Want headphones for electronic music $250-$300 price range
Sep 26, 2012 at 6:43 PM Post #31 of 68
Sep 27, 2012 at 12:24 AM Post #32 of 68
The day has arrived, I now have the Pro 900! No amp, no burn-in...so take anything i say as less then....ideal. These are honest impressions and my general thought stream as my day progressed with these..

So when i first put them on my head, clicking around in windows sounded *crispy* and new...interesting. I started with carbon based lifeforms - frog to eaaase in the headphones at low volume...Quite excited, subduing the anticipation...hmmm nice I am hearing details i have never heard in this song before, mostly in the background. It's pleasent...my other headphones seem to have just smeared eveything togeather without speparation or something...errr moving on to a faster track now...MITIS - Born...crispy...hmmm where did the mid's go? *Adjusts headphones* ah there it is! not recessed at all! excellent. Just move the headphones back and upward so the pads are resting on your ear lobes...

I even made a pic cause i was so impressed with the difference..

There now where was I....okay so bass...nice, i am satisfied. Subass seems deeper in some tracks compared to my Fatality headset...midbass is similar to fatality headset but ALOT cleaner, refined, much less muddy and bloated and with a sharp kick! ah...The highs are crispy...hmmm female vocals have been saved! They sound great...excellent...Love EDM with females..love them females. Okay i am hearing detail in tracks i never heard before, possibly because of the boosted highs. The sibilance is not bothering me one bit...it only seems to come out in certain tracks...hard to notice unless you switch headphones...it becomes apparent then but there just seems to be so much detail in those crispy highs. Played some games...BF3 is great...all those explosions all the hearty bass...and combined with the crispy highs...awesome detail and average positioning...better then the fatality headset. Ummm lets play Black Mesa SOURCE! hell yeah....whoa! the submachine gun makes my ears bleed...thats where the sibilance shows its head i guess. Back to playing music...LOUDER LOUDER HEHEHE wow...these are fun cans...the detailed highs combined with the clean bass and average mids (Much better and more forward then the fatality headset)...crispy crispy crispy clean fun for EDM!

How did i do? I tired to use relevant terms...I heard how polarizing the Pro 900's were but i knew i wanted to tame these cans and own something unique...The high highs and the low lows...they just sounded like the perfect combination for EDM when i was doing my research.

Back to the music.!

Sep 27, 2012 at 1:12 AM Post #33 of 68
^ Enjoy your pro 900's!

Sep 27, 2012 at 2:18 AM Post #34 of 68
So much to look forward to on this headphone adventure....getting my ears cleaned tommorow +1, after burn in +1....and adding an amp to the mix +1...

That bass..lovely bass...I am noticing it more and more, to early to say anything concrete about it. some tracks really surprised me I am noticing bass where there was none before... some songs did not surprise me at all. must resist listening to them loud..they want you to go loud. I am loving this V shape frequency response. BASS and FEMALE vocals *high five*

Sep 27, 2012 at 2:42 AM Post #35 of 68
Re-posting two posts above in the ultrasone pro 900 appreciation thread and continuing my discussion there...i think the diagram would be helpfull to fellow ultrasone users.

Sep 27, 2012 at 11:04 AM Post #36 of 68
Ouch, Ultrasones PRO. The sound of defeat. Definitely refined is not an adjective I'd use to describe them. These headphones are very... weird.

They have large numbers of resonant spikes and dips, simulating reverberation comb filtering in that way, however actual nice sounding rooms don't have that many deep spikes. Also a lot of harmonic distortion.

They're also highly sensitive with regards to positioning as shown in their post. The only usable position for me was with the headphone totally pushed back - however they tended to fall off my head. (Others were horrible balance-wise)

I prefer to have my comb filtering real (as in convolution reverb) and not simulated.

Sep 27, 2012 at 12:07 PM Post #37 of 68
^ That's why planar magnetics are the way to go for electronica.

Sep 27, 2012 at 12:57 PM Post #38 of 68
Quote:
Ouch, Ultrasones PRO. The sound of defeat. Definitely refined is not an adjective I'd use to describe them. These headphones are very... weird.

They have large numbers of resonant spikes and dips, simulating reverberation comb filtering in that way, however actual nice sounding rooms don't have that many deep spikes. Also a lot of harmonic distortion.

They're also highly sensitive with regards to positioning as shown in their post. The only usable position for me was with the headphone totally pushed back - however they tended to fall off my head. (Others were horrible balance-wise)

I prefer to have my comb filtering real (as in convolution reverb) and not simulated.

I can agree they are polarizing headphones...I have read about people either over the top LOVING them...or completely HATING them...The thing that struck me with the Pro 900 is that around head-fi they are regarded as having legendary bass and the king of EDM (Mostly for the V shaped frequency response). This makes the can very limited to EDM but that's why i bought them...cause that's all i listen too. I remain skeptic and wont over-hype something just because i spilled money into it...it is what it is.

What it is hmmm...still trying to figure out if i love them or hate em, leaning towards love....after burn in and amping I should know!

Sep 27, 2012 at 4:05 PM Post #39 of 68
Quote:

... Xb1000 seems the way to go... if Astrals cMoy suggestion proves to be epically EPIC then I might ditch the Pro 900 [again] I'm not wanting to hear that you have to adjust the driver to get mid bass...the Xb Series likes to Shove all bass if ur face regardless of where... adda  70mm driver and well you can't escape it! Orded my Dt 880 and cMoy today, w8ing on my DAP guy to reply then I'll get that :3 Oct 4 is then things should be coming in! 

Sep 27, 2012 at 7:42 PM Post #40 of 68
Quote:

I can agree they are polarizing headphones...I have read about people either over the top LOVING them...or completely HATING them...The thing that struck me with the Pro 900 is that around head-fi they are regarded as having legendary bass and the king of EDM (Mostly for the V shaped frequency response). This makes the can very limited to EDM but that's why i bought them...cause that's all i listen too. I remain skeptic and wont over-hype something just because i spilled money into it...it is what it is.

What it is hmmm...still trying to figure out if i love them or hate em, leaning towards love....after burn in and amping I should know!

The Pro 900's are definitely not the king of EDM IMO. The Denon's are definitely in the mix at that price range for the top EDM can. I have also heard great things about HE-400. My HE-500 pretty much destroyed both my Denon's and Pro 900 for EDM, it wasn't even close. I haven't heard LCD-2 or LCD-3 yet, but they are supposed to be on top for EDM. Check out Audeze's Ambassador List.

Also, I really don't understand why the V shaped signature is supposed to be "fun" for EDM. Over bloated bass, poor transient performance, deprived mids, shrilling sibilant highs doesn't equate to "fun" for EDM for me or in fact any other genre. Going from Pro 900 or D2000 to HE-500, the only thing that's gone is my ringing ears and some impact, but the rest is just in another league - transients (water plots), imaging, layering, soundstage performance and dimensions, imaging, airyness. Maybe it's just me... 

Sep 27, 2012 at 8:17 PM Post #41 of 68
Quote:

The Pro 900's are definitely not the king of EDM IMO. The Denon's are definitely in the mix at that price range for the top EDM can. I have also heard great things about HE-400. My HE-500 pretty much destroyed both my Denon's and Pro 900 for EDM, it wasn't even close. I haven't heard LCD-2 or LCD-3 yet, but they are supposed to be on top for EDM. Check out Audeze's Ambassador List.

Also, I really don't understand why the V shaped signature is supposed to be "fun" for EDM. Over bloated bass, poor transient performance, deprived mids, shrilling sibilant highs doesn't equate to "fun" for EDM for me or in fact any other genre. Going from Pro 900 or D2000 to HE-500, the only thing that's gone is my ringing ears and some impact, but the rest is just in another league - transients (water plots), imaging, layering, soundstage performance and dimensions, imaging, airyness. Maybe it's just me... 

Yea most defiantly going with an Orthodynamic, like the HE-500 [and maybe HE-400] And the Azudes [the frequancy response on them is amazing... just looking at it is like OMG]

And I've heard good things about the Denon 7k, in fact there's a fellow roaming around here who enjoys his D7k's and Xb1000 [the Xb1000's being the travelers pair] so that gives me some confidance in them, still though Pro 900 seems WAY to... Fickle... you don't hear of people having any issues with Xb700s other than the obvious lack of mids... they are pretty much what you expect to get, where as the Pro 900 seems to have some suprises you'll LOVE or hate... I'd rather go Xb1000 [which is $60 cheaper] and have my expectations met without TO many suprises, in fact the reviews for the XB700 where pretty consistent and accurate! So you know :3

And of course i've yet to see how the DT 880's will do with Mid Bass Music like DnB and other mid Bass EDM, also on that note the XB's have wonderful Dub Step presentation :D [obviously] and that's WITH my crappy Mid Bass E6... when I hit them with a Sub Focused cMoy... I'm afraid I might over drive them <3 

So yea... I might get the HE-500 by next year or so! 

Sep 27, 2012 at 8:37 PM Post #42 of 68
Quote:

King of EDM...probably a bit subjective i know, I am just a lurker here :) those headphones you listed are...$700 and $1000 respectively... out of my league...It leaves me with choosing the Pro 900 over the D2000 because of it's fast transient response, that mid bass slam and the forward highs...It all sounded very fun from what i have read. I know nothing beats a planar magnetic driver in transient response so i understand why you would say that.

Regardless, I am really warming up to the Pro 900's...and i am beginning to understand why they posses such an allure to some people...

Sep 27, 2012 at 8:56 PM Post #43 of 68
Quote:
Yea most defiantly going with an Orthodynamic, like the HE-500 [and maybe HE-400] And the Azudes [the frequancy response on them is amazing... just looking at it is like OMG]

And I've heard good things about the Denon 7k, in fact there's a fellow roaming around here who enjoys his D7k's and Xb1000 [the Xb1000's being the travelers pair] so that gives me some confidance in them, still though Pro 900 seems WAY to... Fickle... you don't hear of people having any issues with Xb700s other than the obvious lack of mids... they are pretty much what you expect to get, where as the Pro 900 seems to have some suprises you'll LOVE or hate... I'd rather go Xb1000 [which is $60 cheaper] and have my expectations met without TO many suprises, in fact the reviews for the XB700 where pretty consistent and accurate! So you know :3

And of course i've yet to see how the DT 880's will do with Mid Bass Music like DnB and other mid Bass EDM, also on that note the XB's have wonderful Dub Step presentation :D [obviously] and that's WITH my crappy Mid Bass E6... when I hit them with a Sub Focused cMoy... I'm afraid I might over drive them <3 

So yea... I might get the HE-500 by next year or so! 

If you are considering the XB series...before you do...just make sure you read this thread :) I agree with you the Pro 900's are fickle...but just read this before you make up your mind.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/626174/comparison-ultrasone-pro-900-vs-sony-xb1000-bass-faceoff

It was a recent thread.

Sep 27, 2012 at 9:00 PM Post #44 of 68
Quote:

Yep. There was a research study done which shows that the S Logic technology simply does not work properly for some ear shapes and results in bad frequency response aberrations. So let 'em burn in for 150 hours and you'll know if Ultrasone "fits" you well.

Sep 27, 2012 at 9:32 PM Post #45 of 68
I would get the Ultrasone Pro 900 over any of the Sony XB series...one of my previous roommate used to have them all (in successive upgrades). So I've listened to them a lot, the bass thump and extension (depending on the model) is the only thing good about them. They're okay, but nothing special. I would pick the Pro 900 in an instant over any of the Sony XB models. 

Also, the S-Logic is somewhat useful. It's essentially angled drivers which hit the outer ear and thus enter your ears somewhat more naturally. Hitting the targeted regions results in clearer auditory sensations and thus the auditory perception is better. Well that's what they say...but the main thing is that it's a Closed and Sealed headphone. This is where I prefer the D2000 better. The soundstage is definitely better on the D2000 since it's not sealed. It's closed, but not sealed - hence the leakage. Overall, the Denon's unsealed cups gives better performance than S-Logic in that regard. Also now days a lot of headphones have started angling their drivers, so I don't really pay attention to S-Logic or whatever they want to call it. You just can't fake acoustic physics.

Also OP, I highly recommend you trying the HE-400. They would be in your budget. You can find them used as well for quite cheap on the forums here. I got my HE-500 around the $500 mark. So anything is possible. One of the reason I stay away from the pro 900 now is because of the fatigue and loss of hearing. Some might not find them shrill, but your ears still take a toll - your brain just adjusts, but the hearing once gone won't come back. Another place where D2000 does well. Always turn down the volume to the lowest with the pro 900s - just trying to save your ears :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back