USB Audio Player PRO (UAPP): 24- and 32-bit playback, ubiquitous USB audio support for Android
Oct 25, 2019 at 3:01 PM Post #3,167 of 6,175
If you have Android Platform Tools / ADB, connect your device to computer over usb, have developer options enabled and usb debugging turned on, and in terminal, type adb shell then enter then type dumpsys media.audio_flinger then enter you get what android system is reporting for sample rate. test it yourself.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2019 at 3:05 PM Post #3,168 of 6,175
Oct 25, 2019 at 8:20 PM Post #3,169 of 6,175
Hello! I`d like to know your opinion...
Here:
http://4pda.ru/forum/index.php?showtopic=194117&view=findpost&p=90166641
the developer of another player(Poweramp) claims that you are deceiving everyone, and supposedly the tracks from your player are down-sampled. In confirmation, he even brings some sort of screen from the terminal, looking at which, I would have to believe that downsampling is present.
I repeat, I would really like to know the opinion of the UAPP developers on this matter. And most importantly, I would like someone more knowledgeable than me to be able to enter into a polemic if necessary, because personally it seems to me that just what Mr. MaxMP claims - this is a real lie...
It's been pointed out in this thread very recently that UAPP does not use Android audioflinger but rather other dedicated audio APIs provided by manufacturers where available... And the bugged result of trying to use UAPP HiRes on our players which do not provide such an API certainly attests to that (although as I pointed out, in our case simply enabling variable sample rate output on standard Android driver allows the same results on PCM audio)

HiBy Stay updated on HiBy at their facebook, website or email (icons below). Stay updated on HiBy at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/hibycom https://store.hiby.com/ service@hiby.com
Oct 26, 2019 at 5:56 AM Post #3,170 of 6,175
Hello! I`d like to know your opinion...
Here:
http://4pda.ru/forum/index.php?showtopic=194117&view=findpost&p=90166641
the developer of another player(Poweramp) claims that you are deceiving everyone, and supposedly the tracks from your player are down-sampled. In confirmation, he even brings some sort of screen from the terminal, looking at which, I would have to believe that downsampling is present.
I repeat, I would really like to know the opinion of the UAPP developers on this matter. And most importantly, I would like someone more knowledgeable than me to be able to enter into a polemic if necessary, because personally it seems to me that just what Mr. MaxMP claims - this is a real lie...

The screenshot is true. The app can never know which actual sample rate is used. The real question is which Android device this is and which flags and format is used.

Last edited:
Oct 26, 2019 at 6:05 AM Post #3,171 of 6,175
Hi, Davy,

I am a long year UAPP fan (with my old OnePlus 3T and tried it also with OP 6 of my son). In the last Year I didn't even need my the LH GeekOut Infinity v2 USB, because after tweaking the internal Hires parameters the SQ with the builtin DAC is sufficiently good without an extrernal DAC.

Just some observations and one "request":

In contrast to the recommendation to set the HIRes driver audio format to auto, I coud get markedly better sound with fixed bit depth of 32 - at the cost of battery consumption, which I am willing to pay for it. Just with this is now on par with the HiBy SQ (and also battery drain).
This is interesting, because the builtin Snapdragon WCD9xxx DAC officially only supports 24 bit (but obviously doesn't reject 32 bit input).

Is there an explanation for it? (My best guess: internally takes places a conversion to 32 bit which is of lower quality than the algorithms of UAPP). This observation could be important, when this is valid for all of the WCD9xxx of the many Snapdragon SOCs.

I also found upsampling to a multiple of the input is definitely beneficial for SQ. With my RME Babyface on PC it is even displayed by the performance indicators, that such an upsampling takes place internally within the DAC if it is fed with a lower sampling rate input.

Another previous observation with external DACs: by attaching an external power supply (by attaching the DAC to a good quality powered HUB) I got a night and day improvement, over a range of DACs I have tried. (This applied also to the PC USB - e.g. my RME BF became my best DAC, better than the DSD capable LH GOV2 with HQPlayer).

To MQA:

a.) I don't see why the limitiation to BitPerfect with MQA playback is necessary, it makes the excellent parametric equalizer unusable. Only in connection with an MQA-capable HW seems this reasonable, but after having to convert it to PCM, a processing should be possible?

b.) I cannot quite understand, how MQA (from Tidal) can sound so dramatically better than normal CD when playing it through the MQA AddOn (which I purchased). I would expect that the biggest improvement is in the BitDepth of 24 bit, and that is in the unfolded MQA with 24 bit isn't it ?
If not so, shouldn't be rather 16 bit displayed while playing back without the AddOn? (With normal PCM files I couldn't make any big difference with higher sample rates, but very much with bitdepth over 16 bit.)

And to my Request: I am using "Other Radio Stations" a lot as relatively good quality Classical and Jazz sources (the few broadcating in flac appear to vanish, but 320kb is often just enjoyable while travelling). Could You consider please to display the Meta Date of the just playing music, VLC player can do this also on Android?

1) I'm sorry, I have no idea. Usually, the hires config of a device supports multiple formats. In the end they should all sound the same when feeding 24-bit
4a) We are not allowed to since you don't get the 'authored' MQA sound
4b) That's the whole purpose of MQA isn't it: that it sounds better! The MQA file is created from high quality masters (usually anyway), so this means higher sample rate and greater bit depth. This information is kept to a certain degree in the MQA file and gets lost on a 16-bit 44.1kHz CD. There is also more than that going on in MQA, like compensating for the filtering effects in the ADC and DAC process.

Although we definitely want to display meta data for your radio station stream, I simply lack the knowledge to do it. Sorry to be so honest, this might be uncommon for a company to do, but there you have it. For many stations from Shoutcast, I managed to do that, but apparently there is not a single method for this kind of meta data.

Oct 26, 2019 at 6:02 PM Post #3,172 of 6,175
Thank You Davy, very honest indeed, and also informative.

You are certainly more in the position to be heard Your opinion regarding MQA restrictions regarding DSP Usage, so my considerations:

The primary need for using an EQ is by the huge and probably growing community of aging audiophiles is a massive one: to compensate for high frequency hearing loss and as such is comparable to using spectacles. Nobody would deny using eyeglasses to visitors of an art gallery, just for sake of unaltered visual perception - rather to the contrary, an authentic perception could only be restored by using such correction tools. I personally have a 1,5 kHz wide 8-10 dB bump around 4 kHz at least for the last 30 Years, and now above 60 I have to apply a high shelf additionally to compensate for age-dependent loss above 10 kHz.

In addition to this to compensate for some gear specifics should also be considered as legitimate.

BR. Attila

Oct 26, 2019 at 7:27 PM Post #3,173 of 6,175

You are certainly more in the position to be heard Your opinion regarding MQA restrictions regarding DSP Usage, so my considerations:

The primary need for using an EQ is by the huge and probably growing community of aging audiophiles is a massive one: to compensate for high frequency hearing loss and as such is comparable to using spectacles. Nobody would deny using eyeglasses to visitors of an art gallery, just for sake of unaltered visual perception - rather to the contrary, an authentic perception could only be restored by using such correction tools. I personally have a 1,5 kHz wide 8-10 dB bump around 4 kHz at least for the last 30 Years, and now above 60 I have to apply a high shelf additionally to compensate for age-dependent loss above 10 kHz.

In addition to this to compensate for some gear specifics should also be considered as legitimate.

BR. Attila
Tell that to MQA... :sigh:

HiBy Stay updated on HiBy at their facebook, website or email (icons below). Stay updated on HiBy at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/hibycom https://store.hiby.com/ service@hiby.com
Oct 27, 2019 at 5:34 AM Post #3,174 of 6,175

BR. Attila

That's exactly what I told them.

Oct 27, 2019 at 6:53 AM Post #3,175 of 6,175
Hi, Davy,
Another previous observation with external DACs: by attaching an external power supply (by attaching the DAC to a good quality powered HUB) I got a night and day improvement, over a range of DACs I have tried. (This applied also to the PC USB - e.g. my RME BF became my best DAC, better than the DSD capable LH GOV2 with HQPlayer).

Another way to better the SQ of your attached portable USB DAC is by a USB Regen/Reclock device such as an LH Labs Revive or JCAT USB Isolator or the likes.

Example:
LG V20 running UAPP attached to -> LH Labs Revive (Black, USB Regen/Reclock w/ battery) and to -> LH Labs GO2Pro Signature EX (Red, USB Dac)

Wp2RL8Nl.jpg

Oct 27, 2019 at 11:57 AM Post #3,176 of 6,175
Thanks for explaining this, Davy. I assume you mean resolving the sorting issues when track queue in the playlist did not correspond to actual track order in the folder? If so, you did a pretty good job! That was actually the first issue I met and contacted you regarding that a while ago. It's really great you managed to fix it.

Anyway, if you find an alternative way to parse files and avoid long delays many people including me would be very grateful. Those, who listen through folders, usually use folders containing albums or compilations and in some cases they can grow quite large in terms of number of files inside, taking into account that modern DAPs can easily handle memory cards up to 512Gb.

I might have improved speed while retaining correct sorting order. Please send me an email at info AT extreamsd.com if you want to test a beta.

Oct 30, 2019 at 2:20 AM Post #3,179 of 6,175
@Davy Wentzler

Greetings Davy.
Long time user of your app and loving it so far (keep it up!!). I'm using it with my Asus Zenfone 6 and a Dragonfly Red (for now). I would like to ask you guys something: I use 2 google accounts on my phone. I've bought the app in one of them (the old one) but would like to transfer the license to my newer one. Is this possible?

Oct 30, 2019 at 3:43 AM Post #3,180 of 6,175
@Davy Wentzler

Greetings Davy.
Long time user of your app and loving it so far (keep it up!!). I'm using it with my Asus Zenfone 6 and a Dragonfly Red (for now). I would like to ask you guys something: I use 2 google accounts on my phone. I've bought the app in one of them (the old one) but would like to transfer the license to my newer one. Is this possible?

No, Google doesn't do that and we don't have the ability to do that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back