USB-C to 3.5mm adapters (DAC) - Let's find the best
Mar 23, 2024 at 1:13 AM Post #6,302 of 6,429
that one looked interesting but seems to be sold out at the moment
I got a Shanling UA1s to replace Sonata hd, found it less harsh than:
Ifi go link
Moondrop dawn
Fiio ka11
Colorfly m1
how crucial is the app for functionality? necessary or just nice to have? *i'm eyeing the ua1 plus

Last edited:
Mar 23, 2024 at 3:49 AM Post #6,304 of 6,429
did you have the chance to hear the Astell & Kern HB1? Would be interesting how both compare
I've never listened to the HB1, but having an ESS chip inside I think it sounds quite different from the HC4. For my use, however, I always prefer dongles without an internal battery because I am not interested in using the Bluetooth functionality, while instead I am very interested in not having small internal batteries that pose problems for me when they need to be replaced.

Mar 23, 2024 at 7:20 AM Post #6,307 of 6,429
That is a pretty good one for me too!
If you have a chance, consider trying also the UA1plus (2 x CS43131 ... not common to have dual DACs on a 3.5)...

Depending on what you are using it with, please keep in mind that it sucks quite a bit of power even when idle. I measure and rank all of my dongles to know what to expect out my my phone battery and UA1s is top four, out of 32 dongles, in terms of juice-consumption.

OMG... This is really useful! Thank you so much!

I've always been looking for a DAC that consumes little or no power in standby mode so always connected to my smartphone.
I have purchased the Aklaim PD6 first based on your organized table.

I am also considering purchasing the iBasso DC02 as it does not consume power in standby mode.

One question I have is that the DC02 is an AKM4490 and the output is different from what you listed. The specs in the table seem to be the same as the iBasso DC01, can you confirm which DAC's power measurements are correct?

Last edited:
Mar 23, 2024 at 8:21 AM Post #6,308 of 6,429

I've always been looking for a DAC that consumes little or no power in standby mode so always connected to my smartphone.

I am also considering purchasing the iBasso DC02 as it does not consume power in standby mode.

One question I have is that the DC02 is an AKM4490 and the output is different from what you listed. The specs in the table seem to be the same as the iBasso DC01, can you confirm which DAC's power measurements are correct?
The AQ Dragonfly Black does not consume much power either and the amplification from it is brilliant considering. The trade off is that with it being USB A, you'll need the Dragon Tail cable to connect it to your phone - I know a lot of people don't like that. But it is still a fantastic portable DAC amp in 2024.

Mar 23, 2024 at 5:16 PM Post #6,309 of 6,429

The measures for the iBasso DC02 are correct but it has some recurring but infrequent spikes of 0.020A power use during standby. I have to say that DC02 did not sound that great to me and I returned it at speed....

I am also after DACs that consume nothing or little power while in standby and have found a lot of other DACs that do so while in stand but while sounding great (+ not consuming much at all) while in use.
From hose below I would recommend: PD06, DDHiFi TC35B, DosMic (DosMic is now difficult to find but there are some clones on Aliexpress that sound the same), PD07 rHJ-1035 ... even Meizu and T01s sounds better than DC02 to my ears...

1711228123222.png

Last edited:
Mar 24, 2024 at 11:42 AM Post #6,310 of 6,429
If you have an Aune Yuki and a pair of old Blessing 2 I recommend you try them together... truly an excellent synergy!!!

Mar 25, 2024 at 3:58 AM Post #6,311 of 6,429
TimeEar BTE-8 Bluetooth DAC is now available on Taobao & other Chinese marketplace for $49. Dual CS43131 with balanced out! Some specs:
  • Output: 3.5mm, 4.4mm
  • Wireless Chipset: Qualcomm QCC5125
  • DAC: Dual CS43131
  • Battery Capacity: 500mAh
  • Battery Life: 12 hours
  • Codec: SBC, AAC, aptX, aptX-HD, aptX-LL, LDAC, LHDC, HWA
  • Gain switch: Three stages
  • Equalizer: Three presets
Screenshot_20240325-155410.png

Last edited:
Mar 25, 2024 at 4:12 AM Post #6,312 of 6,429
TimeEar BTE-8 Bluetooth DAC is now available on Taobao & other Chinese marketplace for $49. Dual CS43131 with balanced out! Some specs:
  • Output: 3.5mm, 4.4mm
  • Wireless Chipset: Qualcomm QCC5125
  • DAC: Dual CS43131
  • Battery Capacity: 500mAh
  • Battery Life: 12 hours
  • Codec: SBC, AAC, aptX, aptX-HD, aptX-LL, LDAC, LHDC, HWA
  • Gain switch: Three stages
  • Equalizer: Three presets
Screenshot_20240325-155410.png
It would be nice if someone compares it with iBasso DC04 Pro.

Mar 25, 2024 at 4:22 AM Post #6,313 of 6,429
It would be nice if someone compares it with iBasso DC04 Pro.
could be interesting regarding sound but its still kind of apples and oranges since the ibasso doesnt offer bluetooth
TimeEar BTE-8 Bluetooth DAC is now available on Taobao & other Chinese marketplace for $49. Dual CS43131 with balanced out!
they also offer this mini dongle with an ak chip that is used in the fiio btr3 and 7hz 72 dongles. for 22 EUR it might be worth a shot: amazon link

Mar 28, 2024 at 11:21 AM Post #6,315 of 6,429
The measures for the iBasso DC02 are correct but it has some recurring but infrequent spikes of 0.020A power use during standby. I have to say that DC02 did not sound that great to me and I returned it at speed....

I am also after DACs that consume nothing or little power while in standby and have found a lot of other DACs that do so while in stand but while sounding great (+ not consuming much at all) while in use.
From hose below I would recommend: PD06, DDHiFi TC35B, DosMic (DosMic is now difficult to find but there are some clones on Aliexpress that sound the same), PD07 rHJ-1035 ... even Meizu and T01s sounds better than DC02 to my ears...
Thank you for your recommendation!

I received the Aklaim PD6 today and tested it out, and I love both the small form factor and the sound.

The only disappointment is that the battery drain is higher than expected, even when not playing anything and not plugging in headphones. It consumed about the same or slightly more than my Hiby FC3 or Tempotec BHD Pro.

I'll be checking out your list Meizu products and the BGVP T01s soon.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back