Verum Audio - Exciting high performance DIY planar
Status
Not open for further replies.
Jun 7, 2020 at 3:03 PM Post #1,398 of 1,486
The mk2 is noticably lighter and more comfortable. Overall, looks much better with the new grill and especially, the headband. One thing, the mk2 has less range in the length adjustment, so it might not fit the biggest heads out there.

The new perforated pads (in comparison to the mk1 stock solid pads) sound more neutral and forward in the mids. But not too much overdone, imo. Female vocals sound more lively. There's less bass extension, but remain hefty. Overall, I like the new pads better. I didn't really like the mk1 stock pads, due to the round ear opening. If you're going to use solid pads. I suggest using others (ZMF, etc).

I keep different pads for the Verum, so that I can change the sound sig. Changing pads on the Verum is like a dream, as opposed to a nightmare for hifiman cans. I bought several pads from Verum, so I have 3 sets of those magnet rings. So, I change pads really easily and quickly.

The Verum extends deep and hits like a mad cow. One of its main strengths is bass attack and impact, and its overall macro dynamic. But I noticed that seal is important for the bass to come out fully. Try this track (Heilung - Svanrand) with solid angled leather pads, and compare it with the Sundara, Ananda, or Arya, and you'll see what I mean.

Interesting, that is not the bass response I am getting with the stock perforated angled pads. I think they're seeling fine too. Huh.

Everything else has been excellent though, so I am not going to complain too much :D

Wish we could order the newer headband already!

I am also still on the lookout for various other pads since the perforated Ori pads didn't quite do it for me. Whatever would jsut beef up the bass a little and leave everything else in tact

Last edited:
Jun 7, 2020 at 3:15 PM Post #1,399 of 1,486
Interesting, that is not the bass response I am getting with the stock perforated angled pads. I think they're seeling fine too. Huh.

Everything else has been excellent though, so I am not going to complain too much :D

I am also still on the lookout for various other pads since the perforated Ori pads didn't quite do it for me. Whatever would jsut beef up the bass a little and leave everything else in tact

The old non-perf pads are a bit warmer but they are not angled. Trade?

Edit: Nevermind, just noticed your location.

Last edited:
Jun 7, 2020 at 9:23 PM Post #1,400 of 1,486

Try the non-perforated Ori pads for bass. I am using a very thick angled solid lambskin.

Jun 12, 2020 at 1:35 AM Post #1,401 of 1,486
Hello, this week I have received the mk2. I have listened to them with the Atom. What is most surprising is the width of the soundstage. It may be because of the new perforated pads. The sound is transparent with a touch of sweetness. Now the bass is less strong, but it's accurate. The headphones do not cause hearing fatigue. A greeting.

Jun 13, 2020 at 10:29 AM Post #1,404 of 1,486
Hi. I have been reading this forum almost daily for many years but this it’s my first post.
Recently I have received Verum 1 and decided to post my initial impressions here because it exceeded my expectations.
My other headphones are:
- Sennheiser HD800 – for me they sounds too thin (tried them with a few sources and amps), I can listen to them just by using them with Sonarworks.
- Sennheiser HD650 – I enjoy them but I miss LCD-2CB bass
- Audeze LCD-2CB – my everyday headphone
- Fostex T50RP MKIII – sounds good but lacks resolution, sometimes get harsh
- AudioQuest NightHawk – sometimes I like them, sometimes I feel they sound weird

I have listened to Verum 1 for about 40 hours in my current system that was built around Audeze LCD-2 Closed.
I liked what I heard but I still preferred Audeze LCD-2 Closed.
A brief description of how I perceived the Verum 1 vs. Audeze LCD-2 Closed.
Verum 1:
- high frequencies has more presence without inducing fatigue;
- neutral, uncolored.
Audeze LCD-2 Closed:
- more bass;
- warm, mellow;
- a little more details/plankton.

My current setup consists of Soekris dam1941 DAC with CineMag CMLI-15/15B on output (for me with transformers on output the sound it’s more natural, lifelike) and Burson Audio HA-160.
Thinking that Verum 1 with its low impedance needs more current, I have changed HA-160 with a DIY amp (http://electronics-diy.com/zen-headphone-amplifier.php) biased at 210 mA.
In this setup Verum 1 it’s as detailed, musical and engaging as Audeze LCD-2 Closed. Even bass it’s more present, now LCD-2 Closed has only a small advantage in frequency range between 20 - 50Hz.
I am very impressed. Verum’s are great headphones.
Now I will describe Verum 1 as a neutral headphone with extended, cristal clear highs that do not induce fatigue, which produces a pleasant sound.
I think that with a more quality powerful amplifier the sound will improve even further.
The more I listen, the more I like them.

Jun 16, 2020 at 4:25 AM Post #1,405 of 1,486
any door-to-door times on Verum from Ukraine...1 month etc ?

Jun 17, 2020 at 5:59 AM Post #1,408 of 1,486
Could someone give me an insight of the termination on the cups, please?
I'm curious about the usage of my FAW Noir Hybrid i have for my Era-1. :)

Thanks in advance.

BR
Chris

Jun 17, 2020 at 7:16 AM Post #1,409 of 1,486
I have listened to the Verums with the Magni 3+. Sounds very good. Have you tried them with tubes?

I think I preferred them with my xDuoo TA-30 over the Sabaj D5 SE or SMSL SP200.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back