Want headphones for electronic music $250-$300 price range
Sep 20, 2012 at 5:18 AM Post #17 of 68
Quote:
Ordered the Ultrasone Pro 900!... crazy. crazy. excited.

Now what amp? If i even need one, im hearing very conflicting reports about the difference between unamped and amped Ultrasone Pro 900's...

ebay cmoy. I have an ultimate cmoy and really enjoyed the results. Think they're a better fit than Fiio if you are on a budget.

Sep 20, 2012 at 1:53 PM Post #18 of 68
Quote:
 ebay cmoy. I have an ultimate cmoy and really enjoyed the results. Think they're a better fit than Fiio if you are on a budget.

Yea that's what I;ve heard, now the Fiio E11 is cheaper than the Cmoy

Sep 25, 2012 at 2:44 PM Post #19 of 68
FiiO E11 is a decent cheap amp with a few pretty bad flaws:
1) It cannot be used while it's charging - connected via USB
2) Grabs RF noise like it's paid for it
3) Relatively low power, so I wouldn't use it with e.g. Sennheiser HD 650, Hifiman HE-400 or Beyerdynamic DT 880-250
4) Relatively short battery life: ~10h
5) Bad clipping behavior with low impedance low sensitivity headphones
6) Gets unstable with capacitive load and generates subsonic distortion from high frequencies. This is barely audible in most music, sounds like extra grain. Mostly audible with balanced armature IEMs.

E17 is a better pick:
1) Far stronger, can drive most of the above (except the Hifimans)
2) It's insensitive to RF
3) Can be used while charging both as a DAC and as a standalone amp
4) Has an even shorter battery life: ~8h

Cmoys are rather ill suited for low impedance cans - they tend to have relatively high output impedance and low current.
Some CMoys don't have high output impedance - those that use inherently stable opamps such as NJM5532 or JRC4556.
(The latter is coincidentally the strongest opamp known to me with regards to current handling, so a great pick for the CMoy. Other opamps have to be put multiple times in parallel.)

Sep 25, 2012 at 5:19 PM Post #20 of 68
Quote:
FiiO E11 is a decent cheap amp with a few pretty bad flaws:
1) It cannot be used while it's charging - connected via USB
2) Grabs RF noise like it's paid for it
3) Relatively low power, so I wouldn't use it with e.g. Sennheiser HD 650, Hifiman HE-400 or Beyerdynamic DT 880-250
4) Relatively short battery life: ~10h
5) Bad clipping behavior with low impedance low sensitivity headphones
6) Gets unstable with capacitive load and generates subsonic distortion from high frequencies. This is barely audible in most music, sounds like extra grain. Mostly audible with balanced armature IEMs.

E17 is a better pick:
1) Far stronger, can drive most of the above (except the Hifimans)
2) It's insensitive to RF
3) Can be used while charging both as a DAC and as a standalone amp
4) Has an even shorter battery life: ~8h

Cmoys are rather ill suited for low impedance cans - they tend to have relatively high output impedance and low current.
Some CMoys don't have high output impedance - those that use inherently stable opamps such as NJM5532 or JRC4556.
(The latter is coincidentally the strongest opamp known to me with regards to current handling, so a great pick for the CMoy. Other opamps have to be put multiple times in parallel.)

I've been told that a Dt 880 250 can be driven by an E11, although would a cMoy Drive an e11 and if so which one would be the  best to get... 

Also how do you utilize only the Amp in the E17 

Sep 25, 2012 at 5:30 PM Post #21 of 68
Quote:
I've been told that a Dt 880 250 can be driven by an E11, although would a cMoy Drive an e11 and if so which one would be the  best to get... 

Not sure what Astral is blabbering about. The E17 runs off about 15 hours on battery, the CMoy portable amp (I'm assuming the altoid one) I believe has a low output impedance, E11 has more power than the E17 as an amp, etc. 

Not sure why you would only utilize the amp portion of the E17. Then you're just better off getting a E11 or Cmoy, although like someone said, it can be charged thru USB. In that case, might as well invest in a O2 amp. If portability is important, there are other options. 

"Driven" is a term that's just thrown out there carelessly. Virtually any amp can drive even a 600 ohm headphones to ear-splitting volumes. If it's a question of sound quality - whether you're inputting enough voltage/ current - then that's debatable for a variety of reasons which I do not even want to get into. 

Sep 25, 2012 at 5:48 PM Post #22 of 68
I'm vaguely considering the E17 after i get some run time with my Pro 900's. I get to pick the pro 900's up tomorrow so i will post initial first impressions as honestly as possible and in relation to what i have heard from the mid-fi cans i have now. I don't know why...but i always hate when i get tricked by amazon or other sites into buying something right away in fear that i will never get it at the sale price or it will be discontinued. I had a bit of buyers remorse because i did not have enough time to do FULL research of all my options...I HATE when i am pressured into buying first and the researching later...So far I feel confident with this purchase, was a little scared but now after some follow up research into alternatives i am feeling excited again. Considering they are $600 MSRP and i got them for half-off, that they are considered one of the best headphones for EDM and mid bass...I listen to a very limited range of music and i very much love EDM...just EDM, Dubstep, DnB, Liquid, Electro and a bit of house. I very much prefer mid bass impact, slam whatever over the low barely audible subass...as EDM seems to focus on midbass. Bare with me im guessing what midbass is...haha oh boy

For example...this is one of the most intriguing EDM tracks i have ever heard. Incredible in it's clarity and impact in what i am guessing is mid bass department. Skip to 1:18 for what i am talking about. amazing right?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2CiLczNhWK0&feature=autoplay&list=PL4BD29B4EB82C2DC7&lf=plpp&playnext=3

I am very interested in what the pro 900's will do to this song, While i don't particularly like the song itself...i love the extreme clarity of the kicks and bass line.

Sep 25, 2012 at 8:08 PM Post #23 of 68
Quote:
Not sure what Astral is blabbering about. The E17 runs off about 15 hours on battery, the CMoy portable amp (I'm assuming the altoid one) I believe has a low output impedance, E11 has more power than the E17 as an amp, etc. 

Not sure why you would only utilize the amp portion of the E17. Then you're just better off getting a E11 or Cmoy, although like someone said, it can be charged thru USB. In that case, might as well invest in a O2 amp. If portability is important, there are other options. 

"Driven" is a term that's just thrown out there carelessly. Virtually any amp can drive even a 600 ohm headphones to ear-splitting volumes. If it's a question of sound quality - whether you're inputting enough voltage/ current - then that's debatable for a variety of reasons which I do not even want to get into. 

Well I've been told a few times the E17 is better over all than the E11, although the E11 is more powerful. The reason I only want the amp is because I'm using a Hifiman Hm 601, the DAC on that unit is very unique and creates a nice analog sound... if I use the DAC on the e17 then I lose that unique analog warmth that's the HM 601 has, ALTHOUGH I have a Zune HD which would benifit from the DAC and the Amp combo, in addition I'm hoping to get a Cowon in the Future which again could use the DAC... I'll need to do some research on that though... seeing as the e17 is almost 3x as much as the e11 

Sep 25, 2012 at 9:56 PM Post #24 of 68
Quote:

Easy. There's 3.5mm line in plug, and it comes with the cable to plug it in the headphone jack of an mp3 player. Nothing to it. 

However, I can't tell you if the E17 is better than the E11. The main reason I got the E17 was for the DAC to use with my laptop. 

Sep 25, 2012 at 10:44 PM Post #25 of 68
No amp, great bass - I am quite familiar with EDM as well - seems like Denon AH-D2000 / D5000...there's one in sale forum going for cheap. Ultrasone Pro 900 also come to mind, but they need the amp more than the Denon's.

Sep 26, 2012 at 1:38 AM Post #26 of 68
In E17 you just can connect the input to AUX in and select AUX mode with the button. That gives you a standard headphone amplifier.

About other amps that aren't actually CMoy, JDSLabs "cMoyBB" is a good amp with similar circuit layout to FiiO E11, but more powerful and better implemented. (much less RF for example)
Pricewise it's pretty similar to E11. Do pick the stronger rail splitter (2x TLE2426) option if still possible.
Gain 2.5x is usually enough unless you use very high impedance cans - then pick the higher gain option.

It's main drawback is that it's full size - that 9V battery has to fit somewhere.
I also wonder what they do with all the mints...

Sep 26, 2012 at 4:00 AM Post #27 of 68
Quote:
In E17 you just can connect the input to AUX in and select AUX mode with the button. That gives you a standard headphone amplifier.

About other amps that aren't actually CMoy, JDSLabs "cMoyBB" is a good amp with similar circuit layout to FiiO E11, but more powerful and better implemented. (much less RF for example)
Pricewise it's pretty similar to E11. Do pick the stronger rail splitter (2x TLE2426) option if still possible.
Gain 2.5x is usually enough unless you use very high impedance cans - then pick the higher gain option.

It's main drawback is that it's full size - that 9V battery has to fit somewhere.
I also wonder what they do with all the mints...

Lol they probably just request the production of the outer cover from the manufacturers... the mints would be a bother to take out. 

The E11 has a big advantage over the E17 in terms of price, and can be charged. The CMoy BB is a nice amp - looks good too - but the battery is a pain to replace. 

Sep 26, 2012 at 1:08 PM Post #28 of 68
Quote:
Lol they probably just request the production of the outer cover from the manufacturers... the mints would be a bother to take out. 

The E11 has a big advantage over the E17 in terms of price, and can be charged. The CMoy BB is a nice amp - looks good too - but the battery is a pain to replace. 

I'm going with cMoy 2x 9v Rechargeable, it seems good thankfully I have a friend who was an electronics major so he can help me with any battery replacements... the biggest Issue I have though is rechargeables die over time, most likey due to overchargeing... so I'll have to keep a close eye on my charges... but I'm going the with cMoy 2x, why because more power makes it sound better <3 got that right out of the cMoy pdf manual xD, plus it's different

Sep 26, 2012 at 2:47 PM Post #29 of 68
Quote:
I'm going with cMoy 2x 9v Rechargeable, it seems good thankfully I have a friend who was an electronics major so he can help me with any battery replacements... the biggest Issue I have though is rechargeables die over time, most likey due to overchargeing... so I'll have to keep a close eye on my charges... but I'm going the with cMoy 2x, why because more power makes it sound better <3 got that right out of the cMoy pdf manual xD, plus it's different

mm good luck. The rechargeable version is definitely worth it. 

Sep 26, 2012 at 2:51 PM Post #30 of 68
i use my Frankenzones through a E9  for everything  they really shine on this track the bass kick when it comes in goes SO low.  the 900's will love this track.  (this is the highest quality version i could find. ignore the video if you have to.) 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back