Verum Audio - Exciting high performance DIY planar
Status
Not open for further replies.
Jun 19, 2020 at 4:39 PM Post #1,426 of 1,486
Did someone checked the wiring on the MK2?
Want to use my existing FAW Noir Hybrid with. :)
Thanks in advance.

Jun 20, 2020 at 4:36 AM Post #1,427 of 1,486
I hope.
The Verum 1 has to compared with my Quad Era-1, which is a beast on the mids with well defined lows and highs.
Will order the V 1 next month, i think.
How long have you had the Quads, read the drivers had failure issues or was that addressed in newer units ?

Jun 20, 2020 at 4:44 AM Post #1,428 of 1,486
What are those shipping times?
Circa a month, but it would depend where you are, so may be less than that....."Covid broke the world".

Jun 20, 2020 at 5:03 AM Post #1,429 of 1,486
I read paragraphs and paragraphs of descriptions and examples that can sum up the entire article with one line: "When a person describes the sound quality as 'musical', it just means they like it - nothing more, nothing less."

This types of articles reminds me of how a friend of mine who did his thesis described it, filling up the word count to make it look "neat" and "nice" for publishing. At least Darko writes eloquently, I'll give him that.

Jun 20, 2020 at 6:32 AM Post #1,430 of 1,486
Well to be honest, I have the tendency to use musical as a characterization as well, in contrast to characterizations like highly resolving and detailed. I think it is a fair and comprehensible way of describing the fun nature of a particular pair of headphones in comparison with more analytical and resolving headphones.
If you question descriptions likes musical you may question immersive, engaging and even fun. Before you know it you have put a disclaimer in every sentence you write.

Last edited:
Jun 20, 2020 at 9:20 AM Post #1,431 of 1,486
How long have you had the Quads, read the drivers had failure issues or was that addressed in newer units ?
Bought them last july.
No issues so far.
I know 3 cases with that driver failure on here, but never discovered by myself.

I'm very happy to have them on my side. :)

Looking forward to the Verum 1 to arrive @home.

Jun 20, 2020 at 5:27 PM Post #1,434 of 1,486
Well to be honest, I have the tendency to use musical as a characterization as well, in contrast to characterizations like highly resolving and detailed. I think it is a fair and comprehensible way of describing the fun nature of a particular pair of headphones in comparison with more analytical and resolving headphones.
If you question descriptions likes musical you may question immersive, engaging and even fun. Before you know it you have put a disclaimer in every sentence you write.
I'm not really one to nitpick reviewers using the word "musical", so long as it is in support of describing a particular objective subset of the sound quality from headphones. For example, the lower-midrange has this 2 dB hump that doesn't dip until 3kHz that makes male voices sound thicker and overall tone warmer, making it sound musical for X types of songs.

But if used by itself, it does not connote the same meaning to most people. Some can say "Bose QC35 sounds very musical" and it does not mean the same to others who've heard those particular headphones.

Just look at the Glossary describing sound section here describing musicality: https://www.head-fi.org/threads/describing-sound-a-glossary.220770/

Musical (or musicality) - A sense of cohesion and subjective "rightness" in the sound.

This supports the idea that "musical" does not give an objective description, given that its a "subjective "rightness" in the sound". It's unlike "warm" or "bright" adjectives that encompasses an objective measurement which can be understood by anyone looking at frequency response graphs.

So it's really a subjective description, which can be summed up with the person liking the sound more than anything.

A little bit off-topic from the Verum One. My apologies folks!

Jun 20, 2020 at 6:23 PM Post #1,435 of 1,486
I'm not really one to nitpick reviewers using the word "musical", so long as it is in support of describing a particular objective subset of the sound quality from headphones. For example, the lower-midrange has this 2 dB hump that doesn't dip until 3kHz that makes male voices sound thicker and overall tone warmer, making it sound musical for X types of songs.

But if used by itself, it does not connote the same meaning to most people. Some can say "Bose QC35 sounds very musical" and it does not mean the same to others who've heard those particular headphones.

Just look at the Glossary describing sound section here describing musicality: https://www.head-fi.org/threads/describing-sound-a-glossary.220770/

Musical (or musicality) - A sense of cohesion and subjective "rightness" in the sound.

This supports the idea that "musical" does not give an objective description, given that its a "subjective "rightness" in the sound". It's unlike "warm" or "bright" adjectives that encompasses an objective measurement which can be understood by anyone looking at frequency response graphs.

So it's really a subjective description, which can be summed up with the person liking the sound more than anything.

A little bit off-topic from the Verum One. My apologies folks!

I think we agree. I only meant to say that there's nothing wrong with being 'subjective' in reviewing, as long as you make it clear you're being subjective.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back