USB-C to 3.5mm adapters (DAC) - Let's find the best
Oct 1, 2019 at 11:14 AM Post #317 of 6,440
Oct 9, 2019 at 4:32 PM Post #321 of 6,440
Hello everybody,
Yesterday I received Meizu Hifi-Dac (CS43131). There's an issue with it.
I paired it with transport player Tempotec V1. 5 or 6 times while playing a song the music stops for fractions of milliseconds. I even can't say whether it is stopping or clicks but they exist. I tried to play with different player settings but in vain. I tried the player with Dodocool DAC and everything is fine. No clicks/stopping.
Any ideas how to fix the clicks/stopping?
Has anybody come across with dedicated threads to Meizu DAC?
BTW,
Dodocool is 1.5 times more powerful than Meizu. The sound quality is way better than that of Dodocool dac, though.

I have the non-Pro version of Meizu DAC, and through Windows using usb-c > usb-a adapter there is no popping issue at all. (In fact it seems there's significantly less popping than with my desktop mini DAC Fiio E10K, when there's sudden starts/stops of audio)
When I connect it to my Google Pixel 2 XL, it's popping at first plug, and then also at other random times

With my other DAC Hidizs Sonata II, there's only popping upon plugging in, albeit less (that I've noticed).

Also interesting fact, Hidizs doesn't support the "listening-in" function, when on a call (Pixel only feature, I believe), the phone uses microphone to increase ambient awareness, while only the official DAC cable and Meizu DAC cable supports this feature. Hidizs with the "high-fi" firmware, headphone microphone support gets disabled completely.

It seems to be related to the voltage regulation of the playback device itself. So this popping issue might be caused by high & sudden power draw. Not that it makes it any less on an issue. Just trying to figure out what's wrong.

Oct 9, 2019 at 4:45 PM Post #322 of 6,440
So people were talking about power consumption. The Hidizs Sonata HDII powering a Q701 at half volume drains my Pixel 3a, which has a 3000mah battery, by 1% every 7-8 minutes. This is while using Google Play Music streaming over WiFi. That's still about 11-12 hours of playback.

Oct 11, 2019 at 5:56 AM Post #325 of 6,440
Just got the iBasso DC02 and have to say it sounds absolutely fantastic! However, there's still a noticable difference in sound characteristics when using it on my P30 Pro compared to my laptop while playing the same files. While connected to a computer the sounds is even fuller and more rounder if that makes sense. I also notice some hiss on my IEMs while connected to the computer, on my phone it is silent. Don't really understand why that is happening though?

Oct 11, 2019 at 7:01 AM Post #326 of 6,440
Just got the iBasso DC02 and have to say it sounds absolutely fantastic! However, there's still a noticable difference in sound characteristics when using it on my P30 Pro compared to my laptop while playing the same files. While connected to a computer the sounds is even fuller and more rounder if that makes sense. I also notice some hiss on my IEMs while connected to the computer, on my phone it is silent. Don't really understand why that is happening though?

how does it compare to the iPhone dongle ?

Oct 11, 2019 at 9:16 AM Post #327 of 6,440
how does it compare to the iPhone dongle ?

I would say that the music sounds fuller, there's more headroom to everything - a bettery dynamic range and it sounds less compressed to my ears. The DC02 opens up the sound while not coloring it in any particular way except maybe a bit more warmth or roundness to it.

Oct 11, 2019 at 9:55 AM Post #328 of 6,440
The dc02 is not an exciting/colored/fun sound. Wish there was more excitement personally but hey. It's more the every note has decent weight smooth quality space/headroom type ordeal. Is clearly superior too the hidzs s3 in every facet. This rooks 2 cents.

Oct 12, 2019 at 12:13 PM Post #329 of 6,440
The DC02 coming out of my pixel 2xl sounds amazing, but using it in airplane mode playing HIFI level files downloaded to the phone from Tidal it used 9-10% of battery per hour on the plane. Which is not bad, if your phone is in airplane mode all the time lol

It does get warm to the touch. I prefer it's sound over the Hidizs S3 though for sure. In fact I have one of those for sale, the S3. Still looking for the perfect dongle for sound that eats up the least amount of battery at the same time. Dunu may come out with one but right now it's on the back burner they said. I think I will try the Razer THX dongle next, it has gotten good reviews but is often overlooked.

Oct 12, 2019 at 1:50 PM Post #330 of 6,440
The DC02 coming out of my pixel 2xl sounds amazing, but using it in airplane mode playing HIFI level files downloaded to the phone from Tidal it used 9-10% of battery per hour on the plane. Which is not bad, if your phone is in airplane mode all the time lol

It does get warm to the touch. I prefer it's sound over the Hidizs S3 though for sure. In fact I have one of those for sale, the S3. Still looking for the perfect dongle for sound that eats up the least amount of battery at the same time. Dunu may come out with one but right now it's on the back burner they said. I think I will try the Razer THX dongle next, it has gotten good reviews but is often overlooked.

The only other solution I think is going to be to get one of the LG phones that have a good headphone output that won't need a USB-C dongle. Even my Hidizs Sonata drains my battery 1% every 7-8 minutes at about half volume. So that's about 8% an hour if my math is right.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back