USB Audio Player PRO (UAPP): 24- and 32-bit playback, ubiquitous USB audio support for Android
Mar 20, 2021 at 2:10 PM Post #4,651 of 6,201
I'm not sure that it verifies every restart, but I think it does at least once per day.
To get the specifics, contact Davy at info@extreamsd.com
I run my V30+ wifi off almost permanently, and with no SIM so there is no way for UAPP to verify the license. The only time I turn wifi on is access a samba share or to update UAPP, so I can go for weeks without connecting and have had no verfification issues. I do remember though, that it did take quite a while after purchase for UAPP to verify the license, and I'm sure I've read a comment from Davy somewhere that it can sometimes take a while. Once verified, you shouldn't need to connect for repeated verification.

Mar 20, 2021 at 6:34 PM Post #4,653 of 6,201
Is there a way that I can remotely control UAPP running on my DAP from my iOS device (iPhone or iPad)? Control over WiFi, with both UAPP device and iOS device on the same network, would be ideal, rather than using Bluetooth.
Yes!

In UAPP, start UPnP Renderer, which will make it a UPnP renderer and library.

Then on your iOS device, install mConnect (or other UPnP control point). It should see the UAPP UPnP Renderer and let you choose it as destination. You can then play music EITHER stored locally on the mConnect device OR streamed from Tidal or Qobuz, directly on the UAPP device. You log into Tidal/Qobuz in mConnect and it pulls the stream from the streaming service and passes it to the UAPP UPnP renderer.

You can also play files stored on the UAPP device by accessing the UAPP Library in mConnect, in which case UAPP picks up that it's playing a local file and avoids receiving it over the network.

I don't know about iOS, but on Android there are many UPnP control point apps, of which BubbleUPnP is the most famous and the most well developed. It has a slightly unwieldy UI, because it has SO MUCH functionality. But it can be trimmed down to exactly what you need. It's a very powerful app.

But for streaming from Tidal, mConnect has the advantage of full MQA support, whereas BubbleUPnP only supports the HiFi layer (max 16/44). Any HiRes Master tracks are down-sampled and truncated to 16/44 by Tidal, the same as if you select HiFi Quality in the Tidal app.

Interestingly, that still works for 16/44 MQA files, although they won't have any origami to unfold. Other MQA tracks with 44KHz base sample rate (such as the 2L ones) will be truncated to 16-bit, but not re-sampled, and STILL authenticate on an MQA DAC. The article linked below describes how that is possible. Of course much information is still lost in that truncation.

https://bobtalks.co.uk/blog/science-mqa/16b-mqa-what-is-it/#

For users who don't care about MQA, I recommend BubbleUPnP over mConnect. In addition to 50X as many features, Bubble has a very responsive Dev, whereas mConnect have not responded to anything I wrote, despite the fact that I bought their app.

Last edited:
Mar 20, 2021 at 8:12 PM Post #4,654 of 6,201
The article linked below describes how that is possible.
The problem is that this assumes that the original is based on an "approved studio master" and we know for a fact this is not true with a lot of music on TIDAL, with both artists and mastering engineers saying that their music appeared as MQA without any consultation. Since a music file that originated as 16/44.1 has no high-res content, then there is nothing to "unfold" and no MQA data, as people have shown comparing TIDAL HiFi 16/44.1 to the same 16/44.1 MQA files, where both are identical.

If you want an "approved studio master" then sign up for Qobuz, and/or switch back to the HiFi level on TIDAL. MQA is basically The Empereror's New Music.

Mar 20, 2021 at 11:00 PM Post #4,655 of 6,201
Geez, again?

:deadhorse:

You also misread my post, which merely mentioned a technical MQA oddity (that MQA certificates remain intact after truncation). Read it again, study the context, try and understand what is actually being said. Even then, I am not debating your crusade in this thread.

Last edited:
Mar 20, 2021 at 11:15 PM Post #4,656 of 6,201
@Currawong I appreciate your diligence in explaining the truth about MQA. Don’t let up. Your voice is louder than most since your internet/YouTube reviews are excellent and respected. AudiophileStyle / ComputerAudiophile used to have the best MQA thread, but it has become less than civil and no longer scientific. Cheers.

Last edited:
Mar 21, 2021 at 5:10 AM Post #4,657 of 6,201
Hi Davy,
After last update UAPP don't display album art, when playing from single tracks and plus losing selected background color (in this case black background turns to dark gray).

Thank you for your work

Attachments

• 1616317747723.png
    1616317747723.png
    302.6 KB · Views: 0
  • 1616317784266.png
    1616317784266.png
    183.4 KB · Views: 0
Mar 21, 2021 at 5:32 AM Post #4,658 of 6,201
Yes!

In UAPP, start UPnP Renderer, which will make it a UPnP renderer and library.

Then on your iOS device, install mConnect (or other UPnP control point). It should see the UAPP UPnP Renderer and let you choose it as destination. You can then play music EITHER stored locally on the mConnect device OR streamed from Tidal or Qobuz, directly on the UAPP device. You log into Tidal/Qobuz in mConnect and it pulls the stream from the streaming service and passes it to the UAPP UPnP renderer.

You can also play files stored on the UAPP device by accessing the UAPP Library in mConnect, in which case UAPP picks up that it's playing a local file and avoids receiving it over the network.

I don't know about iOS, but on Android there are many UPnP control point apps, of which BubbleUPnP is the most famous and the most well developed. It has a slightly unwieldy UI, because it has SO MUCH functionality. But it can be trimmed down to exactly what you need. It's a very powerful app.

But for streaming from Tidal, mConnect has the advantage of full MQA support, whereas BubbleUPnP only supports the HiFi layer (max 16/44). Any HiRes Master tracks are down-sampled and truncated to 16/44 by Tidal, the same as if you select HiFi Quality in the Tidal app.

Interestingly, that still works for 16/44 MQA files, although they won't have any origami to unfold. Other MQA tracks with 44KHz base sample rate (such as the 2L ones) will be truncated to 16-bit, but not re-sampled, and STILL authenticate on an MQA DAC. The article linked below describes how that is possible. Of course much information is still lost in that truncation.

https://bobtalks.co.uk/blog/science-mqa/16b-mqa-what-is-it/#

For users who don't care about MQA, I recommend BubbleUPnP over mConnect. In addition to 50X as many features, Bubble has a very responsive Dev, whereas mConnect have not responded to anything I wrote, despite the fact that I bought their app.

Many thanks for that comprehensive reply. I did tinker with BubbleUPnP on my V30 when I was building an audio system based around a Raspberry Pi as means of remote control/casting.

I'm not sure of the options for iOS at the moment. UAPP is running on my Android DAP. I mainly use an iPhone for day to day (my V30 is really another DAP). I run two apps on my DAP: UAPP and Cayin Music. Last night I managed to get full remote control of my Cayin Music on my DAP using HiByLink running on my iPhone. This works perfectly for controlling Cayin Music on my DAP. I see exactly the same screen as on my DAP.

With HiByLink you're not sending any audio data from the 'remote control device' (iPhone) to the music server (DAP). It's merely controlling playback on the the target instance of Cayin Music.

I'll look into mConnect to see if it's available on iOS to control UAPP. From your description it seems like I'll be sending actual music from the UPnP client app to UAPP that UAPP then does the D-to-A conversion for. I'm wondering if there's a way to control UAPP in a similar way to HiByLink?

Also, many thanks for the 16-bit MQA link. I was wondering what the benefits are, if any, so I'll check that link out.

Mar 21, 2021 at 9:56 AM Post #4,659 of 6,201
Many thanks for that comprehensive reply. I did tinker with BubbleUPnP on my V30 when I was building an audio system based around a Raspberry Pi as means of remote control/casting.

I'm not sure of the options for iOS at the moment. UAPP is running on my Android DAP. I mainly use an iPhone for day to day (my V30 is really another DAP). I run two apps on my DAP: UAPP and Cayin Music. Last night I managed to get full remote control of my Cayin Music on my DAP using HiByLink running on my iPhone. This works perfectly for controlling Cayin Music on my DAP. I see exactly the same screen as on my DAP.

With HiByLink you're not sending any audio data from the 'remote control device' (iPhone) to the music server (DAP). It's merely controlling playback on the the target instance of Cayin Music.

I'll look into mConnect to see if it's available on iOS to control UAPP. From your description it seems like I'll be sending actual music from the UPnP client app to UAPP that UAPP then does the D-to-A conversion for. I'm wondering if there's a way to control UAPP in a similar way to HiByLink?

As usual, you are hitting the nail on the head: Audio data IS indeed transmitted over the network when using UAPP's UPnP renderer -- except when playing files stored on the UAPP device (from the UAPP Server): In that situation UAPP reads the audio file locally.

When streaming (Tidal, Qobuz etc) audio is indeed transmitted via the control point to UAPP. And that is the weakness when using UAPP as a UPnP renderer, since it can cause playback to stop or not advance to the next track, if network latency is high and/or if the control point device goes to sleep. It is particularly vulnerable when Gapless is enabled, which requires the control point to transmit the next track in parallel with the current track.

I ended up building a RPi with moOde instead of using UAPP as UPnP renderer. The benefits of that is using the OpenHome protocol (an extension of UPnP) which allows the entire playlist to be transmitted to the renderer (the RPi) including links to each Tidal track. BubbleUPnP supports OpenHome: I can close BubbleUPnP after starting playback of Tidal albums, or even turn off the device, and the RPi will continue playing the entire list. Unfortunately mConnect does not support OpenHome, just plain old UPnP. And of course UAPP doesn't support OpenHome either.

To my understanding mConnect IS available on iOS, which is why I mentioned it. In fact, I am guessing that it was developed on iOS first and ported to Android, as it doesn't look like a native Android app.

Also, many thanks for the 16-bit MQA link. I was wondering what the benefits are, if any, so I'll check that link out.

Maybe my post wasn't as clear as I thought: There is no "benefit" as such here. I merely found it odd (and a bit dubious) that 24-bit MQA tracks such as the 2L ones, which DO contain origami (higher frequency sample data) would survive as valid MQA (ie authenticate as MQA on the DAC) even after being reduced to 16-bit as a result of using BubbleUPnP. I later stumbled upon the article I linked, which explains how that can be. It's still a bit dubious, in my opinion.

NB: Nothing in this post should be construed as an endorsement -- nor a derision -- of MQA. Debate about the merits of MQA belong elsewhere.

Last edited:
Mar 21, 2021 at 8:24 PM Post #4,660 of 6,201
Geez, again?
Yes, sorry, you did make a good point about that, but I wanted to address other people about the dishonesty in the article you posted about the so-called "masters". I probably should have worded it to say that I wasn't directing my reply at you so much as at everyone.

My fundamental perspective about the whole UAPP discussion is this: People are using it to improve the quality of their music playback. A number of the questions in the thread relate to how to get UAPP to play MQA files back with various devices. Since the majority of MQA-encoded music on TIDAL has degraded sound quality, something a lot of people are not aware of, it goes against the purpose of using UAPP in the first place. So, as crazy as it will sound to people, the most optimum way to play back MQA is not to use the MQA versions at all, except in the rare cases where it has been given the "white glove" treatment (eg: Beatles re-masters, where it has basically been put through some kind of compression to enhance the quieter sounds).

(Listening to dZihan and Kamien with UAPP on a Cayin N6ii as I write this.)

Mar 21, 2021 at 10:49 PM Post #4,661 of 6,201
Yes, sorry, you did make a good point about that, but I wanted to address other people about the dishonesty in the article you posted about the so-called "masters". I probably should have worded it to say that I wasn't directing my reply at you so much as at everyone.

Thank you. I appreciate your civility.

Yet, here we are again, effectively crashing this thread to debate the merits of MQA, rather than the use of UAPP -- whose Dev specifically added MQA functionality to the app. And as before I refuse to choose a side in that debate.

On the facts: Tidal used to provide original non-MQA versions alongside most Master albums. Regrettably, they no longer do that. Maybe for some albums, but not in the classical genre where I spend my time.

And it is a myth that selecting Tidal HiFi Quality setting will give you a "more original MQA free version". It will merely give you a 16-bit truncated version (in the case of 24-bit tracks) and/or a down-sampled version (in the case of Master tracks with 48KHz base sample rate). I find that regrettable too, but it is a fact: If you look inside these tracks from the HiFi tier, you will find the MQA origami still present, but now trashed from the truncation and/or resampling. So you get all the downside and no benefits. In almost all cases will you get better audio quality on Tidal by accepting their Master feed -- or go somewhere else if you want to avoid MQA.

I too have repeatedly complained about the millions of 16/44 Masters on Tidal (mostly from Warner) which do not contain any origami and thus do not represent any improved SQ. But those who strive to avoid MQA should have no problem with those tracks. Just don't use an MQA DAC, and you will never know. Or, again, go to another service. I am NOT one of those rooting for Tidal to fail, as I've seen many in other forums and threads do.

I have already broken my earlier promise here not to feed the MQA debate fire in this thread, so I'll leave it at that. Once again, I can take both sides, but I don't believe this is the place for that debate.

Last edited:
Mar 22, 2021 at 9:59 AM Post #4,662 of 6,201
@Currawong I appreciate your diligence in explaining the truth about MQA. Don’t let up. Your voice is louder than most since your internet/YouTube reviews are excellent and respected. AudiophileStyle / ComputerAudiophile used to have the best MQA thread, but it has become less than civil and no longer scientific. Cheers.

As someone who has a genuine technical interest in MQA, I find it extremely difficult to get the facts about what is actually happening when playing MQA tracks. I have read numerous articles on this and still end up confused (what the heck is a 16/44.1 Master when MQA encoded?). It doesn't help that most threads don't reference factual information and seem to be driven mostly by subjective opinions rather than science. Bob Stuart's blog kind of makes sense but I see repeated comments that the information has been "debunked" somewhere. Agree totally that the AudiophileStyle thread is the best thread (that I have found) but it's full of conflicting information (and opinions)...

I guess I'll go listen to some maybe hi-res (or maybe not) MQA tracks now... :rolling_eyes:

Mar 22, 2021 at 10:24 AM Post #4,663 of 6,201
I just got my Hiby FC3 USB DAC. I'm using it on my Xiaomi Mi 9T Pro and downloaded the UAAP Trial.
I'm playing the album Southern Blood - Gregg Allman whic is MQA quality.
But my Hiby FC3 only has the blue light on, which is supposed to mean 32-48kHz quality. for MQA playback it should be purple?

What do I need to do in the settings in the UAAP app?

Mar 22, 2021 at 10:48 AM Post #4,664 of 6,201
I just got my Hiby FC3 USB DAC. I'm using it on my Xiaomi Mi 9T Pro and downloaded the UAAP Trial.
I'm playing the album Southern Blood - Gregg Allman whic is MQA quality.
But my Hiby FC3 only has the blue light on, which is supposed to mean 32-48kHz quality. for MQA playback it should be purple?

What do I need to do in the settings in the UAAP app?

You will need bitperfect = "on" or "when possible" at a minimum. Because the FC3 is a MQA Renderer you will also need the MQA add-on. I don't know if that works in the trial or not... (never used the trial version). :sunglasses:

Mar 22, 2021 at 11:10 AM Post #4,665 of 6,201
I've put it on "when possible".
But I do get a notification that MQA is not available in the trial.
Screenshot_2021-03-22-15-25-51-056_com.extreamsd.usbaudioplayerprotrial.jpg

What is more worrying to me is that the dac seems to disconnect when i pick up my phone. Usb connection seems unreliable :frowning2:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back