USB-C to 3.5mm adapters (DAC) - Let's find the best
Mar 19, 2024 at 9:34 AM Post #6,271 of 6,427
I have a HD600 (I don’t use it much…) but don’t have these 2 dongles. Based on the spec, either the UA4 or the FC4 should be fine. Contrarily to what is sometime reported, the HD600 is not that difficult to drive as long as your dongle has enough voltage (power is not the issue here) to handle the high impedance (~300-500 Ohm).
A balanced cable would give you an additional margin.

I saw on the HD600 thread that BT may be a consideration and that you’re not necessarily chasing the “absolute best audiophile experience”. Why don’t you get a Qudelix 5K or Fiio BTR15 instead? They can be used as dongle, and the 5K (I have a couple of those) will give you a whole set of additional features to explore with your HD600…

I’m sure others will have different opinion! :ksc75smile:
the only thing the 5k doesnt give you is any depth to the soundstage tho. if you are ok with 2d flat scenes, i second the suggestion. the btr15 isnt too far of regarding 2d but also has many software flaws that might or might not get solved in the future. I own both.
Having said that, the HD600 doesnt offer much of a soundstage (depth and layering) anyways.

Last edited:
Mar 19, 2024 at 6:05 PM Post #6,273 of 6,427
Hi, HiBy FC6 happens to be on sale right now for about 174 EUR. I already have Colorfly CDA-M1P and enjoy the sound signature. Do you think the improvement from FC6 would be significant? Advantages I can think of at the moment are less heat, lighter weight, display, filters, NOS/OS but maybe it's an overkill?

My favorites are Hidizs MP145, Tanchjim Zero, Sundara, Takstar HF580. I can amplify FC6 with Topping G5 if it struggles with eg. Sundara.

Mar 19, 2024 at 6:13 PM Post #6,274 of 6,427
Hi, HiBy FC6 happens to be on sale right now for about 174 EUR. I already have Colorfly CDA-M1P and enjoy the sound signature. Do you think the improvement from FC6 would be significant? Advantages I can think of at the moment are less heat, lighter weight, display, filters, NOS/OS but maybe it's an overkill?

My favorites are Hidizs MP145, Tanchjim Zero, Sundara, Takstar HF580. I can amplify FC6 with Topping G5 if it struggles with eg. Sundara.
The thing that differentiates the CDA-MP1 is not the filters (for me the best is always the NOS), it is not the weight, nor the lightness. The real difference is the sound... let's say the CDA-MP1 is the appetizer... the FC6 is the complete lunch including dessert.

Mar 19, 2024 at 6:26 PM Post #6,275 of 6,427
Let's be clear though... the FC6 is not a perfect dongle, also because the perfect dongle for me doesn't exist... but its sound is... perfect. For 170 euros then... it's a gift.

Mar 19, 2024 at 6:28 PM Post #6,276 of 6,427
The thing that differentiates the CDA-MP1 is not the filters (for me the best is always the NOS), it is not the weight, nor the lightness. The real difference is the sound... let's say the CDA-MP1 is the appetizer... the FC6 is the complete lunch including dessert.
Thanks for a fast reply. Now that definitely sounds appetizing. According to Headfonics, FC6 had issues with noise generation in NOS mode on Samsung Phones but maybe it got fixed with an update since last July.

Mar 19, 2024 at 6:34 PM Post #6,277 of 6,427
Thanks for a fast reply. Now that definitely sounds appetizing. According to Headfonics, FC6 had issues with noise generation in NOS mode on Samsung Phones but maybe it got fixed with an update since last July.
It doesn't have many functions, it doesn't have many adjustments, it's not very powerful, it doesn't have gain adjustment, it doesn't have line out, they couldn't even put it on the screen, it doesn't have balanced output, it doesn't have many volume steps... but then. .. you connect it... you put on the iems and listen to it, forgetting in half a second everything it doesn't have. Because it has everything you need... the sound of the FC6... and only the FC6 has that.

Mar 20, 2024 at 3:37 AM Post #6,278 of 6,427

could you please provide a link to the fc6 offer? unfortunately i cannot find it

Mar 20, 2024 at 3:53 AM Post #6,279 of 6,427
Mar 20, 2024 at 6:21 AM Post #6,280 of 6,427
This is the correct one. HiBy official site also had it for the price but it's out of stock there since yesterday. Also HiFiGo pays duties and taxes with standard shipping to EU, HiBy doesn't guarantee it.

Aaand it's ordered, final price EUR 165,49 with reward points discount. Their shop is a bit clunky, typing credit card details did not work in Chrome, only in Edge.

Last edited:
Mar 20, 2024 at 4:03 PM Post #6,281 of 6,427
I found the Apple dongle sounds best with the hardware volume just below max (done via UAPP app). Will be interested to hear your thoughts compared to the other ones you own.
I have finally tried it the Apple dongle giving it a proper A/B testing.
1710964169887.png

Tested on Samsung 23 ultra (Neutron player) and I still prefer my UA1Plus and Akliam PD6 (CS43131) and PD7 (ALC5685) better. Aside from the fact that, to my ear, different DAC pair better with different IEMs, I found the Apple dongle having decent separation, lots of air (quite colored) and thin on the body.
A/Bed with a few IEMs and I have to say that II prefer my better the sound of my existing gear, for what it costs it was worth a try ...

Mar 20, 2024 at 7:51 PM Post #6,282 of 6,427
I have finally tried it the Apple dongle giving it a proper A/B testing.
1710964169887.png
Tested on Samsung 23 ultra (Neutron player) and I still prefer my UA1Plus and Akliam PD6 (CS43131) and PD7 (ALC5685) better. Aside from the fact that, to my ear, different DAC pair better with different IEMs, I found the Apple dongle having decent separation, lots of air (quite colored) and thin on the body.
A/Bed with a few IEMs and I have to say that II prefer my better the sound of my existing gear, for what it costs it was worth a try ...
I now find the Apple dongle too harsh and unlistenable. You don't find that?

Mar 21, 2024 at 1:39 AM Post #6,283 of 6,427
I now find the Apple dongle too harsh and unlistenable. You don't find that?
On my side the sound simply did not sound right, a bit hollow, too pushed on the highs ( you can well call it harsh). Played a bit (various IEMs, with and without IFI iEMatch) with it wondering if it might have been an impedence issue but gave up after a bit.
It is no contender to my Shanling(s), Questyle(s) ... even a Meizu Blue sounds way better than the Apple dongle...

Mar 21, 2024 at 2:28 AM Post #6,284 of 6,427
On my side the sound simply did not sound right, a bit hollow, too pushed on the highs ( you can well call it harsh). Played a bit (various IEMs, with and without IFI iEMatch) with it wondering if it might have been an impedence issue but gave up after a bit.
It is no contender to my Shanling(s), Questyle(s) ... even a Meizu Blue sounds way better than the Apple dongle...
I just went out and got a Shanling UA1s, initial impressions are good!

Mar 21, 2024 at 3:30 AM Post #6,285 of 6,427
I just went out and got a Shanling UA1s, initial impressions are good!
That is a pretty good one for me too!
If you have a chance, consider trying also the UA1plus (2 x CS43131 ... not common to have dual DACs on a 3.5)...

Depending on what you are using it with, please keep in mind that it sucks quite a bit of power even when idle. I measure and rank all of my dongles to know what to expect out my my phone battery and UA1s is top four, out of 32 dongles, in terms of juice-consumption.

1711006120980.png

Users who are viewing this thread

Back