Well we all know what the Sennheiser PX100 looks like...
I tentatively had it up on the forums for trade until I decided that it would make a good birthday gift for the gf. She's always teased me that they never make red headphones, so therefore...
This was the easy part. Just some paint and a steady hand.
Next up was masking off the foam because I couldn't figure out if the cups could come off (I think they're glued down). I cut pieces of paper just slightly larger than the openings and pushed them in with a tweezer. I made sure to leave a bit of space or add a wrinkle so I'd be able to pull them out later.
Gotta mask the outer edge too.
And now for some more paint and a slightly less steady hand.
The finished product.
I used some red acrylic paint that I got from the dollar store. In retrospect, this was a really bad choice. I should have used modeling paint (which is enamel I think?). The acrylic was all splotchy and uneven, even after two coats, and had a very rough feel to it that would scratch off easily. My solution to this was to coat it with clear nail polish. Why nail polish? Because I didn't want to head back out to the store and buy a whole bottle of varnish for such a small project.
So anyhow, three coats of nail polish later (with at least a day or two to properly dry between coats) and it actually turned out really well. It smoothed out the splotchy colour and made it all smooth and shiny. I unfortunately goofed on a couple spots and you can see red on the foam. Amusingly, it's the same red splotch on both sides, so at least I'm consistent.
Project time: about a week. Actual work time (painting and paper cutting): maybe 3 hours.
The only downside is that now I won't have a PX100 anymore. Hmm, maybe I should get the 100ii...
Edited by Armaegis - 9/19/10 at 3:11am