Westone ES5
Nov 6, 2010 at 1:36 PM Post #511 of 5,554

Quote:
by the way, i called jaben and asked about their westone es5 pricing, they quoted me 1.8k-2k

That's juz crazy pricing. Bet they goes to TG as well.

Nov 7, 2010 at 11:01 AM Post #512 of 5,554
Has anyone here ever tried the ES5's in a live music setting? I am a bass player that has been using  universal IEM's for many years. I started with the various Shure products, but couldn't seem to get more than a year out of a set without a driver, or cable failure. I've been using UM3X's for a while now and after being weaned of the bass heavy Shure's, I find I can hear the notes I am playing much better than before. The UM3x's seem to be flatter or more accuate than what I had been used to. While some players like the bass heavy IEM's, I find hearing the low mid of  the bass notes, is actually better than the deep low thump for accuracy when playing. I know most here on head-fi use them mainly for listening to recorded music, but I thought I might throw this out there to see if any other players had been using the ES5's for stage use.

Nov 7, 2010 at 12:57 PM Post #513 of 5,554

Quote:
Has anyone here ever tried the ES5's in a live music setting? I am a bass player that has been using  universal IEM's for many years. I started with the various Shure products, but couldn't seem to get more than a year out of a set without a driver, or cable failure. I've been using UM3X's for a while now and after being weaned of the bass heavy Shure's, I find I can hear the notes I am playing much better than before. The UM3x's seem to be flatter or more accuate than what I had been used to. While some players like the bass heavy IEM's, I find hearing the low mid of  the bass notes, is actually better than the deep low thump for accuracy when playing. I know most here on head-fi use them mainly for listening to recorded music, but I thought I might throw this out there to see if any other players had been using the ES5's for stage use.

Check this out:

http://www.l2pnet.com/stories/westone-es5-iems-10142010

Nov 7, 2010 at 5:49 PM Post #514 of 5,554
I also accidentally destroyed my JH13's about two months ago.  In my case, I stupidly broke BOTH earpieces. There are no "free" repairs from JH, however, and no "have mercy on a stupid user who broke his IEM's" replacement discount. To replace my JH13's I actually would have had to pay more than I did for the original pair.

So I am in the same position; I have to decide whether to save up and replace my JH13's or to get something different. The Westones are actually a bit cheaper than the JH13's, and the price at my local hearing center includes the ear impressions. So I'm tempted.  Has anyone done a direct comparison?
Doug

Nov 7, 2010 at 6:10 PM Post #515 of 5,554

Quote:
I also accidentally destroyed my JH13's about two months ago.  In my case, I stupidly broke BOTH earpieces. There are no "free" repairs from JH, however, and no "have mercy on a stupid user who broke his IEM's" replacement discount. To replace my JH13's I actually would have had to pay more than I did for the original pair.

So I am in the same position; I have to decide whether to save up and replace my JH13's or to get something different. The Westones are actually a bit cheaper than the JH13's, and the price at my local hearing center includes the ear impressions. So I'm tempted.  Has anyone done a direct comparison?
Doug

If you only broke the shells, you can just get them remolded. If not, see below for more wallet killing fun:

Here's a JH-13 vs. Westone ES5 comparison:

http://www.anythingbutipod.com/forum/showthread.php?t=58585

EDIT: Keep in mind that the reviewer was Sonic748i, VoLTaG3, iRadiO, etc. He has been banned on multiple websites (including Head-Fi, and ABI). So take that comparison with a grain of salt (or perhaps a spoonful).

EDIT: After taking a look into iRadiO (and his other aliases), I have come to the conclusion that it is probably not a good idea for you to take any meaningful information from this review. ^Ignore this review.

Another comparison (w/JH-16, UE18, etc.):

https://www.editorsguild.com/FromtheGuild.cfm?FromTheGuildid=176

AFAIK, those are the only 2 comparisons. HPA is currently working on his comparison between the UE11, JH13, ES3X, and ES5.

Nov 7, 2010 at 6:43 PM Post #516 of 5,554
Great reviews.... thanks! I was choosing between the ES5s, JH 16s and UE18s, and went for the JH 16s because I love deep bass, but without compromises. Maybe in the future I will buy an ES5.

Nov 7, 2010 at 7:00 PM Post #517 of 5,554

Quote:
 Doug

This is actually something that's bringing me to try the Future Sonics customs. If you had FS customs and broke them, you'd pay a fee, depending on the damage, up to about $200 and potentially get upgraded drivers, too.

People really like the ES5 and Westone is known for their build quality and customer service, too. Try a pair and give us a review!

Nov 7, 2010 at 7:12 PM Post #518 of 5,554

Quote:

Doug

Sorry about that, but this is exactly why I got an extended warranty with accidental damage coverage from SquareTrade for 172 + tax (after discount code twtyoff). I would highly recommend everyone to get one.

Nov 8, 2010 at 7:18 PM Post #519 of 5,554
Actually, had I a head that's screwed on straight I could have arranged to purchase an articles policy on the JH-13's from the company that handles my homeowner's insurance, and this would cost less than the SquareTrade coverage. But I did not do it, assuming that I was careful enough not to accidentally smash my IEM's.  No fool like an old fool. For my next custom IEM's, whatever they are and whenever I can afford to buy them, I will take this precautionary step.

Nov 9, 2010 at 5:42 PM Post #520 of 5,554
What about amps for this IEM?  Anyone have some advice on a good match?  Of course there is a couple of new ones on the market that are interesting.  There is the new ibosso P4 and Ray Sameuls has a new one coming out.  

Users who are viewing this thread

Back