Vsonic GR07: Perfection (Added MKII vs Bass Edition 24/03)
Feb 15, 2012 at 7:13 PM Post #106 of 270
Quote:
Interesting. I just don't hear any harshness anymore unless the song has it built it, and I know exactly which songs in my collection are like that

Yes, it can be more or less audible depending on the song's content around 6-7kHz. Nothing there = no issue. Lots of sharp transients there or presence-boosted vocals = big issue.

Feb 15, 2012 at 9:42 PM Post #107 of 270

Quote:
So you like the Clip Zip. (with the Gr-07) I may look into this. The Zip looks real Good

I didn't really notice a sonic difference between the clip+ and clip zip. So if you already have the clip+, it may not be worth it to buy the zip. Also, I found the clip+'s oled screen more attractive than the zip's low res color screen. But as always, YMMV.

Quote:
Yes, it can be more or less audible depending on the song's content around 6-7kHz. Nothing there = no issue. Lots of sharp transients there or presence-boosted vocals = big issue.

That's true. On James Morrison's first nd third albums, his vocals are smooth. But on his second album some songs were murder within the first 200 hrs. Things seem to have smoothed out now that I'm >250hrs.

Feb 17, 2012 at 8:44 PM Post #108 of 270
The Zip has a good sound, but if you A/B with a Sony A865, man, there's a very noticeable difference. I was sold. More detail, better bass, better treble, better instrument separation, wider soundstage. But well, it costs €190 vs €50. It's 4x as much and not as practical as the Zip. But concerning any Cowon and the Zip/Clip, the difference is not so noticeable, so yes, its very good value for the money.

Feb 18, 2012 at 12:30 AM Post #109 of 270

Quote:
The Zip has a good sound, but if you A/B with a Sony A865, man, there's a very noticeable difference. I was sold. More detail, better bass, better treble, better instrument separation, wider soundstage. But well, it costs €190 vs €50. It's 4x as much and not as practical as the Zip. But concerning any Cowon and the Zip/Clip, the difference is not so noticeable, so yes, its very good value for the money.

I feel that's a sonic preference thing. I had a A865 and a clip zip. I found the A865 to be warmer and I did not find the staging larger. I kept hearing it would have a large stage but it wasn't much different. While what you get in the A865 is a great player, great software, and nice features, the player can be very dangerous with anything that is either recorded with sibilance, or iem's that are sibilant. Great songs to see this are Ferras Hollywood is not America and Hometown Glory by Adele. Oh man it was ravaging my ears on those. 

But I all in all preferred it as a player to the clip, except for SQ, though the Sony has a notably better amp.It made my Ety hf3's sound rubbish. It is a player big on synergy and it does not treat all iem's with the same regard. Just my opinion of course, but I did love clear bass :)  There again, I prefer less colored sound so I went back to my Clip Zip but no debate, player for player as a device, I liked the Sony more.

Feb 19, 2012 at 12:57 AM Post #110 of 270

Where has City and Colour been all my life? I feel like this song should be a demo for the GR07.

Feb 21, 2012 at 10:02 PM Post #114 of 270

Quote:

I have been burning a hole in that song for 2 days now. It sounds very good.

Ha! I've had it on repeat for a while. You should also check out Mickey Hart's "Planet Drum" album. Simply Phenomenal on the GR07.

Mar 15, 2012 at 4:21 PM Post #115 of 270
OP updated:

Quote:
Addendum:

I have a Shure SE530 on loan. When I had my SE215, I almost spent $400 to upgrade to the SE535 (which I hear is very similar in sound). Of course I had to compare it to the current love of my audio life, the GR07, to see if I missed out on anything by going the route I chose. The answer is...nope. The GR07 is simply a better iem then the SE530. Whenever I switch over from the 530 to the GR07, it's like a breath of fresh air, not just in sound signature, but also in SQ refinement and frequency extension. One funny thing I noticed on the SE530 that shocked me was...sibilance! It didn't come up as often as the GR07, but when it did, I literally felt pain from the harshness. Just a little tidbit there that I wasn't expecting, given all the talk of Shure smoothness and recessed highs. I'm completely happy with the choice I made, and the money I saved.

Cheers Vsonic 

Mar 15, 2012 at 5:46 PM Post #116 of 270

I really agree with you on these having owned the 535's and the 530's The VSonics are also more "layered" Not being able to compare (just going by memory, How does the 07's Compare to the shures regarding Midrange

Quote:
OP updated:

Originally Posted by eke2k6 

Addendum:

I have a Shure SE530 on loan. When I had my SE215, I almost spent $400 to upgrade to the SE535 (which I hear is very similar in sound). Of course I had to compare it to the current love of my audio life, the GR07, to see if I missed out on anything by going the route I chose. The answer is...nope. The GR07 is simply a better iem then the SE530. Whenever I switch over from the 530 to the GR07, it's like a breath of fresh air, not just in sound signature, but also in SQ refinement and frequency extension. One funny thing I noticed on the SE530 that shocked me was...sibilance! It didn't come up as often as the GR07, but when it did, I literally felt pain from the harshness. Just a little tidbit there that I wasn't expecting, given all the talk of Shure smoothness and recessed highs. I'm completely happy with the choice I made, and the money I saved.

Cheers Vsonic 

Mar 15, 2012 at 6:15 PM Post #117 of 270
To my surprise, the GR07's mids were more appealing. They were more detailed, more refined, and on top of that was the fact that the GR07's highs and bass complimented the sound oh so well. There is exactly nothing that the Shures do better than the Vsonic...well maybe isolation. Simply amazing.

Mar 15, 2012 at 7:30 PM Post #118 of 270
Don't want to intrude on your thread but as long as midranges are being discussed, vocals on the GR07 just make me smile. All the time. They are refined with so much texture and detail, having great weight and presence.

Mar 15, 2012 at 7:53 PM Post #119 of 270

Quote:
Don't want to intrude on your thread but as long as midranges are being discussed, vocals on the GR07 just make me smile. All the time. They are refined with so much texture and detail, having great weight and presence.

Oh it's no intrusion buddy. Every other iem I've heard has either been a side grade at best. I can't wait to hear what the GR08 will have in store.

Mar 15, 2012 at 8:19 PM Post #120 of 270
Oh it's no intrusion buddy. Every other iem I've heard has either been a side grade at best. I can't wait to hear what the GR08 will have in store.

Oh man, to say I am eagerly awaiting the GR08 is such an understatement that it should be criminal. I was a bit disheartened when someone had mention them probably being around 400 (I don't exactly recall if it was a bit over or a bit under). I hope they are off the mark by about a hindered bucks lol.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back