100+ Head-Fier
I currently own:

Sennheiser HD 448 ($100)
Sennheiser HD 497 ($60)
Creative Fatal1ty Gaming Headset ($40)

Want to buy:

$250-$300 price range
For electronic music focus on bass
For home use connected to computer with no amp an no intent on buying one just yet.
(Bought a bithead for my HD 497 a long time ago, big let down, difference was negligable so i sold it)

The Fatal1ty headset is a bit of an enigma for listening to liquid DnB which is my favorite gerne, if i am impressed by the bass on a poor quality headset...i wonder what i am missing on a pair of quailty bass-cans :O!. The Sennheiser's seem to lack quite a bit of bass which makes listening to electronic music in general very underwhelming. Was really disapointed after buying the HD 448 as it was listed as "Top 10 headphones" on headroom. It was my failing as i should have done more research on the HD 448's extreme lack of bass. The headphone is since missing from that list...

To get an idea of what i like to listen too:

These songs sounds wonderfull, full, and warm on my Fatal1ty headset but distant and weak on both the Sennheiser's.

And i DO love the bass alot, I sometimes like to kick it up a notch with heavy dubstep tracks, yes roll your eyes...but i like it :D :

Just love how the morphing growling bass sounds on this track

Just love the energy and bassline in this track.

I understand Denon AH-D2000 would be a good choice for this....well it would @ $200 but the price has jumped to around $380 on amazon :O

I am considering other alternatives now! Still doing research. Any suggestions to aid in my quest?

Sep 16, 2012 at 3:46 PM Post #3 of 68
Quality bass that doesn't get in the way of the rest of the spectrum? Ultrasone is the way to go. The HFI-580 is quite good for its asking price and, like cel4145 said, it already sounds good unamped. The HFI-780 isn't as bass emphasized but is more balanced, and if you manage to get a good deal, then you should get the Pro 900 and be done with it :)

However, while all those headphones do sound ok out of the box, they do benefit from additional amping, and even an entry amp (not FiiO E5/E6 level, at least PA2V2 or FiiO E11) will make them improve quite a bit.

Sep 16, 2012 at 4:05 PM Post #4 of 68
Yes i have heard of the HFI-580 but i think im leaning towards something more expensive. If i could find some cheaper D2000's mabye around $250 I would be sold...But I don't know where to look without buying used...thanks for the the Ultrasone PRO 900 recommendation...will look into it. They look on par with the D2000's

What was the headphone that replaced the D2000's now that they are discontinued?

Sep 16, 2012 at 4:09 PM Post #5 of 68
I just got some beyerdynamic DT880s but I read a lot about the DT770s being heavier on the bass than the DT880s. If you like a clean sound with decent bass, maybe look into those.

Sep 16, 2012 at 4:09 PM Post #6 of 68
IIRC, the D600 replaces the D2000 model.

Keep in mind the Pro 900 are often compared to the D5000, even trading blows with the D7000. While the D7000 is a superior set on overall, it doesn't have the same bass presence the Pro 900 have, and costs quite more.

Put simply, the D2000 are too slow for quality EDM listening, for that you ought to get something like the Ultrasone Pro 900 or the Pro 750 if you can't stretch your budget enough.

Sep 16, 2012 at 4:54 PM Post #7 of 68
Quote:
Yes i have heard of the HFI-580 but i think im leaning towards something more expensive. If i could find some cheaper D2000's mabye around $250 I would be sold...But I don't know where to look without buying used...thanks for the the Ultrasone PRO 900 recommendation...will look into it. They look on par with the D2000's

What was the headphone that replaced the D2000's now that they are discontinued?

Ignore the cost of headphones, personally I found the D2000s to sound like a $50 headphone at best. If you want lots of bass look at the $50 Sony XB500, unbeatable with dubstep. The JVC-RX700 is a nice warm allrounder at $30, modded I prefer it to the D2000. You can't go wrong with an Ultrasone when it comes to electronica, I really enjoyed the HFI-780 and it powered just fine without an amp. The HFI-580 have extra bass in comparison to the 780s but overall not as clean sounding.

Sep 16, 2012 at 5:42 PM Post #8 of 68
Quote:

I really enjoyed the HFI-780 and it powered just fine without an amp. The HFI-580 have extra bass in comparison to the 780s but overall not as clean sounding.

I agree. I demoed the 580s, and then went with the 780s because I wanted a little more balanced sound and a little more refinement. Still, when the bass kicks in, you can definitely tell it's there 
smile.gif

Sep 16, 2012 at 10:41 PM Post #9 of 68
Would you guys recommend the same types of headphones for Psychill or just chill? Examples:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X3dwBtqNpWo

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3mAkgMtOyRs

This is my favorite genre, although I still love other music. I'd love high-end headphones that appeal to that sound, as well as a more pop-esque trippy sound like ATB, David Guetta, etc. And also stuff like this (which is similar to OP's first song)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gT5E6bva0f8

Sep 17, 2012 at 12:27 AM Post #10 of 68
Quote:
Would you guys recommend the same types of headphones for Psychill or just chill? Examples:

Some headphones promote a different mood. For mellower music, I prefer my ATH-A900Xs over the HFI-780s. The 780s invite engagement, involvement directly with the music; the music demands my attention and active participation. The A900Xs allow me to lose myself within the music in a more relaxing way, and I prefer them for when I just want music in the background. 

Sep 17, 2012 at 4:00 AM Post #11 of 68
Quote:
IIRC, the D600 replaces the D2000 model.

Keep in mind the Pro 900 are often compared to the D5000, even trading blows with the D7000. While the D7000 is a superior set on overall, it doesn't have the same bass presence the Pro 900 have, and costs quite more.

Put simply, the D2000 are too slow for quality EDM listening, for that you ought to get something like the Ultrasone Pro 900 or the Pro 750 if you can't stretch your budget enough.

This, this seems like good advice, The Ultrasone Pro 900 entrigues me greatly now. Can anyone else confirm this? How good is this can unamped? and dont exaggerate :) because my ears are not tuned to hear minor differences *just yet* I am hoping i could get by for awhile without an amp.

Quote:
Ignore the cost of headphones, personally I found the D2000s to sound like a $50 headphone at best. If you want lots of bass look at the $50 Sony XB500, unbeatable with dubstep. The JVC-RX700 is a nice warm allrounder at $30, modded I prefer it to the D2000. You can't go wrong with an Ultrasone when it comes to electronica, I really enjoyed the HFI-780 and it powered just fine without an amp. The HFI-580 have extra bass in comparison to the 780s but overall not as clean sounding.

Really? I mean i am at a point were i am willing to spend quality money for quality headphones? can anyone confirm?

Quote:

This is my favorite genre, although I still love other music. I'd love high-end headphones that appeal to that sound, as well as a more pop-esque trippy sound like ATB, David Guetta, etc. And also stuff like this (which is similar to OP's first song)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gT5E6bva0f8

Your track selection makes me smile :)

Carbon based life forms, my favorite track by them:

Most of the time i can't focus on stuff thats too chill...but this is just right...

Sep 18, 2012 at 4:07 AM Post #12 of 68
Ordered the Ultrasone Pro 900!... crazy. crazy. excited.

Now what amp? If i even need one, im hearing very conflicting reports about the difference between unamped and amped Ultrasone Pro 900's...

Sep 18, 2012 at 2:25 PM Post #13 of 68
Quote:
Ordered the Ultrasone Pro 900!... crazy. crazy. excited.

Now what amp? If i even need one, im hearing very conflicting reports about the difference between unamped and amped Ultrasone Pro 900's...

Generally the Ultrasone PRO series are to be used with amps as they have heavier drivers, the HFI series are much easier to power with the exception of the open series. I would suggest a solid-state amp/dac combo like a TIANYUN ZERO (which I use) or something from the Audio GD line.

Sep 18, 2012 at 3:54 PM Post #14 of 68
Quote:

Generally the Ultrasone PRO series are to be used with amps as they have heavier drivers, the HFI series are much easier to power with the exception of the open series. I would suggest a solid-state amp/dac combo like a TIANYUN ZERO (which I use) or something from the Audio GD line.

How about the FiiO E10?

I have heard good stuff about the FiiO's and i dont need the portability of the E11 because it will be a dedicated pc amp...and it's cheap!

Sep 18, 2012 at 4:09 PM Post #15 of 68
Quote:
How about the FiiO E10?

I have heard good stuff about the FiiO's and i dont need the portability of the E11 because it will be a dedicated pc amp...and it's cheap!

An amp is not necessarily but I recommend the E10 for strictly desktop use, and a E17 if you ever plan on using these portable. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back