What amps have you got your eye on?
Jul 20, 2012 at 4:05 PM Post #91 of 155
I've just logged an hour on some 6h1n-EB(79) Russian mil spec. Any of you like an in your face mid range? These tubes make the bass tight, midrange forward and the treble smooth. sound stage seems unchanged(for the most part).

Jul 20, 2012 at 5:26 PM Post #92 of 155
Jason told me directly that the new Valhalla is more relaxed and natural with the same tubes than the old Valhalla.

Quote:
So does rolling tubes take some of the edge of the highs on the Valhalla? I heard it was pretty sparkley/sharp. 

Jul 21, 2012 at 3:39 AM Post #93 of 155
But isnt the Lyr more powerful ????  
confused.gif

Jul 21, 2012 at 5:28 PM Post #96 of 155
I settled on an O2.

Jul 22, 2012 at 12:35 AM Post #98 of 155
My mum told me never to settle. I know the perfect amp is still out there, somewhere, and she is saving herself for me. 

Jul 22, 2012 at 6:02 AM Post #99 of 155
Quote:
My mum told me never to settle. I know the perfect amp is still out there, somewhere, and she is saving herself for me. 

Settle on, not settle for.  You understand the difference, I hope?

Jul 22, 2012 at 8:41 AM Post #100 of 155
As Sgt Schultz used to say 'I know nothing !'   
wink.gif

I've been using the EHP-O2 since early January. Its a homely-but-capable little beast, much like a girl I knew I met on Koh Chang some years ago. 

Jul 23, 2012 at 9:05 AM Post #102 of 155
What do I have my eye on?

Valhalla or Lyr. 

Headphones are HD650's
DAC is.... nothing right now. Will be Bifrost.

Was pretty sold on the Valhalla until I started reading the Lyr threads. It seems the people with the Lyr HD650 combo really like it with the right tubes. (That's not to say I don't hear the same things about the valhalla - minus the tube rolling part.)

Back to reading.......

Jul 23, 2012 at 10:51 AM Post #104 of 155
The noise floor on the Lyr is much higher than the Valhalla.  The Lyr was intended for orthos, which are typically very inefficient and not troubled by noise floors.  Many people have found the Lyr sounds nice with dynamic headphones, but at the cost of noise.  You'd be much better off with the Valhalla.

Quote:
What do I have my eye on?

Valhalla or Lyr. 

Headphones are HD650's
DAC is.... nothing right now. Will be Bifrost.

Was pretty sold on the Valhalla until I started reading the Lyr threads. It seems the people with the Lyr HD650 combo really like it with the right tubes. (That's not to say I don't hear the same things about the valhalla - minus the tube rolling part.)

Back to reading.......

Jul 23, 2012 at 10:59 AM Post #105 of 155
its settled.....bryston!!

now to sell my pet frog.......
evil_smiley.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back