USB Audio Player PRO (UAPP): 24- and 32-bit playback, ubiquitous USB audio support for Android
Sep 9, 2022 at 12:59 AM Post #5,581 of 6,195
Longtime UAPP user here, relatively new to head-fi and appreciating all the great help and information shared here!

I'm probably not the only one here who started using UAPP after buying an external dac/amp for my Samsung Galaxy S10+ and learning that the phone did not provide native support for audio over USB. Enter UAPP, which of course has its own USB audio device driver to circumvent the issue. (Spotify, Amazon Music, et al, not so much.)

I just got my new Galaxy S22+, and I was curious to see if the same situation remains. And yes, not only does the S22+ still require UAPP to make use of an external dac/amp, it now has an additional level of warning notices that are triggered whenever I plug in the dac/amp. (Apparently, the S22+ believes that the external dac/amp might be some sort of recording device, and it's flagging the fact that it hasn't been granted record permission. But of course it's not a recording device, so as far as I know there's no way to actually give it record permission.) Not the end of the world, just one more annoying hoop I have to jump through every time I plug in an external dac/amp to my S22+.

If you're here and you own a Galaxy phone, then I'm sure you already know what I'm talking about. I'm not sure why Samsung still won't adhere to the accepted USB audio class specification in their phones. (Also not sure, now that I think of it, why I bought another one!)

Anyway, because the newer Galaxy phones do not have audio jacks anymore, using an external dac/amp or dongle will naturally become much more common. I even see inexpensive dongles (like this one: Samsung Galaxy S22 Ultra Headphone Adapter) that also include a dac chip. The description of this product seems to suggest that you can just plug it in and play your music, but will the dac even be used in most cases? Or will the new user of this product need to install UAPP to successfully circumvent the pre-existing lack of support for audio over USB? It seems like I'm missing something here. Can anyone enlighten me?

(Or just tell me I should stop using my phone for music. That might also work.)

Thank you!

Sep 9, 2022 at 6:39 AM Post #5,582 of 6,195
Hi guys
It's still the case that UApp cannot apply PEQ once bit perfect is enabled, right?
I've enabled PEQ (slider is on) and set "bit perfect when possible" and now I see my DAPs are doing full MQA unfolding while the slider is still on.
I assume the PEQ is deactivated though the slider is on, right? Once trying to enter the PEQ menue UApp is bringing the usual pop-up saying that bit perfect mode is enabled.

Sep 9, 2022 at 7:21 AM Post #5,584 of 6,195
Huh? If you apply DSP then it's per definition not bit perfect anymore. There is no way to do EQ and bit perfect output at the same time. This will never change just in case you are waiting for them to make it possible.
OK, let me rephrase:
Is it possible to do full MQA unfolding plus applying PEQ like Roon?

Sep 9, 2022 at 7:24 AM Post #5,585 of 6,195
Huh? If you apply DSP then it's per definition not bit perfect anymore. There is no way to do EQ and bit perfect output at the same time. This will never change just in case you are waiting for them to make it possible.

FYI, EQ and MQA can be done, just not with UAPP. Roon is one example where you can do both.

Sep 9, 2022 at 7:31 AM Post #5,587 of 6,195
No worries and no need to get upset.
I got my answer.
Thx guys!

Sep 14, 2022 at 12:30 AM Post #5,589 of 6,195
So I have to apologize for noob question of the day in advance, but here goes. I'm using usb audio player pro app on my fiio x7m2, running tidal from the app. I'm logged into tidal through my account, but for some reason I cannot find any of my existing playlists. I feel like I'm missing something here, but I don't know what it is.

Help a knucklehead out!

Sep 14, 2022 at 8:39 AM Post #5,590 of 6,195
On mine, it's there by tapping the heart and scroll down to "my playlists", right below "my artists".

Sep 16, 2022 at 6:51 PM Post #5,591 of 6,195
How come the v20 is not there? What is the difference?

Sorry for the late response. I don't come here as often as I used to.

I had to read up on this discussion from 1.5 years ago. I was answering a post about MQA enabled LG phones and whether a user still needs to purchase UAPP's MQA add-on for such phones. My answer was they DON'T need to purchase the add-on if the phone has hardware MQA and is supported by UAPP. LG V30, V35, V40, V50, G7 and G8 do have that, and so they don't need the add-on. Same is true with external USB DACs supporting MQA. To my understanding V20 does NOT have hardware MQA -- but of course can still play MQA tracks using UAPP's add-on, which will perform first unfold.

I hope that clarifies. Feel free to correct me if my understanding about V20 is incorrect.

Last edited:
Sep 19, 2022 at 9:58 AM Post #5,592 of 6,195
Is there any way to add album art in the playlists. Its hard to differentiate my playlist with just text. 🥲

Sep 22, 2022 at 12:11 PM Post #5,594 of 6,195
Have used UAPP off and on over the years, purchased (long ago) from Google Play store. Setting up UAPP v6.0.8.4 on an iBasso DX320, latest software, uses Android 11.

Is there a way....in the Library View, to have UAPP sort/list the contents of /sd_card/Music/ as the folder structure?

Or...which would be the same Library view (in the way I've setup that folder structure) as:

Boston....then when clicking on Boston.....it shows the albums by Boston I have.....then when I click on an album......it shows the song list of that album.
Pink Floyd......click....shows Pink Floyd albums....click....shows song list.
And so on...

I'm not talking about Folder view.....this is archaic.

Poweramp can do this in it's equivalent 'Library' or main 'Music' view (and excels at it). Swipe controls (left/right and up/down) to navigate between albums, songs, artists....depending on what screen is current. Poweramp gets the album artwork correct also (whether imbedded or from placing a cover.jpg in the album folder if not).

I'm liking the music presentation/sound in my system of UAPP better at this time over Poweramp and Neutron. If it's a redo of my library of tags, metadata, etc to get the Library view to support this.....well, maybe I'll do that.

Any ideas or settings I'm not finding?

Sep 22, 2022 at 3:19 PM Post #5,595 of 6,195
Have used UAPP off and on over the years, purchased (long ago) from Google Play store. Setting up UAPP v6.0.8.4 on an iBasso DX320, latest software, uses Android 11.

Is there a way....in the Library View, to have UAPP sort/list the contents of /sd_card/Music/ as the folder structure?

Or...which would be the same Library view (in the way I've setup that folder structure) as:

Boston....then when clicking on Boston.....it shows the albums by Boston I have.....then when I click on an album......it shows the song list of that album.
Pink Floyd......click....shows Pink Floyd albums....click....shows song list.
And so on...

I'm not talking about Folder view.....this is archaic.

Poweramp can do this in it's equivalent 'Library' or main 'Music' view (and excels at it). Swipe controls (left/right and up/down) to navigate between albums, songs, artists....depending on what screen is current. Poweramp gets the album artwork correct also (whether imbedded or from placing a cover.jpg in the album folder if not).

I'm liking the music presentation/sound in my system of UAPP better at this time over Poweramp and Neutron. If it's a redo of my library of tags, metadata, etc to get the Library view to support this.....well, maybe I'll do that.

Any ideas or settings I'm not finding?

When you select Library View, which "tag" headers for sorting do you see at the top of the screen?
I see "Artist", and one called "Album-Artist" that I created in JRiver Media Center when ripping my CDs. If I select either one, I see a list of artists, and if I select one of the artists, I see a list of their albums, with the tracks listed if I click on the album.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back