Vsonic GR07: Perfection (Added MKII vs Bass Edition 24/03)
Feb 3, 2012 at 5:56 PM Post #91 of 270

Quote:
Just recieved mine, im new at this lol, how do i change the tips? Just pull them off? Is there a technique lol

Yep, just pull them off. But don't just yank them. You have to be careful so you don't break anything.

Feb 3, 2012 at 7:00 PM Post #93 of 270
Yeah just pull em off!! Hold the base and not the strain reliefs. Make sure you let them burn in (Play for 100-200 hours) They will sound much better in time

Feb 3, 2012 at 9:13 PM Post #94 of 270
It really is perfection. I listen to the GR07 and my collection expands into other sound signatures and downgrades instead of trying to compete with them. These are the only pair I own which cost $160, the rest are in the $50-80 category.

Feb 7, 2012 at 9:36 AM Post #95 of 270

Quote:
It really is perfection. I listen to the GR07 and my collection expands into other sound signatures and downgrades instead of trying to compete with them. These are the only pair I own which cost $160, the rest are in the $50-80 category.

I'm glad you're enjoying them jarrett

Feb 7, 2012 at 4:27 PM Post #96 of 270
One of the defining things IMO about the GR07 and likely other expensive headphones is that is that you don't really notice that you are listening through headphones at all. With most <$100 IEMs there is some obvious 'thing' that sticks out in the sound signature which reminds you of their limits.

Feb 7, 2012 at 9:27 PM Post #97 of 270
One of the defining things IMO about the GR07 and likely other expensive headphones is that is that you don't really notice that you are listening through headphones at all. With most <$100 IEMs there is some obvious 'thing' that sticks out in the sound signature which reminds you of their limits.

Yeah, it's definitely one of those iems whose greatest strength is a lack of a real weakness

Feb 11, 2012 at 11:54 AM Post #98 of 270
Heh, I've almost completely switched to RE272, which are altogether another level of quality, however I sometimes go back to GR07.
Well, for one, the cabling is better on GR07. They have more bass quantity, but the bass sounds hollow and "heartless" for some reason.
RE272 are far faster yet have nicer decay.

Of course GR07 are missing the superb treble or RE272 - they have slightly grainy texture and the quite ugly peak at 6.5 kHz.
Those are its weaknesses which RE272 doesn't share.

However, note that RE272 are 2.5x more expensive and also even lighter on bass - though it has much better kick and extension all around; trading the large narrow 6.5k peak ("sibilant/distortion guitar") for two less annoying ones that are about as large, one at 1.5 kHz ("nasal/female vocal"), the other at 4 kHz ("brass/bell").

Feb 11, 2012 at 12:11 PM Post #99 of 270
Heh, I've almost completely switched to RE272, which are altogether another level of quality, however I sometimes go back to GR07.

That's interesting. I haven't heard the 272, but as far as the spike in the GR07 is concerned, it can be eliminated with the use of different tips. For my ears, the jays tips significantly reduce any sibilance I used to experience. The more hours I put on theGR07, the more I noticed that the spike decreased. Now I don't notice any harshness. Your last paragraph just shows me that no iem is perfect. I wanted to hear the 272 until I heard that it was on the analytical side...oh well.

Feb 11, 2012 at 2:33 PM Post #100 of 270
No, the spike can't be eliminated, I've tried so many various tips.
The best I was able to do is reducing it about 3dB then moving it 500 Hz down from 7 kHz (super annoying) to 6.5kHz (just annoying).

I have small ear canals, which complicates matters.
--
The "analytical" comment can actually any of 4 things:
1) IEM is bass thin
2) IEM has no natural bass boost
3) IEM has fast or no decay
4) IEM has fast attack
5) IEM is very well extended up

In case of RE272, it's mostly 2, 4 and 5. It doesn't have the customary natural 6dB/oct bass boost. Has a tiny amount of subbass rolloff, like 3 dB below 30 Hz, best result out there I think.
Real easy to equalize it.
Hell, even unequalized RE272 is more musical and "characterful" than GR07.
While GR07 sounds like.. hmm, like electric guitar, rough and a bit boxy; RE272 sounds like celesta or plates (percussion), a tinge electric.

--
Here's an analytic IEM's (in sense of 1 through 4, which is worse than RE272) measurement:
http://en.goldenears.net/index.php?mid=GR_Earphones&page=7&document_srl=1512
RE272 has much flatter and better extended bass.
And here's a completely non-analytic IEM:
http://en.goldenears.net/index.php?mid=GR_Earphones&page=7&document_srl=1678

While here you get a superb balanced measurement, but not too extended upwards, thus not usually considered analytic. (Ortofon e-Q7):
http://en.goldenears.net/index.php?mid=GR_Earphones&page=5&document_srl=2876

Oh, and here's something that sounds a bit similar to GR07; Grado GR10: (Except I'd say that GR07 has rolled off subbass and higher 7k peak)
http://en.goldenears.net/index.php?mid=GR_Earphones&page=2&listStyle=webzine&document_srl=6332

Feb 11, 2012 at 2:42 PM Post #101 of 270

Quote:
No, the spike can't be eliminated, I've tried so many various tips.
The best I was able to do is reducing it about 3dB then moving it 500 Hz down from 7 kHz (super annoying) to 6.5kHz (just annoying).

I have small ear canals, which complicates matters.
--
The "analytical" comment can actually any of 4 things:
1) IEM is bass thin
2) IEM has no natural bass boost
3) IEM has fast or no decay
4) IEM has fast attack
5) IEM is very well extended up

In case of RE272, it's mostly 2, 4 and 5. It doesn't have the customary natural 6dB/oct bass boost.

Hmm. Maybe you're experiencing some sort of resonance in your ear canals, or it could be that I've been desensitized to the spike. Either way, I simply don't hear it anymore. If a song has harshness built in, then it will show. For the remaining 99% of my collection, it seems just fine to me. I'm only stating what I heard about the 272. I may have to give them a listen one day.

Feb 12, 2012 at 3:59 AM Post #103 of 270
Quote:
Hmm. Maybe you're experiencing some sort of resonance in your ear canals, or it could be that I've been desensitized to the spike. Either way, I simply don't hear it anymore. If a song has harshness built in, then it will show. For the remaining 99% of my collection, it seems just fine to me. I'm only stating what I heard about the 272. I may have to give them a listen one day.

Not really and yes, you can get used to the spike, much like getting used to V-shaped frequency response.
The main problems is actually not the spike itself, but that the frequency "lingers" and this causes the sibilance feel, even after equalization.

Feb 15, 2012 at 8:35 AM Post #104 of 270

Quote:
Not really and yes, you can get used to the spike, much like getting used to V-shaped frequency response.
The main problems is actually not the spike itself, but that the frequency "lingers" and this causes the sibilance feel, even after equalization.

Interesting. I just don't hear any harshness anymore unless the song has it built it, and I know exactly which songs in my collection are like that

Feb 15, 2012 at 6:58 PM Post #105 of 270

Quote:
really love this baby. clip zip+GR07 =  heaven to my ears

So you like the Clip Zip. (with the Gr-07) I may look into this. The Zip looks real Good

Users who are viewing this thread

Back