V-MODA Crossfade M-80 Reviews
Nov 9, 2011 at 5:47 PM Post #91 of 2,828

Quote:
He's entitled to an opinion just like everybody else. *shrug*

I still use my HDJ-2000 more than the M80, but that's just me.

I believe I used to own a pair of HDJ-2000. If I'm not mistaken they are rather bass-centric. Do you agree with this estimation (they are Pioneer's, are they not)?

Nov 9, 2011 at 7:44 PM Post #93 of 2,828
I actually traded my HDJ-2000 for a brand-new M-80 with Val, and I must say that I got what I was hoping for. As much as I loved the HDJ-2000s they weren't as portable  for me and I was hoping the M-80s could be like a portable version of those, at least when it comes to having similar bass, warmth, soundstage and detail retrieval. I'm not disappointed at all. My only minor complaint about the M-80s is isolation. Now granted, I take NYC subways so overall the M-80s isolates well when not in a train, but not as much to diminish engine rumble (a la HD25). 

@gilly I would recommend reading some HD25/M-80 comparisons (Armaegis does a very nice comparison in his portable shootout) Honestly, I feel like these two cans are a match made in heaven. They are both punchy, with the M-80s being a bit warmer and more spacious with great tonality, and the HD25 being just a tad more aggressive in overall sound sig and a bit brighter up top. I feel they both complement each other well and I'm glad I have both. If I crave a wider stage one day M-80s it is. If I want a little more treble energy with a bit punchier bass HD25 it is. 

As for V-Moda as an overall company vs. other consumer companies (such as Monster) - well I can say they're polar opposites when it comes to their overall customer service. As kind of strange as it is to have an owner of a company on here watching all our feedback, it's actually pretty nice. It means Val cares, is researching, taking our constructive criticisms (you'll notice also that many of the chosen reviewers you mentioned that have high post-counts - those headfiers have had experience with many cans and would actually be more likely to be harder in critiquing his cans) and most importantly, it means he cares what the headfi community thinks and thus will hopefully make his headphones better and better. Another thing that makes them very different from a company like Monster - well, if you get the M-80s, open the box and feel the construction of these cans... then go to your nearest Best Buy check out the $200-300 plastic by Monster. With the M-80s, you get a nice balance when it comes to style, sound, and construction. 

Nov 9, 2011 at 9:37 PM Post #95 of 2,828

Quote:

I believe I used to own a pair of HDJ-2000. If I'm not mistaken they are rather bass-centric. Do you agree with this estimation (they are Pioneer's, are they not)?

Yep, and I even modded them to further increase bass. Ironically, I don't really consider myself a basshead... but I had a screwdriver, some felts and blutak, and a few too many minutes of free time
biggrin.gif

Quote:
I actually traded my HDJ-2000 for a brand-new M-80 with Val, and I must say that I got what I was hoping for. As much as I loved the HDJ-2000s they weren't as portable  for me and I was hoping the M-80s could be like a portable version of those, at least when it comes to having similar bass, warmth, soundstage and detail retrieval. I'm not disappointed at all. My only minor complaint about the M-80s is isolation. Now granted, I take NYC subways so overall the M-80s isolates well when not in a train, but not as much to diminish engine rumble (a la HD25). 

Another thing that makes them very different from a company like Monster - well, if you get the M-80s, open the box and feel the construction of these cans... then go to your nearest Best Buy check out the $200-300 plastic by Monster. With the M-80s, you get a nice balance when it comes to style, sound, and construction. 

I don't think any headphone will do an adequate job vs a subway. You'll have to use iems to combat the noise there.

As an odd aside, my case actually came scratched up. Not sure how that happened in the box, but mine had a little gouge on each side.

Quote:
Agreed lol I am too poor for my headfi membership and my gf thinks so too. 

If you do something like this for your gf, she may become more accepting of your habit.

Nov 9, 2011 at 10:19 PM Post #96 of 2,828
The HD25s do a pretty decent job on the train (I even find myself using them more over my my ath-anc7s although it's more because I'm choosing isolation w/ better SQ vs. better isolation w/ decent SQ). It's too bad my HJE900s are not better isolating (they're kind of shallow) 'cause they are my favorite in overall SQ. But I am considering getting some Etys in the very near future just to hear how great they isolate plus experience their very neutral/analytical flavor.

And I like that idea haha. You did a really beautiful job on those PX100s. Seems like the perfect Valentine's Day gift with some roses next to it. :p

Edit: hell yeah 500th post 

Nov 9, 2011 at 11:52 PM Post #97 of 2,828
I have the Etymotic HF3's.  My daily commute involves travelling on the to work and a 10 minute walk on a busy downtown street and I haven't found anything better for isolation and great sound. The only thing is that they need to deep in your ear canal - not a problem for me.
I also have the HD25's & M-80's and have used them on vacations with the preference now going to the M-80's for the remote.  For my everyday commute, it's the HF3's (and the B&W C5's once a week just for a change).  I really enjoy all of them and they each have their use and place.

Quote:
The HD25s do a pretty decent job on the train (I even find myself using them more over my my ath-anc7s although it's more because I'm choosing isolation w/ better SQ vs. better isolation w/ decent SQ). It's too bad my HJE900s are not better isolating (they're kind of shallow) 'cause they are my favorite in overall SQ. But I am considering getting some Etys in the very near future just to hear how great they isolate plus experience their very neutral/analytical flavor.

Nov 10, 2011 at 5:13 AM Post #98 of 2,828
Well this is a rather welcome surprise. Tonight I was going through some of my old MP3 collection and found an old iTunes download called Sandstorm The Remixes by Darude. All you M-80 owners out there I suggest you get your hands on the Sandstorm extended version and the Sandstorm Dallas Superstarts Remix. The M-80 makes those two mixes sound fantastic.
dt880smile.png

Nov 10, 2011 at 7:49 AM Post #99 of 2,828
If you guys are using the iPhone, I was gonna suggest to download the V-Moda Musique iApp. I've been listening to it regularly.

Nov 10, 2011 at 9:57 AM Post #101 of 2,828
They are very well built and have few moving parts so think they should be fine but waiting a while to ensure they are solid isn't a bad idea.

Nov 11, 2011 at 3:44 AM Post #103 of 2,828

Quote:
I ordered the V-80 version yesterday just because its cheaper than the M-80 on amazon and I do like the red color more than the all black tho lol
so excited to get it tomorrow :)

Be sure to come back and let us know how you like them. I'm always curious what others think about gear I own.

Nov 11, 2011 at 9:27 PM Post #104 of 2,828

Quote:
Be sure to come back and let us know how you like them. I'm always curious what others think about gear I own.

I just got it today, and I have to say. the V-80 looks beautiful, very portable, they do leak sound sadly buy I cannot give any certain thoughts about the sound till i burn them a little.
so now im just playing some music to burn it then I will listen to them again and see. 

Nov 11, 2011 at 9:30 PM Post #105 of 2,828
When you say leak sound I assume you inwardly not outwardly, correct?

If so i agree, they are not the most isolating headphones I have used but not as bad as open headphone.

Let's just say I use an IEM on the train...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back