USB-C to 3.5mm adapters (DAC) - Let's find the best
Mar 16, 2024 at 1:41 PM Post #6,256 of 6,488
@brjoon1021

This is the current output from the phone connected to the Aceele which in turn is connected to the powerbank and the RU7.

senzaaceele.jpg

This is the current output from the powerbank connected to the Aceele which in turn is connected to the powerbank and the RU7.

conaceele.jpg

Result: the phone doesn't give up even a thousandth of an ampere while connected, instead the powerbank supplies 0.27 amps to power the dongle and the hub since the phone doesn't charge.

P.S. I hope we can move forward :wink:

Mar 16, 2024 at 1:46 PM Post #6,257 of 6,488
Engineers think most of our pursuits are crazy:
Cables sound
USB sound
Battery vs switching vs linear PSU
Different DAC chips having sound etc ..
So we are out in the weeds in these ideas, but I think I heard a way-worth-it improvement when I hooked my 5v wiim pro plus streamer to a battery brick and then some again when I put those supercapacitor USB and c to c cable between brick and streamer. Really improvement or confirmation bias? Only God knows

Mar 16, 2024 at 1:54 PM Post #6,258 of 6,488
"
expand...
There's no such thing as a seamless switching from one PS to the other. The music
Engineers think most of our pursuits are crazy:
Cables sound
USB sound
Battery vs switching vs linear PSU
Different DAC chips having sound etc ..
So we are out in the weeds in these ideas, but I think I heard a way-worth-it improvement when I hooked my 5v wiim pro plus streamer to a battery brick and then some again when I put those supercapacitor USB and c to c cable between brick and streamer. Really improvement or confirmation bias? Only God knows
@brjoon1021

This is the current output from the phone connected to the Aceele which in turn is connected to the powerbank and the RU7.

senzaaceele.jpg

This is the current output from the powerbank connected to the Aceele which in turn is connected to the powerbank and the RU7.

conaceele.jpg

Result: the phone doesn't give up even a thousandth of an ampere while connected, instead the powerbank supplies 0.27 amps to power the dongle and the hub since the phone doesn't charge.

P.S. I hope we can move forward :wink:
Are you streaming music while taking these measurements ?
"
expand...
There's no such thing as a seamless switching from one PS to the other. The music must stop even if for a fraction of a second
must stop even if for a fraction of a second" - is true.

Mar 16, 2024 at 1:54 PM Post #6,259 of 6,488
It's probably overkill.

But I'm trying to provide cleaner power to the dongle.

The same ideas are covered more than you would ever want to read by googling / youtubing something like:
"Do linear power supplies sound better ?"
"Linear power supply versus switching power supply"
In forums

Short video:

Switching power supplies like the USB ones we usually use have noise so a capacitor or supercapacitor bank filters that out for reasons that I don't understand very well.

All of those gadgets I linked to take the power from a battery or a switching mode power supply store it and then let it out with less or no noise as I understand it.
Somebody here with some electrical engineering background would have a lot more to say perhaps they will read this thread and reply

Okay, thank you for the reply. So from my 5y/o brain, a "supercapacitor" in this context is being used to filter out the noise yeah?
https://vi.aliexpress.com/item/1005006205382131.html So this link is just a c-c cable, with a supercapacitor to supposedly clear the noise
vi.aliexpress.com/item/1005005202526229.html This one is supposedly like the iSilencer yeah? So you'd use this on the data port
https://a.aliexpress.com/_mPR3V8S This is to clear the noise of the switch power supply? 12V in > 12V out. 24V in > 24V out

https://a.aliexpress.com/_m0TDSS6 Similar to the thing above, it's also use to clear noise. But this thing is used for linear power supply? (It's in the description)
If i got any of this wrong, please correct me

Mar 16, 2024 at 1:58 PM Post #6,260 of 6,488
Possibly all you are seeing is the current coming from your power brick to power the bank alone. The banks take a surprising amount of power in the tests I linked to.

Anyway, probably beating a dead horse here. I'm not going to use it anymore and you can use it If it helps in your pursuit. we can leave it at that as we are all just in the friendly pursuit of enjoyment of our music.

Last edited:
Mar 16, 2024 at 2:05 PM Post #6,261 of 6,488
Okay, thank you for the reply. So from my 5y/o brain, a "supercapacitor" in this context is being used to filter out the noise yeah?
https://vi.aliexpress.com/item/1005006205382131.html So this link is just a c-c cable, with a supercapacitor to supposedly clear the noise
vi.aliexpress.com/item/1005005202526229.html This one is supposedly like the iSilencer yeah? So you'd use this on the data port
https://a.aliexpress.com/_mPR3V8S This is to clear the noise of the switch power supply? 12V in > 12V out. 24V in > 24V out

https://a.aliexpress.com/_m0TDSS6 Similar to the thing above, it's also use to clear noise. But this thing is used for linear power supply? (It's in the description)
If i got any of this wrong, please correct me
I think the descriptions are sometimes off, probably a loss in translation ? Particularly, I don't think any of them are meant to be used with a linear power supply because what we are trying to do is imitate a linear power supply on the cheap. If you already have a linear power supply you're there, but you spent quite a bit more money to get there.

All of those devices are capacitance oriented via supercapacitors or capacitors. They then should, as I understand it with my limited knowledge, provide a better cleaner power for the dongle to amplify the music signal with. Or to put it another way the same benefits of buying a better switching power supply or even pay more money and getting an audiophile linear power supply.

I hope and think that some of these goals are achieved by putting these capacitance devices in line with a cheaper switching power supply (The ones that come with everything...). Better switching power supplies are iFi, sbooster. Allo claims there's is pretty good on their site but their store has been down for a while so don't know about that company anymore.

I think I'm just going to do battery brick to supercapacitor to dongle as much as I can

Mar 16, 2024 at 2:10 PM Post #6,262 of 6,488
I don't know what the ifi isilencer does or I should say I don't know how it does it ? I have it too. The orange one does nothing that might be called Idefender ? It only helps you if you have a ground loop.

but the black one the Isilencer (can't keep the names of the black and orange one straight?) is supposed to clean up USB noise. Audioscience review who I don't really like but they're useful in some ways tested it and said it's crap along with audio quest jitterbug and all that stuff they say there is nothing to be filtered out of USB If USB doesn't work at all you have a dropout. There's no sound quality there's only dropouts but other people disagree again.

Weeds weeds weeds weeds.... To some degree I don't believe measurements tell the whole story, but I also know we are very subjective creatures. It's been proven numerous times that if you give the very same wine to a sommelier (a professional wine taster, or "golden ears" of the taste bud community) but you pour it out of a crappy cheap brand bottle and then you pour that same wine out of its original expensive bottle they'll give it a different score repeatedly over and over again. I think when we sit down to listen to a song after switching a part or a cable we're listening more intently and we've already stored up a little bit of memory from what we last heard and we're going to hear differences whether they are there or not, I'm afraid ? At least sometimes....

So some of this I just do for peace of mind And because other people recommend it

Last edited:
Mar 16, 2024 at 2:18 PM Post #6,263 of 6,488
Chris.jpg

Going back to the dongles a bit... the AKHC4 with iHA-6 and HE6 makes you listen to Chris Botti in Night Sessions in a truly unique way. :darthsmile:

Mar 16, 2024 at 2:31 PM Post #6,264 of 6,488

Going back to the dongles a bit... the AKHC4 with iHA-6 and HE6 makes you listen to Chris Botti in Night Sessions in a truly unique way. :darthsmile:
Is the HC4 one of your best?

I haven't bought a dongle since before Christmas.

My hands are starting to shake.

Maybe it could be the one ? It has the same chipset as my streamer (like it and amazing for the money) Wiim Pro plus.

I keep thinking about the Yuki too

Mar 16, 2024 at 2:40 PM Post #6,265 of 6,488
Is the HC4 one of your best?

I haven't bought a dongle since before Christmas.

My hands are starting to shake.

Maybe it could be the one ? It has the same chipset as my streamer (like it and amazing for the money) Wiim Pro plus.

I keep thinking about the Yuki too
The AKHC4 is really excellent and for 212 euros it has a very high quality/price ratio... in terms of sound I definitely put it among the best without any doubt. It's a shame that little is said about it and that practically no one has reviewed it. I find it much better than the Yuki which in the end is a DC04PRO with a different type of amplification... that's all.

Mar 16, 2024 at 2:56 PM Post #6,266 of 6,488
The AKHC4 is really excellent and for 212 euros it has a very high quality/price ratio... in terms of sound I definitely put it among the best without any doubt. It's a shame that little is said about it and that practically no one has reviewed it. I find it much better than the Yuki which in the end is a DC04PRO with a different type of amplification... that's all.
Thanks for the input. I may get one.

Are you down on the DC04 Pro now? I'd have to say it's still one of my favorites.

The real sleeper and surprise one out of all the dongles I have is the M12 it is FANTASTIC. Actually the ovidious B1 made by Linsoul is pretty fantastic too. The others I have are expected to be goodbye wide report: RU7, RU6 FC6, DC04 Pro, centrance dacport HD, mojo 2 etc... but only Andy and his golden ear friend and I think Larry Fulton love the ovidius and Andy still has the dacport as his top one or two favorites of all time.

But my use is really different You guys.
Dongles go straight into my tube preamp and out my home stereo so I'm only driving a static 50 ohm load... ever.

Last edited:
Mar 16, 2024 at 3:18 PM Post #6,267 of 6,488
People are starting to talk well about the Acoustune AS2002 but not many people have tried it yet. The price is high but they say so is its performance. The DC04PRO was one of the first dongles to provide very detailed but not scratchy sound and for this reason it will always have a special place in my heart. But I'm noticing that dongles are drifting a bit like daps, meaning that if they don't cost close to 300 euros no one will consider them (in fact the Acoustune costs almost 300 euros). A few months ago only the best dongles cost near 300 euros, now it seems to be the minimum to get a good-sounding dongle. Which is very wrong, because the right sound and the right cost should always have priority in a dongle and in fact Astell & Kern has not exaggerated with the price of its AKHC4 and perhaps also for this reason it is not highly regarded... but for me it remains a mistake because the engineers at Astell & Kern know how to deal with sound and not only in their 4k euro daps. (personal opinion)

Mar 16, 2024 at 3:51 PM Post #6,268 of 6,488
Earmen has a sale going
People are starting to talk well about the Acoustune AS2002 but not many people have tried it yet. The price is high but they say so is its performance. The DC04PRO was one of the first dongles to provide very detailed but not scratchy sound and for this reason it will always have a special place in my heart. But I'm noticing that dongles are drifting a bit like daps, meaning that if they don't cost close to 300 euros no one will consider them (in fact the Acoustune costs almost 300 euros). A few months ago only the best dongles cost near 300 euros, now it seems to be the minimum to get a good-sounding dongle. Which is very wrong, because the right sound and the right cost should always have priority in a dongle and in fact Astell & Kern has not exaggerated with the price of its AKHC4 and perhaps also for this reason it is not highly regarded... but for me it remains a mistake because the engineers at Astell & Kern know how to deal with sound and not only in their 4k euro daps. (personal opinion)

on

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240316-125047.png
    Screenshot_20240316-125047.png
    307.8 KB · Views: 0
Mar 16, 2024 at 11:10 PM Post #6,269 of 6,488
I personally feel the UA3 is cleaner than the DC04 Pro however, i love the DC04 Pro too

Users who are viewing this thread

Back