wanted: Pico Slim review
Mar 15, 2010 at 7:15 PM Post #47 of 73
Quote:

Originally Posted by dmbphan041 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
this or the pico slim to pair with an iphone 3gs?

It really depends on (1) the form factor you need and (2) what you will drive with the amp (power requirement). I have the demo Pico Slim here right now in front of me. You can see it in the photo I posted yesterday. The slim is the same length as Protector, about 1/4 - 1/3" narrower, and about half as thick as the Protector. So, if you want to slip the two stacked together in your pants pocket the Slim is going to fit much better. The Slim is the same width and thickness as the tiny iBasso T3, being only about 1/2" longer than the T3 (or 2/3" including volume knob). Even in it's leather protective case the Slim is a little smaller/thinner than the Protector.

I am mostly using the DACport 24/96 USB DAC as my source, with the volume knob at about 80% of max, feeding it into my portable amps via a jumbo cryo silver x clone (copper/silver) mini-mini. The Slim with non-balanced JH13Pro or ES3X is every bit as good as the 72 hour Protector or P-51 Mustang with the same NON-balanced custom IEM. (I only just got my balanced TWag cable and adapter that I have to burn-in).

The Slim cannot drive the HD600 with the same authority as the larger balanced Protector, but then the HD600 are not really a portable headphone either. The Slim can actually drive the HD600 to decent levels and sound quality (RSA balanced adapter/Equinox cable plus TWag SE adapter), and you can turn the volume to max without clipping. Although the Slim with HD600 wont get loud enough to feel the bass hitting hard like with the Protector, the volume is louder than my normal listening volumes. The Slim is a definite upgrade over the iPhone or iPod driving the HD600 unamplified, and I get close to an extra 3 dB or so out of my iMod with the Slim vs the headphone out, along with a lot of extra detail and soundstage. I have not had a chance to compare the Slim's power output using HD600 to the P-51, which also cannot drive the HD600 as authoritatively as the Protector but does a decent job in a pinch.

I will not do any more detailed comparisons than that yet - it's too early and I haven't had enough time with either amp. Yes, there are small differences in sound signature that I will delve into once the Protector is burned-in, but I'm not ready to do a full on review until the Protector has the recommended number of hours. I have written notes on the differences, but they may change or go away with more burn-in.

I can say that Ray and Justin have outdone themselves this time. Overall I do prefer the Slim to the original Pico, and I like it as much as my P-51 Mustang, while having their small differences in sound signatures. The P-51 has the signature RSA sound, and the Slim has the signature Headamp sound. Both are a noticeable step up from the tiny T3 portable, with only an extra 1/2" in length, and they belong in the top tier of portable amps. In my case I will be more likely to carry the Slim with my 5G Nano and IEM in my pants pocket, and use the Protector in my laptop rig with a nice DAC and balanced headphones. But that is just me - I had a purpose in mind for each of these amps when I bought them, and they will suit them perfectly.

Mar 19, 2010 at 9:33 PM Post #48 of 73
Quote:

Originally Posted by jelt2359 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Larry's comment here:

http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f149/t...0/index10.html

In particular, this "If I use the TWag cable + single ended adapter with Pico Slim Demo Amp or RSA P-51, I can enjoy it just as much as with the Protector single ended. But when I remove the SE adapter and go balanced, then the soundstage opens up and also becomes more transparent (I have about 160 hours on the Protector)."

Has made me decided to just stick with my Protector and forgo the Slim. I read this as the Protector, Mustang and Slim being on a fairly plane when SE, but when the Protector is used in balanced mode things are taken to another level.

Quote:

Originally Posted by grawk /img/forum/go_quote.gif
you should use your own ears, and not the ears of someone else on the internet.

X3 - use your own ears, or wait for a more in depth review.

The Pico Slim is a fantastic portable for the size. I posted elsewhere that it's only 1/2" longer than my miniature iBasso T3, well above it in sound quality, and half as thick as the Protector. For a while I had stopped taking a portable amp with me for an iPod because I wanted something small enough to fit in my pants pocket when velcro'd or stacked with a Nano, iPhone or iMod. I ended up only looking at portable amps with USB built-in because the thicker amps available served me better being used with my Macbook Pro.

The thin Fiio E5 and iBasso T4 were not an improvement over the iPod, except in warming up the sound signature and giving more power - but not really hi-fi sounding as far as detail and soundstage. The T3 improved on that in terms of detail and transparency, and it could sound better than the iPhone 3GS headphone out, so I started carrying an amp again.

But I kept wishing for something that size that could match the P-51 (which is fatter like Protector). The Pico Slim is all that and more, based on the demo loaner unit I have here. It's a perfect match with my ES3X which can sound slightly aggressive paired with the P-51, and it gives a boost in the bass to them and my JH13Pro.

I'll be using Pico Slim as a portable with an iPod every where I go now, and Protector will be more likely to stay with my Macbook Pro using Pico DAC or DACport for source (at home or traveling). I see them filling two different needs for me. I am using the Protector A LOT with my HD600 and Macbook, rediscovering how much I still like them - I've missed using balanced HD600 since the PSU on my Sq Wave XL went bad, and then when my Sigma 22 PSU had a different issue that was causing problems.

Back to the amps in question: The Protector is slightly "harder or aggressive" sounding in the upper mids and lower treble like the P-51 Mustang, but also improved. The Pico Slim is slightly smoother in those upper registers and more refined, but has a upper bass hump instead which seems to resonate a tiny bit in my ears with the JH13pro. So, with the JH13Pro the Slim is a little more neutral in the upper mids and treble and the Protector is more neutral in the upper bass and lower mids. Switching to the Westone ES3X, which are what I used to audition the Slim at CanJam 09, I fell in love all over again.

Protector%20vs%20Pico%20Slim.jpg

Pico-20Slim-20Demo-20Amp.jpg

Pico%20Slim%20vs%20Protector.jpg

Mar 20, 2010 at 6:10 PM Post #49 of 73
I've spent the last few days with pico slim sn 0000 (final production model) and my JH13s. It's an AMAZING amplifier. I've been comparing it wtih the ALO Rx and straight from the iphone.

I've been using an oyaide line out dock cable from the iphone and the pico dac when listening from my macbook. First things first, the most important thing I want out of an amp for IEMs is the ability to turn DOWN the volume and still get great sound. That's what the slim does better than any amp I've ever used for IEMs. It rivals the RK50 on the blue hawaii special edition for low volume performance. Dynamics, details, space all present even at low volumes. I'd never believe it was a stepped attenuator if I didn't know better, it's perfectly smooth.

I'll say more later, but again, just wow. Justin, you have a winner here.

Mar 20, 2010 at 6:14 PM Post #50 of 73
Quote:

I've spent the last few days with pico slim sn 0000 (final production model) and my JH13s. It's an AMAZING amplifier. I've been comparing it wtih the ALO Rx and straight from the iphone.

I've been using an oyaide line out dock cable from the iphone and the pico dac when listening from my macbook. First things first, the most important thing I want out of an amp for IEMs is the ability to turn DOWN the volume and still get great sound. That's what the slim does better than any amp I've ever used for IEMs. It rivals the RK50 on the blue hawaii special edition for low volume performance. Dynamics, details, space all present even at low volumes. I'd never believe it was a stepped attenuator if I didn't know better, it's perfectly smooth.

I'll say more later, but again, just wow. Justin, you have a winner here.

How does it compare to the Alo RX in terms of sound quality?

Mar 21, 2010 at 1:43 AM Post #51 of 73
I prefer the Slim, but it's not fair to the Rx, mostly because I can't find a volume level I'm comfortable with with the Rx. I will listen more with the Rx with less sensitive headphones when I get back from my trip. I'm surprised the steps are as big as they are, given it's an entirely controllable option with the digital volume controls.

The slim with the jh13s are a match made in heaven. I'm even considering reacquiring a nano for a great little on the go listening combination that doesn't drain my phone battery.

Mar 21, 2010 at 1:57 AM Post #52 of 73
Quote:

I'm surprised the steps are as big as they are, given it's an entirely controllable option with the digital volume controls.

The slim with the jh13s are a match made in heaven. I'm even considering reacquiring a nano for a great little on the go listening combination that doesn't drain my phone battery.

The steps are large when using the Slim? From what you have said it seems like the Slim volume control is a good match with the JH13?

Mar 21, 2010 at 9:57 AM Post #54 of 73
If the Slim works well with top tier JH13's, will it do as well with lower tiers such as W2's and X10's?

Mar 21, 2010 at 2:16 PM Post #55 of 73
Quote:

Originally Posted by DaeO /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If the Slim works well with top tier JH13's, will it do as well with lower tiers such as W2's and X10's?

I honestly don’t see any reason why not, although I only own one portable amp, I have had the opportunity to try many at meets and shows, although not the other one you are looking at. IMHO the Slim is the best portable amp available today that I have tried with iem’s and you can read my preliminary opinion here along with the pictures I took.

Edit: keep in mind it looks like you might still make the 250 cut.

Mar 21, 2010 at 2:34 PM Post #56 of 73
Quote:

Originally Posted by WalkGood /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I honestly don’t see any reason why not, although I only own one portable amp, I have had the opportunity to try many at meets and shows, although not the other one you are looking at. IMHO the Slim is the best portable amp available today that I have tried with iem’s and you can read my preliminary opinion here along with the pictures I took.

Edit: keep in mind it looks like you might still make the 250 cut.

Thanks for that

Ps - are you stalking me
icon10.gif

Mar 21, 2010 at 2:49 PM Post #57 of 73
Quote:

Originally Posted by DaeO /img/forum/go_quote.gif
... Ps - are you stalking me
icon10.gif

Lol, I’m a member on a various forums and there are some threads that I use the “subscribe to” tool, it certainly helps me follow along with threads that interest me. I try to respond honestly, take it for what you want, Nuff Said.

Mar 21, 2010 at 6:18 PM Post #58 of 73
I compared the Pico Slim, the TTVJ slim , the shadow and the predator at a recent meet. Most felt the two "slims" were better than the Shadow, I certainly did. In comparison of the TTVJ slim and the Pico slim, I felt the TTVJ had a slight edge in clarity and airiness, and was slightly less veiled than the Pico slim. Also, the TTVJ had a better form factor to match my iPod classic. That being said, some Head-fiers at the meet (Boston March 6) liked the Pico slim slightly more especially for its high and mid range. Take a look at the meet impressions. I have not heard the ALORx and would like to compare one day, but I have stayed away form it due to the RF interference and problems with slight hiss that others have mentioned. The volume control on the TTVJ is great and has a color coded diode that is a visual cue tot eh volume. The volume control on the Pico Slim is also very good as mentioned above. I think you won't go wrong with it, but try and get to a meet to hear it if you can.

Mar 21, 2010 at 10:40 PM Post #60 of 73
Quote:

Originally Posted by LeeMark /img/forum/go_quote.gif
liked the Pico slim slightly more especially for its high and mid range.

Do we think the bass is lacking if the mids and highs are so good? i like my bass thick
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back