out of my price range! I think its the amp I'd most like to try now though. 

Congratulations, you seem to have a shortlist of about 15 amps !  
rolleyes.gif

Jul 17, 2012 at 10:38 AM Post #50 of 155
Has anyone tried DNA Sonett with LCD-2?  I know it sound very good with HD800, but you know, LCD-2 is a different story.
Does it have enough gobbs to shake those huge drivers or planar?
I never see published power output though.

It seems that Sonett has lesser 'follower' nowadays.

Can you see how beautiful it is.

Jul 17, 2012 at 4:30 PM Post #51 of 155
Too pretty - you want something a bit more industrial - you want a rig capable of driving both headphones and speakers - you want Gallic goodness, Pre/power combo - class A monoblocks. 

Jul 17, 2012 at 5:59 PM Post #52 of 155
Im still looking for my future amp, have too many options. 

As for tubes, the Dark star or the WA22
Solid state: Soloist/B22 and also curious about the new amp from Bryston. 

Jul 17, 2012 at 6:09 PM Post #53 of 155
Quote:

I see how beautiful it is every day.  
biggrin.gif

See?

I think I remember reading some bits about it being paired with the LCDs in the Sonett thread, but I might be wrong.  Ultimately, I think Donald would tell you his new Stratus is a better match, with it being more powerful.

Feel free to bring some LCDs over to my place and try them out.  
biggrin.gif

Jul 17, 2012 at 6:17 PM Post #54 of 155
Quote:
Has anyone tried DNA Sonett with LCD-2?  I know it sound very good with HD800, but you know, LCD-2 is a different story.
Does it have enough gobbs to shake those huge drivers or planar?
I never see published power output though.

It seems that Sonett has lesser 'follower' nowadays.

Ask jrisles.

I wish it weren't baby blue....

Jul 17, 2012 at 6:55 PM Post #56 of 155
I see how beautiful it is every day.  :D

See?

I think I remember reading some bits about it being paired with the LCDs in the Sonett thread, but I might be wrong.  Ultimately, I think Donald would tell you his new Stratus is a better match, with it being more powerful.

Feel free to bring some LCDs over to my place and try them out.  :D

Yes, I saw some mentioned in the Sonett thread that pairing with LCD-2 is good, but you're right, I remember Donald mentioned Stratus is a better match for lower impedance current hunry phones. I'll read more on the Stratus thread then.

Thanks for your offer to audition at your place. I love this hobby :D

Jul 17, 2012 at 6:56 PM Post #57 of 155
There's something awesome about stacks of gear. Its weirdly satisfying to see multiple, similar looking, components stacked on top of each other..... 

Jul 17, 2012 at 7:00 PM Post #58 of 155
Ask jrisles.

^ Sorry for the multiple quote, I'm replying on my mobile, editor compatibility is an issue, not so smooth to move cursor around.
Ok, I'll ask him.

Ps. I'm ok with the baby blue :D but I can't tolerate a pink amp.

Jul 17, 2012 at 7:09 PM Post #60 of 155
Quote:

Ask jrisles.

the blue is darker (EDIT: in person)  and looks pretty dang good. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back