Vsonic GR07: Perfection (Added MKII vs Bass Edition 24/03)
Mar 20, 2012 at 11:22 PM Post #136 of 270
I listened to that in the other thread, and it sounded great. Then I came in here, and listened to it again.
biggrin.gif

Ahhh 150, that was my magic mark too
beerchug.gif

Quote:
That sounds awesome with the Gr07. I got mine burned in for over 150 hours now and they sound so much better now than they did when I first got them.

May 3, 2012 at 12:18 PM Post #137 of 270
Added FX700, IE8, and GR07 comparison to the first post.

Quote:

FX700, IE8, and GR07 Comparison

Please bear in mind that these impressions are the result of what I'm hearing from directly A/B/C'ing these iems.

FX700: I can see why some regard it as the best dynamic universal. Timbre is great, detail is ridiculous, and it has this extremely lively, edgy sound that can be addictive on the right songs. The treble extends to the feet of Zeus, and the bass reaches down to the depth of the river Styx. Sorry, I love Greek mythology. I wouldn't consider the midrange recessed, it's just not that forward. It's there and it's detailed, but you can tell the bass and the treble are the stars of the show. There's a whole lot of bass, but it's so rich and textured that it's never really a problem. The overall sound is just so open, and the imaging is addictive. I feel like I'm listening to a headphone moreso than an iem, a really engaging headphone. The only (personal) con that I have with with it is that there is just so much treble on some songs. I feel like the overall sound is tilted towards the upper regions, with lots of bass to prevent the sound from becoming cold or overly clinical. When I listen to instruments like drums and cymbals, I can hear the treble boost in the overly lively snap of the snare, or the slight splashiness of the cymbals. I also feel like the treble tilt improves the apparent detail presented. Going back and forth with the GR07 on Mumford and Sons' "Little Lion Man," the FX700 presents about 5% more detail in the opening guitar sequence. Would I keep them for my daily use? No. They're a bit aggressive too aggressive, even at less than 1/2 of my iphone's volume and the mids are a bit dry for my taste. Otherwise, they're an EDM lover's dream come true, and the ultimate incarnation of the V-/U-shaped signature.

GR07: Way more polite than the FX700. I'd say the timbre is on par with the FX700, without that treble tilt, so it sounds more natural (to me at leas). Detailing is less aggressive, and the overall signature is more laidback, allowing me to listen for hours without a hint of fatigue. Dynamics on the GR07 are good, but not on the same level of the monster that is the FX700. So on about 10-15% of my library, I found myself longing for the edginess of the FX700. Keep in mind that the remaining 85-90% of my library was done better to my ears by the GR07. One of the things I love about this iem is that it lets me hear my music as it is. It's ever so slightly warm, without really coloring the music. That is not something I can say about the FX700. Not to say that the GR07 is boring; it's what I call a "lady in the street, but a freak in the bed." It's not a stripper with tattoos all over her body, but a girl with a little butterfly on her pelvis where you alone can see it. What my strange analogy implies is that the Gr07 is not an "always on" iem. It has no midbass hump, yet it can rumble your socks off it it needs to. It's still my favorite iem. The

IE8: The IE8 sounds way better than I expected, listening to the accounts of some. Yes, there is a midbass veil that obscures detail in the mids, but the rest of the spectrum is done pretty well. The highs are well extended, and have plenty of sparkle, and the mids, though veiled, are present and enjoyable. I didn't really find the soundstage to be that massive or distant. Listening to Amy Winehouse's "Valerie," her voice was intimate enough to keep the song together. Overall, the sound is pretty darn good, and I can imagine that the IE80 is even better. I have to comment on the beautiful, beautiful cable. It's so supple, and pliable. I think it may even be better than the GR07's. There's a member who keeps dumping on the IE8's jack because it's not gold-plated. To that, I say..."So?" This is one of the best built iems I've ever seen. Also, to the person saying the IE8 has no bass, there is moore than enough bass. It was enough to be slightly overpowering on some songs, and this was on the first knob out of 4 or 5!!

I can definitely see why all these iems are considered top tiers. I have to say that the FX700 is the classiest IEM I've seen in my life. It's simply gorgeous. It makes the GR07 look like the ugly duckling...

May 3, 2012 at 6:14 PM Post #140 of 270
Quote:
IMO the tf10 is inferior to all the others. The ex600 is really close to the gr07's sound. Joker's review is spot on.

I appreciate your impressions.

Did you find the FX700 was a lot more 3D vs GR07?

I found IE80s bass stole the show on many tracks and the mids and highs were flat.
The earphones were very comfortable and unlike any IEM I've had, allowed for sleeping on your side.

May 3, 2012 at 6:25 PM Post #141 of 270
Quote:
I appreciate your impressions.

Did you find the FX700 was a lot more 3D vs GR07?

I found IE80s bass stole the show on many tracks and the mids and highs were flat.
The earphones were very comfortable and unlike any IEM I've had, allowed for sleeping on your side.

Unless the song called for it, yes. It's imaging is something else, especially because it throws the detail in your face more. The FX700 has an "always on" soundstage to my ears. It can't do intimacy very well, whereas the GR07 can do it and manage to throw cues pretty.

The IE8 is pretty comfy. Right behind it is the GR07 (similar shape), and then the FX700. The FX700 is the heaviest of the three, and it's designed to be worn down. As such, there is a tendency to fall out when you move your head quickly. Not to mention the short cable...

Jun 13, 2012 at 9:54 AM Post #142 of 270
Quote:

[Ed: on sibilance]
That's true. On James Morrison's first nd third albums, his vocals are smooth. But on his second album some songs were murder within the first 200 hrs. Things seem to have smoothed out now that I'm >250hrs.

Mine have more than 1k hours now on them, the sibilance is far more dependent on tips than anything else. You can get somewhat accustomed to it, but it's still there.
E.g. included silicone has the most, Comply foam the least, MEElectronics triple flange a medium amount. The difference ranges from -4 dB correction w/ Comply T200 to -10 dB with the default silicones.

About EX600 having similar sound - no, it doesn't (in my short listening experience with them). Its resonance is different in nature, sounding more bell-like, kind of inbetween RE272 and GR07.

RE272 has bell-like resonance and GR07 having sibilant/rock guitar resonance. This suggests that EX600 has a boost around 5kHz and a lesser boost around 7kHz.
(RE272 also has a "high vocal" boost around 2 kHz, while EX600 has a cut there, making vocals slightly more distant.)

Jun 13, 2012 at 2:01 PM Post #143 of 270
Quote:

Mine have more than 1k hours now on them, the sibilance is far more dependent on tips than anything else. You can get somewhat accustomed to it, but it's still there.
E.g. included silicone has the most, Comply foam the least, MEElectronics triple flange a medium amount. The difference ranges from -4 dB correction w/ Comply T200 to -10 dB with the default silicones.

About EX600 having similar sound - no, it doesn't (in my short listening experience with them). Its resonance is different in nature, sounding more bell-like, kind of inbetween RE272 and GR07.

RE272 has bell-like resonance and GR07 having sibilant/rock guitar resonance. This suggests that EX600 has a boost around 5kHz and a lesser boost around 7kHz.
(RE272 also has a "high vocal" boost around 2 kHz, while EX600 has a cut there, making vocals slightly more distant.)

Hmm. I found the EX600 and GR07 to share very similar sound sigs. Joker's rating of them is exactly how I heard them, and I also agree with the difference in the rating of the 2.

Jul 11, 2012 at 11:14 AM Post #144 of 270
@eke2k6
This is an excellent review and one that I wish I had found sooner. Had I read your review first, I could have saved myself $110.00 by not buying a Shure SE215 like you did. Oh well.
rolleyes.gif
Between the VSONIC GR07 (MKII) and the JVC FXD80, I'll have a big decision ahead of me.

Edit: Now I'm looking at the Yahama EPH-100. My wallet is going to strangle me in my sleep.
ph34r.gif

Jan 15, 2013 at 4:49 PM Post #148 of 270
im getting these in the mail soon bought them here in the sale section..2 questions whats the benefit of the new cable vs the old cable and how do you get it replace

and 2ndly i went through the tip thread and im still not sure which tips would be best id like to have a bunch for varity so dont mind ordering..alot of people say the jay foams but those dont seem to be easy to find

Jan 15, 2013 at 10:29 PM Post #149 of 270
im getting these in the mail soon bought them here in the sale section..2 questions whats the benefit of the new cable vs the old cable and how do you get it replace

and 2ndly i went through the tip thread and im still not sure which tips would be best id like to have a bunch for varity so dont mind ordering..alot of people say the jay foams but those dont seem to be easy to find

Hi. I think you should wait to see if the stock tips fit you first. The GR07 oval tips are among the most comfortable you can get. They also include a lot of extra tips.

Save yourself some money and wait.

The cable isn't user replaceable. If it breaks (doesn't happen very often) you'll have to go through the warranty process.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back