wanted: Pico Slim review
Feb 24, 2010 at 3:43 PM Post #31 of 73
Quote:

Originally Posted by vpivinylspinner /img/forum/go_quote.gif
A few Pics of the Prototype.

Pico2.jpg

How would you rate the RX compared to the Pico Slim?

Feb 24, 2010 at 6:10 PM Post #32 of 73
I like the sound of the Rx but its largest shortcoming (huge amounts of RF interference in NYC) are not present at all on the Slim. This is the most important test for me in listening to the prototype as the Rx whistles and squeals and makes every other noise randomly when walking the streets of NYC which got really annoying. Maybe something is wrong with mine?

The Rx, sitting on a desktop, I actually like and will keep it for this reason and use the Slim as my daily amp due to lack of interference, better overall sound and much less weight.

Feb 24, 2010 at 6:38 PM Post #33 of 73
^ sounds like the Rx case does not have RF filtering/shielding.

Feb 27, 2010 at 6:49 AM Post #34 of 73
Quote:

Originally Posted by bcwang /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm interested in knowing if it's enough of an amp to drive all grados to their full potential, along with the shure srh840, and maybe even sound good with the k701. I know it's a portable amp, but some full size headphones are pretty efficient so potentially could be driven very well.

Im interested in knowing this too. Anybody?

Feb 27, 2010 at 6:51 AM Post #35 of 73
Quote:

Originally Posted by oyjandrew /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Im interested in knowing this too. Anybody?

I will say the Grado's are very easily drives, most of them infact don't even need an amp

Feb 28, 2010 at 3:26 AM Post #36 of 73
Quote:

Originally Posted by pfillion /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So I presume that the Slim is great with the JH13s ?
wink.gif

I've had a chance to listen to the slim with my jh13s a few times now, and most recently had it for a few days to try it out. It's a great jh13 amp. As I'd mentioned in posts before, one of the main reasons I chose the slim as my jh13 amp is the volume control, and how it improves sound quality at very low volumes with perfect channel balance. As I often need/want to listen at low volumes, I've yet hear any amp that can bring out the clarity at nearly inaudible levels.

When I had it here at home, I kept thinking I need to do some critical listening, compare with and without, etc., but I ended up just enjoying the music, trying out this song and that one, too much to do any of that.

As far as hiss goes, there's none. If you've got no music playing, and you turn the volume all the way up, you'll hear that fuzzy sound, but seriously, if you're going to max out the volume while playing music, you deserve whatever you get....hopefully some hearing damage for your stupidity.

There's a feature on the prototype that I'm not sure Justin is keeping on the final slim. If turn the power switch off when the volume is turned up, and turn it back on again, it will automatically start out low and then increase up to where you had the volume set. It takes a few seconds, if you have it set at mid-level listening volume, with iems. I tried it out with Grado 225s, and takes a bit longer.

After having it here for a few days, I'm eager to get the final product.

Mar 1, 2010 at 12:48 AM Post #38 of 73
Quote:

Originally Posted by pfillion /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks for sharing your impressions boomana.

+1 though im sure we'd all love to hear more.

so from what has been said, the slim doesn't colour the sound at all? totally neutral? although im certainly not a neutral person im simply getting the slim to make the most of my JH16's. I really want that "full" sound that many say happens when you go from un-amped to amped when using JH13's. Gotta make the most out of my investment and the tiny form factor of the slim is very important too me.

ive never had a proper amp before (or customs) so im just hoping i'll be able to tell the difference.

Mar 1, 2010 at 2:11 AM Post #39 of 73
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jalo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
... I think I am satisfied with the description of the hissing issues with the above posts. However, I am still surprise to hear that the slim (according to your previous post on this thread) did not clearly best the regular pico by a clear margin. ... ... ...

It’s a very good amp, for all I know I will like it better when mine comes. Don’t read too deep into what I wrote about the Slim here as I only had tops 4 or 5 turns with her not passing 15 to 20 minutes a turn and I was trying not to over hype it. On the other hand, I’ve been using the Pico/DAC now for well over a year, can’t count how many hours I have logged on her and I’m sure that my ears have become very accustom to it.

Finally my opinion about what portable amps do has been changing or evolving over time, you can read a post of mine hear if you are interested. Regardless, I ordered the Slim as I like the form factor, all the features without rewriting all that’s already been said and HeadAmp’s build quality is second to none, as you can see that Justin hasn't released it yet till all is just right ...

Edit: BTW the fact that this is my second time waiting in line should tell you something about their quality ...

Mar 1, 2010 at 2:15 AM Post #40 of 73
The fact that it has been delayed again and again is on one hand: frustrating, but Justin is trying to make the best iem amp in the world and with such a long time spent on it, I think he may pull it off. To say that I am really looking forward to it is a stupid understatement.

Mar 1, 2010 at 2:22 AM Post #41 of 73
Quote:

Originally Posted by shigzeo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The fact that it has been delayed again and again is on one hand: frustrating, but Justin is trying to make the best iem amp in the world and with such a long time spent on it, I think he may pull it off. To say that I am really looking forward to it is a stupid understatement.

AFAIK from last pm he sent, we should be getting payment request emails this week ...

Mar 1, 2010 at 2:33 AM Post #43 of 73
Quote:

Originally Posted by WalkGood /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It’s a very good amp, for all I know I will like it better when mine comes. Don’t read too deep into what I wrote about the Slim here as I only had tops 4 or 5 turns with her not passing 15 to 20 minutes a turn and I was trying not to over hype it. On the other hand, I’ve been using the Pico/DAC now for well over a year, can’t count how many hours I have logged on her and I’m sure that my ears have become very accustom to it.

Finally my opinion about what portable amps do has been changing or evolving over time, you can read a post of mine hear if you are interested. Regardless, I ordered the Slim as I like the form factor, all the features without rewriting all that’s already been said and HeadAmp’s build quality is second to none, as you can see that Justin hasn't released it yet till all is just right ...

Thanks so much for the feedback. Like you, I was using the Mustang when the Shadow came out. I tried at a meet and didn't find too much difference between the two. Some people gave a slight advantage to the Shadow which may or may not be there. But even if it is there, the difference is so slight that I do not care to chase after every new version that come out. That is why when you posted your impression on the Slim, I was concern a little bit that the difference with the regular pico is not big enough. But I totally agree with you that the form factor of the slim is awesome. I am just a sucker to the external beauty of the slim along with the newer technology, I'm just hoping the sq will turn out exceed my expectation.

Thanks also to the redirection of your thoughts on portable amps. I agree with most of what you said there.

Mar 5, 2010 at 5:25 AM Post #45 of 73
I spent a couple of days with the Slim. Great little amp. I used it with my JH13s. Lots of detail and lots of punch. Good bass, no bloat. If I could dial up the bass just a tiny bit, I would. But it's really a refined amp.

And the digital volume control with the regular knob is simply outstanding. It's absolutely awesome how much control you have over it.

Disclosures: This was a loaner sent out by HeadAmp. I have also ordered a Pico Slim. I did not pay for, nor did I keep the loaner, and at no time did HeadAmp attempt to influence my impressions.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back