USB-C to 3.5mm adapters (DAC) - Let's find the best
Mar 21, 2024 at 1:48 PM Post #6,287 of 6,431
Can anyone recommend a dac, in price bracket and form factor, of similar SQ (or better, if marginal) to the sonata hd II? also, recommend one that works well with car audio via aux jack.

I've used the apple (US version) and google (current version) dacs where I currently use the google one with my car audio; it sounds better between the two but not better than the sonata hd II. Prior I've used my btr3 or btr1k via line out (which sounds good) but want more of a plug and play DAC.

Last edited:
Mar 21, 2024 at 4:07 PM Post #6,288 of 6,431
Mar 21, 2024 at 10:54 PM Post #6,290 of 6,431
Can anyone recommend a dac, in price bracket and form factor, of similar SQ (or better, if marginal) to the sonata hd II? also, recommend one that works well with car audio via aux jack.

I've used the apple (US version) and google (current version) dacs where I currently use the google one with my car audio; it sounds better between the two but not better than the sonata hd II. Prior I've used my btr3 or btr1k via line out (which sounds good) but want more of a plug and play DAC.
I got a Shanling UA1s to replace Sonata hd, found it less harsh than:
Ifi go link
Moondrop dawn
Fiio ka11
Colorfly m1

Mar 22, 2024 at 4:28 AM Post #6,291 of 6,431
I just picked up a Questyle M12i after seeing Andy's review of it on YouTube. I had thought earlier this was just a cosmetic change in the appearance of the case with the addition of MFi certification, but Andy's review suggested it sounded different than the first generation M12.

Unfortunately I don't have the original M12 to compare it with side-by-side. But I did own it twice in the past. From memory the newer version has a more linear bass response - the original had a bit of a mid-bass boost, whereas the newer model goes down deeper. It's great bass too, very textured and layered. In addition the older model always sounded like it had a little bit of edge or grain around the upper mids or lower treble, that gave a little bit of bite to electric guitars etc. The newer model seems smoother in comparison. But thankfully I'd say it isn't too smooth and hits a nice Goldilocks zone where things are resolute but not softened too much.

Overall it's detailed, but also a lot of fun! It's amazing dongles are sounding so good for this kind of price now.

Mar 22, 2024 at 4:37 AM Post #6,292 of 6,431
I just picked up a Questyle M12i after seeing Andy's review of it on YouTube. I had thought earlier this was just a cosmetic change in the appearance of the case with the addition of MFi certification, but Andy's review suggested it sounded different than the first generation M12.

Unfortunately I don't have the original M12 to compare it with side-by-side. But I did own it twice in the past. From memory the newer version has a more linear bass response - the original had a bit of a mid-bass boost, whereas the newer model goes down deeper. It's great bass too, very textured and layered. In addition the older model always sounded like it had a little bit of edge or grain around the upper mids or lower treble, that gave a little bit of bite to electric guitars etc. The newer model seems smoother in comparison. But thankfully I'd say it isn't too smooth and hits a nice Goldilocks zone where things are resolute but not softened too much.

Overall it's detailed, but also a lot of fun! It's amazing dongles are sounding so good for this kind of price now.
You don't have HiBy FC6, do you? I'm curious if only Andy finds those 2 similar sounding. It was also a bit surprising, that he scores DC Elite lower than both HiBy and Questyle while on this forum it's the rage.

Mar 22, 2024 at 5:32 AM Post #6,293 of 6,431
You don't have HiBy FC6, do you? I'm curious if only Andy finds those 2 similar sounding. It was also a bit surprising, that he scores DC Elite lower than both HiBy and Questyle while on this forum it's the rage.
I’ve often thought about pulling the trigger on the FC6 but still haven’t done so, so unfortunately I can’t offer any comparisons there.

I also had the DC-Elite for a while but personally didn’t like it so much for a mix of reasons: the power draw for one, the bulk of it, and while it sounded impressive in terms of sound stage and resolution I felt the timbre didn’t sit all that well with me due to a slight U shape presentation that made some vocals sound a bit off.

Mar 22, 2024 at 6:28 AM Post #6,294 of 6,431
I’ve often thought about pulling the trigger on the FC6 but still haven’t done so, so unfortunately I can’t offer any comparisons there.

I also had the DC-Elite for a while but personally didn’t like it so much for a mix of reasons: the power draw for one, the bulk of it, and while it sounded impressive in terms of sound stage and resolution I felt the timbre didn’t sit all that well with me due to a slight U shape presentation that made some vocals sound a bit off.
Thanks, that's helpful!

Mar 22, 2024 at 6:49 AM Post #6,295 of 6,431
The synergy created between the AKHC4, the RA2BFE and the IER-Z1R is truly extraordinary.

Sinergia.jpg

Mar 22, 2024 at 8:03 AM Post #6,297 of 6,431
Are you using a laptop?
How does it compare to a decent DAP?
Honestly, I have never listened an Astel & Kern dap, but what I can tell you is that this AKHC4 is really convincing me a lot, especially if coupled with an IEM that shows synergy with it and with a quality external amplifier. The amplification given by the RA2BFE is far superior to the vast majority of DAPs not only in terms of power (3 watts at 32 ohms) but above all in terms of the technical capabilities it expresses. The PulWtop then completes the picture by providing much more power than the laptop alone could provide to the AKHC4. I think that to beat this configuration just any dap is not enough, but perhaps a totl dap could do it but it costs several times the cost of the configuration itself.

PulWtop 40 euros
RA2BFE 300 euros
AKHC4 212 euros
Total: 552 euros

I find it really difficult for a 552 euro dap to sound like this...

Last edited:
Mar 22, 2024 at 9:58 AM Post #6,298 of 6,431

Which dongle would you say is least fatiguing to listen to via an Android phone/UAPP, without being overly smooth?

Last edited:
Mar 22, 2024 at 11:01 AM Post #6,299 of 6,431
Which dongle would you say is least fatiguing to listen to via an Android phone/UAPP, without being overly smooth?
Device pairing is what I consider would matter most here. In term of the dongle sound on its own, I use and would suggest a Lotoo Paw S1 (used) or S2. Neutral sound that dances with warmish tonality and smooth top end yet detailed all the way. Very Lotoo sound. There could be cheaper options.

Now I haven't tried a ton of dongle recently. I just returned a Fiio BTR15. Great sound but limited usability for me and poor battery life (<4h after many cycles on AAC/SBC codecs and considering I am interested in LDAC,<4h is a dealbreaker). Sticking with TWS when portability is a primary factor. I found a few cheap ones to sound a bit shouty in the midrange lower treble. Not a deal breaker but I always fall back to my S1. All were using CS43131 DAC. Maybe it's a sign but implememtation is what matters most to me.

I am treble sensitive and I have found that a neutral DAC/Amp with a warm IEM works best for me. It won't save some recordings from sounding harsh but it is clear that in those cases, the recording is my problem.

Mar 22, 2024 at 12:35 PM Post #6,300 of 6,431
I would agree the the previous post.. . It very much depend on the implementation but, to my ears, CS43131 DACs are less fatiguing and smoother than Realtek, Conextant, Qualcomm and ESS DACs.

Have 5 of these and I would suggest considering AkLIAM PD6 (for a small and ultra-portable form factor, not too powerful volume-wise but ideal for low impedance/sensitive IEMs ) or Shanling UA1plus (two CS43131 processors in parallel, really good staging and separation).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back