Want headphones for electronic music $250-$300 price range
Oct 3, 2012 at 9:47 PM Post #61 of 68
Beyerdynamic DT 880
Beyerdynamic DT 990
Beyerdynamic Pro 990
Beyerdynamic DT 770

What is the difference between them all, what is the most recommended regardless of cost? It's interesting to see them almost reach the mid bass level of the Pro 900...

Oct 3, 2012 at 10:00 PM Post #62 of 68
Quote:
Beyerdynamic DT 880
Beyerdynamic DT 990
Beyerdynamic Pro 990
Beyerdynamic DT 770

What is the difference between them all, what is the most recommended regardless of cost? It's interesting to see them almost reach the mid bass level of the Pro 900...

your dang right it is interesting, and once again they are all different, I don't know about the dt 770, but the 880 is a very Flat an smooth Frq as u saw, and the dt 990 is a mid bass heavy can, the 250 0hm 990 is $180 dollars, the 600 Ohm [regradless of the model] r usually around $350+ also the DT 990 600's apprently r only in Premium and are not as easy to find as the dt 880 600 ohms

but yea they are all different, I'm going to be saving up for the dt 990 and xb1000 here shortly, hopefully within 2 months I'll have em both :3

Oct 4, 2012 at 6:39 AM Post #63 of 68
For the love of Batman, USE UNSMOOTHED GRAPHS.
Ultrasone Pro 900 is pretty horrible. It's apparent even without CSDs.
All these tiny dips are evidence of massive comb filtering. S-Logic at work.

Now the extra midbass in DT990 is not exactly nice to have (I did say they're warmer), but this is trivial to equalize out if you want. It's not a huge boost regardless.
Calling it mid-bass heavy is a bad lie. They do not approach the levels of heavy by any stretch of that word. This is not a basshead headphone.

Also, since when has the frequency response became the be all, end all? Take a peek at harmonic distortion too. This is where DT990 is a major improvement over DT880. Now this is not possible to correct with equalization.

CSDs are also out there, I'm done with posting graphs for now.

Oct 4, 2012 at 7:51 AM Post #64 of 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by AstralStorm /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Also, since when has the frequency response became the be all, end all? Take a peek at harmonic distortion too. This is where DT990 is a major improvement over DT880. Now this is not possible to correct with equalization.

I am not sure you can read too much into those graphs, since the differences may simply result from random manufacturing variations, rather than the DT990 being consistently better. If you also compare the other impedance versions, they all distort less than the DT880-600, so it might just have been a random "bad" pair, or some other unknown problem. It is also odd that only the DT880-600 has a lot of noise on the graph.

Oct 4, 2012 at 7:56 AM Post #65 of 68
No freq graphs are not the end all but they are a good indication of what you can expect, once you have a grasp over them, like for example I always wondered why my XB700s can't do mid bass [the graph makes that pretty obvious as to why] and once again Astral you really know ur stuff man :3 un smoothed graphs! Will do And with reagard to the dt 990 being a "bass can" all of us at the Bass Head thread agree, along with many others that it's really a Bass heavy can, and maybe be heavy we mean that under sufficent ampage it the bass has the desired impact that we all want for a EDM can, Yar that THD doesn't look to good e.e, but then again have the Xb 700, the dt 880 which arrive today and I'm getting the dt 990 and HE 500 at some point and with that logic why does the HE 500 have the degree of TDH it has despite being one of a really highly recommended can? http://graphs.headphone.com/graphCompare.php?graphType=1&graphID[]=1193&graphID[]=723&graphID[]=2141&graphID[]=3241 [at a crummypc can post pics correctly]

Oct 4, 2012 at 8:35 AM Post #66 of 68
Eat
I am not sure you can read too much into those graphs, since the differences may simply result from random manufacturing variations, rather than the DT990 being consistently better. If you also compare the other impedance versions, they all distort less than the DT880-600, so it might just have been a random "bad" pair, or some other unknown problem. It is also odd that only the DT880-600 has a lot of noise on the graph.

S
Indeed gralhz for hifiman hm.601 r not to.pretty but yet despite that it s ounds great

Oct 4, 2012 at 8:55 AM Post #67 of 68
Quote:

I've considered that possibility. Fortunately, they've measured 250 and 32 Ohm versions too. Suprisingly, only 32 Ohm one doesn't show this issue.
It also matches the graininess I've heard when I've auditioned them.

Quote:
Yar that THD doesn't look to good e.e, but then again have the Xb 700, the dt 880 which arrive today and I'm getting the dt 990 and HE 500 at some point and with that logic why does the HE 500 have the degree of TDH it has despite being one of a really highly recommended can?

HE-500 is not the best at THD, but it's reasonably low. It has an extended harmonics pattern, but it seemed benign to me when I had a cursory listen. I might buy those some day. Where it excels is at lack of ringing, much like DT990 - and it has somewhat smoother frequency response with less extra brightness. (if you think DT990 is too bright, that is) HE-500 sounds very closely to DT880 without having as much distortion.
HE 400 had a nicer harmonic "sloped" pattern, but the distortion is more audible in general (esp. "warm" 2nd harmonic) and it does have a tiny bit of ringing at 4kHz.
Sony XB700 has excellent harmonic behavior, but it does not matter - it has lots of ringing and not what I'd consider nice and smooth frequency response.

Oct 4, 2012 at 9:16 AM Post #68 of 68
I've considered that possibility. Fortunately, they've measured 250 and 32 Ohm versions too. Suprisingly, only 32 Ohm one doesn't show this issue.
It also matches the graininess I've heard when I've auditioned them.

Well,mine come in today so we shall c

Users who are viewing this thread

Back