What is your gaming preference?

• Just a good headphones + microphone combo

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Aug 3, 2018 at 2:50 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

S.T.A.L.K.E.R.

New Head-Fier
Greetings,

:warning: First of I would like to excuse myself for starting yet another "what do you recomend" thread, but as someone who has just started to deal with a problem of sound on my computer, I would like to hear your advice.

I am looking for a set of headsets/headphones that will be used mainly for gaming (so directional audio is important) and secondary for listening music/movies.

I spent few days researching the topic of computer audio department, and based on other peoples feedback, I concluded that best solution is to avoid true surround headphones/headsets, and use a good pair of stereo headphones, and let the sound card deal with the surround virtualization.

Basically, these are the priority parameters which I am looking at currently:

- Good comfort (after all they are to be used for a prolonged periods of time - like several hours of gaming session)
- Closed back (i.e. NO leaking noise into the surrounding)
- Over-the-ear (and I think on something with large ear cups)
- Good soundstage with acurate directional input

* First problem is that currently I have a limited budget (up to 150$),
* Second problem is that the place where I live has quite high import fees and taxes (Such is the life in the Zone :radioactive:), so even something like Logitech G430 which costs 55$ on Amazon, are priced over 90$ over here (not to mention that Audio-Technica ATH M50X cost over 200$)...
So you should add 30-50$ to everything you suggest.
* And third problem is that I don't have DAC & Amp, so I'm currently using my motherboards integrated sound card.

Currently I am using MSI P67 C45 motherboard, and I'm not sure of it's sound cards capabilities.

Specifications are:

Audio

• Chipset integrated by Realtek® ALC892
- Flexible 8-channel audio with jack sensing
- Compliant with Azalia 1.0 Spec
- Meet Microsoft Vista Premium spec

Manufacturers site says "MSI offers the Loss-less 24-bit/192KHz HD Audio function with an incredible 109 SNR dB value to provide the most clear & vivid HD audio quality and support 7.1 channels surround sound playback with a 2-channel independent stereo output (multiple streaming) through the front panel 3.5 inch phone jack."

# If you think I need an DAC & Amp (preferably an external one) then I would be delighted to hear your suggestions.

So, to summarise everything:

I'm looking for closed back stereo headsets (or headphones+microphone combo) that will be used mostly for gaming, that will be used with motherboards sound card, or with an external DAC & Amp (but they will both have to fit that limited budget).

Currently I'm leaning towards buying Logitech G230 (it's the same stereo headset as G430, just without virtual surround USB dongle), plus buying some good external DAC&Amp to get the most out of the headset and use it to virtualize surround sound (additionally that DAC&Amp would be used when I manage get some better headsets/headphones).

Once again I would like to apologize for the wall of text, but I would rather add all parameters now, then interrupt the thread with additional requests.

Good luck to you out there.

Last edited:
Aug 3, 2018 at 5:14 PM Post #5 of 14
Well, that also depends on the type of sound card that is used on your motherboard.

You might have an high end motherboard with good integrated sound card.

Or, also, you might have an sound card that is just sufficient enough for your headphones to work ok, but if you added the amplifier you could get all the potential out of your headphones (which your current sound card cannot exploit).

Of course we can't know which is the case with your sound card, without knowing it's model, but I'm talking about general stuff.

Majority of consumer motherboards will run anything below 35 Ω just fine, but for anything with higher impedance you better have an good sound card, or add an amplifier if you want to get the most out of your headphones.

Aug 4, 2018 at 9:44 PM Post #9 of 14
Find and sell artifacts and mug newbies in the Cordon to increase your budget.

Aug 4, 2018 at 10:39 PM Post #10 of 14
Ah--disappointing. You might also find an ATH M40X where you are. It would also be a good option.

I heard good stuff about Audio-Technica ATH series, but my concern is the public opinion that they can be somewhat uncomfortable due to mainly the headband, ears touching the drivers, and clamping force. After all, I would be using headphones for extended periods of time.

Find and sell artifacts and mug newbies in the Cordon to increase your budget.

Alas, Sidorovich took all of my money for weapons repair and radiation removing vodka. :tumbler_glass:

Aug 5, 2018 at 3:44 AM Post #11 of 14
Just get a Superlux HMD-660E until you can afford a Beyer DT770 80 Pro + Antlion Mod Mic.
It's basically a Chinese 'clone' of the DT770. You might need to replace the pads down the road, but the rest of it is built like a tank.
If the clamping pressure is too high, just bend out the metal headband a little. (As you would with a Beyerdynamic).
Audio quality is what you'd expect from a Superlux - EXCELLENT value for money. The only thing missing is the lowest bass rumbles.
The mic isn't too bad either.

Just plug it into your motherboard audio (at the back/rear ports, not the front, as front ports are usually unshileded and crap) until you can afford an external DAC/AMP.
You don't need a special soundcard or DAC for gaming, as the positional audio is all controlled by the game software.

Aug 5, 2018 at 11:58 AM Post #13 of 14
The ohm rating has much less to do with how loud the headphone can get and how difficult it is to drive compared with the Sensitivity.
If I recall correctly, this headphone should have a rating of 98dB which is sensitive enough for use with PC motherboards.

You don't actually need an amplifier for this headphone.
A lot of headphones up to 150 Ohms will give sufficient or excessive volume out of a PC motherboard depending on their sensitivity.
ALso, if you'd rather save up for something good in future, just start with a PCM 2704 USB DAC.
They're crazy powerful for their size, dirt cheap and provide a very clean signal because it's an external source.

I'll let others guide you with amps/dacs as I've not owned or tested a great enough number.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back