Verum Audio - Exciting high performance DIY planar
Status
Not open for further replies.
Feb 15, 2019 at 6:39 PM Post #78 of 1,486
Sorry I don't know the meaning of pleather (I heard pleather pad long ago but still don't know what exactly is).

Anyway, I tried many such as ZMF K701 AH-D7000 AR-H1 etc. Finally Verum stock, Shure840 and HM5 sound acceptable for me. Overall Verum win. 840 second.

Thanks for your reply. I guess I will wait to order one. Hopefully he doesn't raise the price in the future.

"Pleather" or "protein leather" is fake or synthetic leather. It's the most common pad material used on headphones because it's cheap and seals relatively well. However, it doesn't breathe and makes ears and heads sweat. Also it tends to go hard or start to flake after months or years of use. Of those pads you listed most are pleather although depending on the model of ZMF, K701, and HM5 pads you tried it might have been velour or real leather like sheepskin.

Last edited:
Feb 15, 2019 at 6:52 PM Post #79 of 1,486
While we are on the subject of pads, what are the outer dimensions, including thickness, of the stock pads? Are they round or oval (they look round)? And are they angled at all?

Feb 16, 2019 at 5:16 AM Post #81 of 1,486
Thanks for your reply. I guess I will wait to order one. Hopefully he doesn't raise the price in the future.

"Pleather" or "protein leather" is fake or synthetic leather. It's the most common pad material used on headphones because it's cheap and seals relatively well. However, it doesn't breathe and makes ears and heads sweat. Also it tends to go hard or start to flake after months or years of use. Of those pads you listed most are pleather although depending on the model of ZMF, K701, and HM5 pads you tried it might have been velour or real leather like sheepskin.
Thanks for the pleather explanation.
The ZMF I tried is a lamb skin ori. K701 velour and HM5 pleather.

I have a serious problem to pair Verum with my amp. If your recent amp have a high output impedance and want to run it in balanced. You may have the same issue as me.
I reported this on the other forum. Go check it if you want to learn more about his.

Feb 17, 2019 at 4:09 AM Post #84 of 1,486
It is round steel ring inside earpad. It cannot be oval :wink:
Just noted that you're a trade member now. Glad to see you back Garuspik.

Round on the pads bottom, a little oval on the pads open. If I apply a little squeeze it will stay on round a while.
Honestly I'm happy with this little oval which give me room to fit my ears.

PS. I'm still waiting the yoke fixing instruction.
Not trying to push... you're so protected I have to be careful when asking my customer's right.

Last edited:
Feb 17, 2019 at 8:56 AM Post #86 of 1,486
It is round steel ring inside earpad. It cannot be oval :wink:

I noticed it's very easy to bend the metal ring, so I have had to be very very careful. The ring is also kind of sharp along the edges. I would like to see a fine mesh to protect the diaphragm from debris when the pads are off too, personally. Sometimes pads don't have any mesh, and you can't use those.

Maybe use thicker rubber rings instead of pleather for the headband knobs, as the pleather rings come off with very little pressure. If they don't need friction, try using felt pads instead, as they won't grab the metal and twist itself loose like the pleather did.

The grilles could be attached in a more easily removable way, like with screws. Thst is only my personal preference, and I don't really plan on modding these anyway, so it doesn't matter to me :)

The top knob for the heaband width/angle adjustment has a bigger pleather disc instead of a ring. This fell off too, but it actually works fine that way.

Last edited:
Feb 24, 2019 at 9:21 PM Post #87 of 1,486
Here's how they look in silver carbon for those that haven't seen

Attachments

• IMG_20190223_102130.jpg
    IMG_20190223_102130.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 0
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back